Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #4211
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This whole thread is about how you CAN make good beer with the mr beer, IF you follow the suggests discussed in here...That's the POINT of this thread....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #4212
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormbrew22
I'm looking into getting into homebrewing, but I'm in college and live in a dorm. Seeing as it's sorta frowned upon to brew beer in your dorm room I was looking for somethin small. The consensus seems to be that the quality of the Mr. Beer kit is kinda questionable..do you guys have any suggestions of other smaller kits id be able to use?
Many, many people on this forum who brew beer in all different ways are here because they were encouraged by the good beer that they did make with their Mr.Beer kit.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #4213
Tombstone0
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default BrewDemon

I just got an e-mail about BrewDemon. I'm pretty sure they're the company that Mr. Beer used to get their ingredients from before they were bought out by Coopers. At least I think that's what I remember from when I signed up for their list.
Their fermentor is a little 3-gallon conical. It looks kind of cool, I'm not sure that a conical is necessary a 3-gallon batch though.
I was looking at the refills and the "basic recipes" include something called Liquid Brewing Enhancer that sounds a lot like booster in liquid form. Here's their description of it:

Quote:
Adds alcohol and body to your beer and leaves a crisp dry finish. This liquid brewing sugar (LBS) contains; maize starch and water. No additives or preservatives. Brewdemon mixes feature complex blends of specialty malts, combined with the finest hops by master brewers in new zealand’s famous speight’s brewery, providing the optimum flavor profiles for world-class beers.
They also offer 6-gallon recipes. I guess we'll have to see if they go anywhere.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #4214
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I was told that it was a 2 gallon fermenter but the extra space was for krausen.
Looks different.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #4215
thaworm69
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 50

The new LBK?

http://www.brewdemon.com/

Old 12-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #4216
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm actually thinking of picking the fermenter up for small batches

Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #4217
Tombstone0
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-lord View Post
I was told that it was a 2 gallon fermenter but the extra space was for krausen.
Looks different.
It's listed as 2 gallons on the store but 3 gallons in the FAQ. It looks like the total size is about 3 gallons so it's good for fermenting 2-gallon batches.

It's like calling my 6.5-gallon buckets, 5-gallon fermentors. It's true, I use them for 5-gallon batches but they hold 6.5 gallons of liquid.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #4218
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Here she sits on the top shelf of my closet - fermenting away. Now I need to be patient. Going to check it at 2 weeks then see if it needs that extra week.

Can anyone voice some input on my estimated times for each step? My estimated times are the following:
Fermenting (in keg): 2-3 Weeks
Conditioning (in bottles): 2 Weeks
Cold Conditioning (in fridge): 1-2 Weeks

Do these times look correct to everyone in here? I would love for my first batch to come out as good as possible!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #4219
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigy View Post
Here she sits on the top shelf of my closet - fermenting away. Now I need to be patient. Going to check it at 2 weeks then see if it needs that extra week.

Can anyone voice some input on my estimated times for each step? My estimated times are the following:
Fermenting (in keg): 2-3 Weeks
Conditioning (in bottles): 2 Weeks
Cold Conditioning (in fridge): 1-2 Weeks

Do these times look correct to everyone in here? I would love for my first batch to come out as good as possible!
Looks good to me. What did you make?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #4220
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD View Post
Looks good to me. What did you make?
I made the "Classic American Light" recipe that came with my kit - low ABV and low IBU, but seems like its a good start to this whole thing.

So quick update for tonight - just want to confirm what I am seeing is actually fermentation. See the picture below. Also my closet is 71.4° so temperature is awesome in there.

Quick Reply