Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #4191
MikeBergan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTiger View Post
Thanks. Just finished getting set up and poured the yeast in and closed the lid at 8 pm. Just shined a light in the side and she is already bubbling good. Got a foam layer on top already. Good, right?
Yep, you should be good to go... just let it sit for 2 weeks and "think about itself"

Attention, please, for a very important announcement...

BEER!!!

That is all

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #4192
A_Father
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

I just finished brewing my first batch with Mr Beer. I have been wanting to brew for about 20 years and just never seem to get started. I bought the Mr Beer kit hoping it wouldn't be a waste of time, (just some supermarket gimmick). I wasn't even sure I should mention Mr Beer to serious brewers. I hoped to learn enough to buy the right equipment soon. After reading this thread I am much more excited about the whole process.

It is very nice to see a group acknowledge the fact that everyone is a beginner at one time or another.

Thanks for answering many noob type questions without having to ask!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #4193
jamesschaible
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTiger
Just got a Mr Beer thanks to the wife. I have a very newb question. Already got this first batch going and am wondering about taking the lid off to peek in. Will this be a bad thing? Don't want to do anything to spoil my first batch.
The largest enemy to home brewing is contamination. Sanitation is a major key to success. The less you open the top, the better it will be.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #4194
Otterella
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got a Mr. Beer for my husband when we got married 9 years ago. We made one batch of hard cider that exploded during conditioning. The bottles that didn't explode tasted alright, though. But we got busy and forgot about it.

Fast forward 9 years of ignoring the Mr. Beer covered with dust on a shelf in the garage. I got him a 5 gallon "grown up" kit for his birthday, and we'll be starting our sixth batch in three months tomorrow. I guess he just needed the kick in the pants that spending way more money on something will give.

But if Mr. Beer is still around in 15 years, I'll probably give it to my son for his 21st birthday. He wants to help more than he gets to, on account of being a 6 year old germ monkey.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #4195
Christ872
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBergan View Post
I have to STRONGLY recommend NOT opening the lid!!!
You would risk goofing up the fermentation process, AND maybe allowing various microbes/germs/foreign materials to get in and contaminate your brew.

Leave it closed and use a good flashlight to shine in and see what's going on.
Actually, I disagree with Mike. I've beenbrewing with Mr. Beer for quite a while. While I agree that you could risk contamination, to do so you'd really have to abuse the opening of the fermenter and the conditions you have the LBK (Little Brown Keg) in. If you did open it to perv on the beer for 10 or 15 seconds maybe once or at most twice during the 2-to-3 week fermentation process, you're really not that "at risk".

Again, a lot...A LOT!!!...will have to do with your brewing conditions (i.e. if you place the LBK under a dirty air vent or you have it proped up on a work bench next to a bunch of yard tools and whatnot...THEN you'll be more at risk. But under relative clean conditions, maybe 1 or 2 little (10 second) perv peeks is not going to doom your beer.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #4196
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with Chris. When we dry hop, we need to open the LBK to drop in the hops. 10-15 seconds is no biggie - just be careful of the surroundings and don't be right next to an open window where a wild yeast can swoop in and land in the LBK.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #4197
MikeBergan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ872 View Post
Actually, I disagree with Mike. I've beenbrewing with Mr. Beer for quite a while. While I agree that you could risk contamination, to do so you'd really have to abuse the opening of the fermenter and the conditions you have the LBK (Little Brown Keg) in. If you did open it to perv on the beer for 10 or 15 seconds maybe once or at most twice during the 2-to-3 week fermentation process, you're really not that "at risk".

Again, a lot...A LOT!!!...will have to do with your brewing conditions (i.e. if you place the LBK under a dirty air vent or you have it proped up on a work bench next to a bunch of yard tools and whatnot...THEN you'll be more at risk. But under relative clean conditions, maybe 1 or 2 little (10 second) perv peeks is not going to doom your beer.
OR - we could reference the Mr Beer instructions - which state a a big [B]BOLD[B] Caution warning "Caution: Do Not open the brew keg lid at any time during the fermentation process; this can lead to beer spoilage"

I realize that for more advanced brewers who are using proper sanitization methods that there is minimal risk. However, the OP is a novice, working on his first batch.
From that basis I stand by my advice. The fewer chances for problems, the better, for the OP to end up with results he is happy with.

Attention, please, for a very important announcement...

BEER!!!

That is all

cbmikey Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 03:40 AM   #4198
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Anybody ever see this Mr Beer fail video?

Also, dont forget to read the comments section in his YouTube.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #4199
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Anybody ever see this Mr Beer fail video?

Also, dont forget to read the comments section in his YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g09b1...e_gdata_player
Seen it!? I'm in it!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #4200
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premnasbiaculeatus View Post
Seen it!? I'm in it!
Ahhhhh.. so you're "that guy" then eh?

I assume you have learned and have been razzed more than I can imagine by now! Hehe...

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Quick Reply