Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #4181
Hellosluggo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

While looking through the upcoming Black Friday ads, I spy with my little eye Mr. Beer at Sears for $35. Dunno if that's a deal or not, but I figgered you guys might wanna know.

Teensy tiny ad right in the middle of this page:
http://www.theblackfriday.com/ads/se...day-ad57.shtml

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #4182
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellosluggo View Post
While looking through the upcoming Black Friday ads, I spy with my little eye Mr. Beer at Sears for $35. Dunno if that's a deal or not, but I figgered you guys might wanna know.

That's OK, but the 2-pack refill for $20 is a lot better.

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #4183
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellosluggo View Post

The pic shows the old extract. My guess they would have to be over a year old....good deal if it's the new kits,,,pretty bad deal if the old extract.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #4184
defalcos
BeerBirdMan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealia View Post
Interesting, but i'm not risking my health on Wikipedia information

Not trying to be a PITA here, really. I've also read that things with a water activity level of less than 0.93 are not susceptible as the spores can't grow in that environment. Extract is down near 0.60 based on what I have read.

I spent a LOT of time reading on this last night and it seems that the spores can SURVIVE in extract but not create toxins. The spores *can* survive heat (depending on the length of the boil I surmise) but those spores *shouldn't* hurt you.

I guess this is just an area where I'm not willing to risk it - but that is my choice and I just don't feel comfortable telling anybody else to risk it. But, maybe that's just me....maybe it really is just simple science that I don't fully understand and therefore don't want to take what I perceive as a risk.

In any case, I think we've covered this topic now. Back to real beer stuff!
I wrote to the folks at Munton's, one of the largest manufacturers of malt extract in the world. I inquired about swollen cans of malt extract. Here's his response (BTW The technical term of the browning effect is Maillard Reaction):
"Hello Scott, the Maillard reaction is definitely dependent on Time and Temperature and does give off CO2 as part of that reaction and is capable of producing enough pressure to expand the ends of the cans. This reaction will continue, all be it very slowly, at ambient temperature but is vastly accelerated if stored above 30°C, so if cans are left in direct sunlight for instance. This is not a microbial reaction but a natural phenomenon involving the natural carbohydrates and proteins within the malt extract. It is possible that Osmophyllic yeasts could cause fermentation but very unlikely due to the way we pasteurise the extract on canning. The Chlostridium Botulinum bacteria is associated with Fish, Animals and Birds and is extremely unlikely to be found in Barley Malt Extract. Regards Graham

Graham Sutton
NPD Technologist"
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #4185
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great input, thanks for reaching out to Munton's and for sharing the response you received.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #4186
cooltouch
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by defalcos View Post
Considering that hopped malt extract will result in a pH in the upper 4's to low 5's when diluted to normal beer densities, consider how low the pH is 80 - 85% solids form. No botulism.
On this topic, it reminds me of stuff I've read before regarding the habit in olden times of drinking beer instead of water because of its purity. This is discussed at some length in the rather tongue-in-cheek humorous "documentary" on beer, called "How Beer Saved the World." If you have a Netflix instant account, you can watch it here:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/How_Beer_Saved_the_World/70222666?trkid=2361637

Many folks still observe this simple practice when traveling to foreign lands: namely, stay with the beer, leave the water for the native flora and fauna.

Best,

Michael

Old 11-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #4187
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The cask looks nice and handy! Pity the basic kits are going for £42 in the UK (66USD) as casks aren't cheap.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #4188
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Just got a Mr Beer thanks to the wife. I have a very newb question. Already got this first batch going and am wondering about taking the lid off to peek in. Will this be a bad thing? Don't want to do anything to spoil my first batch.

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #4189
MikeBergan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTiger View Post
Just got a Mr Beer thanks to the wife. I have a very newb question. Already got this first batch going and am wondering about taking the lid off to peek in. Will this be a bad thing? Don't want to do anything to spoil my first batch.
I have to STRONGLY recommend NOT opening the lid!!!
You would risk goofing up the fermentation process, AND maybe allowing various microbes/germs/foreign materials to get in and contaminate your brew.

Leave it closed and use a good flashlight to shine in and see what's going on.

Attention, please, for a very important announcement...

BEER!!!

That is all

Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #4190
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Thanks. Just finished getting set up and poured the yeast in and closed the lid at 8 pm. Just shined a light in the side and she is already bubbling good. Got a foam layer on top already. Good, right?

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Quick Reply