Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #4201
ryno1ryno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premnasbiaculeatus View Post
Seen it!? I'm in it!
Such a funny video.

I love how you captured the beer geek mantra about knowing all about the details... only to use a 15 year old can, say it was your first time then even use coconut in the batch.

Classic.

I would rather continue to believe that you were purposely mocking other newbs on youtube than hear you actually say "It was all true." :-)

I think the likelyhood that you actually had a 15 year old can is much less plausible.

Funny video!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #4202
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thought it was funny that he had no idea what "cold crashing" actually was and used it out of context at least twice.

Oh and the Fred Flintstone mash paddle too - where's the brontosaurus burgers?

How the hell could you 100% sanitize that fiber you're filtering with? There's no way even soaking it that would get all the nooks and crannies of that crap. I don't see it.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #4203
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC View Post
I thought it was funny that he had no idea what "cold crashing" actually was and used it out of context at least twice.

Oh and the Fred Flintstone mash paddle too - where's the brontosaurus burgers?

How the hell could you 100% sanitize that fiber you're filtering with? There's no way even soaking it that would get all the nooks and crannies of that crap. I don't see it.
My definition of cold crashing is any means of dropping the temperature to a point at which solid proteins coagulate out of the wort. This happens when I "ice it", and again when I add my top off. Since I don't have a fridge large enough to put my fermenter in, these two things serve functionally as a poor man's quasi cold crash in a way.

I use a clean brand new piece of filter media every time I transfer, remember we just need to kill all the microbes in it, not completely flush them out. Yet to have an infection from this.

You like that broom handle, eh? I'm a pretty low tech improvisational type of guy, If something is free and it works, why spend money on something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Such a funny video.

I love how you captured the beer geek mantra about knowing all about the details... only to use a 15 year old can, say it was your first time then even use coconut in the batch.

Classic.

I would rather continue to believe that you were purposely mocking other newbs on youtube than hear you actually say "It was all true." :-)

I think the likelyhood that you actually had a 15 year old can is much less plausible.

Funny video!
Unfortunately all true. Some like to share their successes, but I think it's a lot funnier to share my failures. I was (and still am to an extent) a super nube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmikey View Post
Ahhhhh.. so you're "that guy" then eh?

I assume you have learned and have been razzed more than I can imagine by now! Hehe...
Not as much as you'd think, sure a lot, but more people are nice about it. They tend to appreciate my honesty and humility, and overlook my gross stupidity and overconfidence, due to the intense comedic value of my complete and utter failure.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #4204
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You're forgetting the most awesome part, that you are so willing and able to laugh at yourself. Kudos to you!!

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #4205
smartass
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i had a friend who had a mr beer kit. He told me to go to the local homebrew shop and buy thier kit, so i did three years ago and now i do both extract and all grain when i got time, i think the thing is to just enjoy your new hobby and move along at your own pace it can be rewarding in many ways.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #4206
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Great video. Can't imagine getting used to drink vomit
Looking at the bright side, anything you brew after that will be an improvement.

Nilo
http://beertech.blogspot.com

Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #4207
dormbrew22
Recipes 

I'm looking into getting into homebrewing, but I'm in college and live in a dorm. Seeing as it's sorta frowned upon to brew beer in your dorm room I was looking for somethin small. The consensus seems to be that the quality of the Mr. Beer kit is kinda questionable..do you guys have any suggestions of other smaller kits id be able to use?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #4208
dormbrew22
Recipes 

http://www.smallbatchhomebrew.com/Be...quip_p_14.html

Would somethin like this be a better option?

Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #4209
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Dont let anyone tell you that you cant brew good beer in a Mr. Beer. I guess the main thing I would ask is if you live in a dorm, where will you brew? Do you have a stove in there?

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #4210
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormbrew22
http://www.smallbatchhomebrew.com/Be...quip_p_14.html

Would somethin like this be a better option?
That looks like a great option. How many gallons does one kit make since it is a 2 gallon fermentor?

Quick Reply