Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #4121
BonzoAPD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ872

Bonzo~

I made a Saison using Orange-Blossom Honey. One of the best recipes I have done. I saved it on Hopville. Would you care for it? It's a Mr. Beer sized batch and you can get all of the ingredient off of any online homebrew website...you don't "need" an LHBS.
That would be awesome if you could share the recipe. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #4122
JRParker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hear! Hear! for Mr. Beer!

I had been wanting a Mr. Beer kit(or similar home brewing kit) for the lase 4 years or so and my mother finally got me one for my birthday back in July.

I made the brew that came with the kit and it turned out Cidery because the instructions didn't tell me to use corn sugar not table sugar(or so my LHBS guy tells me).

I just bottled A Half batch(read: Mr. Beer sized Batch) of Brewers best IPA, and made the second batch.

On the second batch I added 1/2 the Hops(First batch is a Hop-acolypse) and may secondary ferment. Those were my first Grain and Extract brews.

I also decided to make an All-grain 1-Gallon batch of maple-oatmeal Chocolate Stout using the left over Grain from the second batch and a canister of Quaker Oats(the pre-beer is nice and super-sweet with maple, Cinnamon, and nutmeg notes).

Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #4123
prmoran7
Recipes 

Default Trying something..what do you think?

I have decided to buy a second 2 gal Mr Beer keg instead of buying a 5 to 6 gallon system to bump up my production. If I use a 4lb can and make two batches for a total of 4.5 gallons, should that give me a better batch of beer? I noticed with the deluxe and premium Mr Beer kits they have extra LME...I love the Mr. Beer kegs and can leave them up on my dining table to stay cool and off the floor...

Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #4124
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

JRParker wrote:
"I made the brew that came with the kit and it turned out Cidery because the instructions didn't tell me to use corn sugar not table sugar(or so my LHBS guy tells me)."

Your LHBS is trying to sell you something, namely corn sugar. The problem with MrB kits and getting "cidery sweet" beer is not the sugar. It is that you either didn't leave the beer in the LBK long enough (2-3 weeks) or that you didn't let the beer carb/condition long enough at room temps in bottles (4 weeks).

Most seasoned brewers on the MrB forum website go by the 3-2-2 rule of thumb which means 3 weeks in the LBK, 2 weeks carbing (room temp) and 2 weeks conditioning (room temps). the general consensus is that this is the best method to obtain good brews. Patience is a virtue.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #4125
azmark
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmoran7 View Post
I have decided to buy a second 2 gal Mr Beer keg instead of buying a 5 to 6 gallon system to bump up my production. If I use a 4lb can and make two batches for a total of 4.5 gallons, should that give me a better batch of beer? I noticed with the deluxe and premium Mr Beer kits they have extra LME...I love the Mr. Beer kegs and can leave them up on my dining table to stay cool and off the floor...
Nice to have the two lbks going. You can....

1. Do one large batch and split it between the two lbks.

2. Do two different batches and increase variaty.

3. Use same recipie, and split batch to experiment with, different yeasts, or hops.

4. Fit both in my smaller dorm style fridge to keep ferment temps constant.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #4126
Tombstone0
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC View Post
JRParker wrote:
"I made the brew that came with the kit and it turned out Cidery because the instructions didn't tell me to use corn sugar not table sugar(or so my LHBS guy tells me)."

Your LHBS is trying to sell you something, namely corn sugar. The problem with MrB kits and getting "cidery sweet" beer is not the sugar. It is that you either didn't leave the beer in the LBK long enough (2-3 weeks) or that you didn't let the beer carb/condition long enough at room temps in bottles (4 weeks).

Most seasoned brewers on the MrB forum website go by the 3-2-2 rule of thumb which means 3 weeks in the LBK, 2 weeks carbing (room temp) and 2 weeks conditioning (room temps). the general consensus is that this is the best method to obtain good brews. Patience is a virtue.

The other thing that causes cidery flavors is high fermentation temperature. Keeping your fermentation temp below 70 will help your beer immensely, also fermentation temp will be 5 or more degrees higher than the temperature in the room.

The problem with simple sugars (table sugar or corn sugar) is that it will lighten both the flavor and body of the beer allowing those off flavors to shine through, when used in large amounts. The small amount used during bottling doesn't cause this problem, though, whether it's table sugar or corn sugar.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #4127
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone0 View Post
The other thing that causes cidery flavors is high fermentation temperature. Keeping your fermentation temp below 70 will help your beer immensely, also fermentation temp will be 5 or more degrees higher than the temperature in the room.

The problem with simple sugars (table sugar or corn sugar) is that it will lighten both the flavor and body of the beer allowing those off flavors to shine through, when used in large amounts. The small amount used during bottling doesn't cause this problem, though, whether it's table sugar or corn sugar.
Another perspective: The basic kit that used to come with MrB was the West Coast Pale Ale + Booster. If that was what you brewed, then by nature it is going to be a bit cidery due to the ratio of malt versus adjunct. It's a bit too high in that design, but that kit does teach you the process of making beer. Their new kits have more malt and they have ditched the Booster so you get a 'better' beer.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #4128
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone0 View Post

Do you have any links that point to high temperatures leading to cidery flavors?

From everything I've read, higher temperatures produce fusel alcohols and that cidery flavors are due to acetaldehyde.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #4129
JRParker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It was early august when I brewed/Fermented my Mr. Beer Kit; so while it was in my basement it may not have been terribly cool.

Also I did only ferment it 1 week and only conditioned it for 1-2 weeks(first to last bottles opened).

I have a split batch of Brewers best that the first sampling(from the conditioning bottles) has not had any Cider flavor(just lots of Columbus hops).

Also, all of the replies so quickly is why I love this forum.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #4130
somethingclever
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRParker View Post
Also I did only ferment it 1 week and only conditioned it for 1-2 weeks(first to last bottles opened).
I can tell you from just recently starting with Mr. Beer that this was your problem. I did the WCPA and even gave it the 2-2-2 before I ever open the first bottle. However, when cleaning out the fridge I found a half a bottle that must have belonged to SWMBO because there was not way I would have left it there unfinished like that. Well I am glad she did because this bottle must have had an extra 2 month over the other bottles, and the difference was night and day. Where the first bottles were ok, this one was actually good. The moral of this story is that experience shows that 1 week is not enough time for any step in the Mr. Beer process, and that enough time can work magic on even the basic recipe kit.

Quick Reply