Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #4111
doedsredskap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

thank you guys for your responses, at this point I'm considering the idea of priming 4 bottles with dextrose and 4 bottles with sucrose, just to experiment a bit and see if I can notice any difference...

stevehardt, thanks for keeping me patient haha, I almost went to bottle today since it's my night off but read your post and decided against it... it's tough, but I figure since I won't have another night off until Monday it will be easy to let it sit for a few more days, and that will give it exactly two weeks of fermenting, which hopefully is enough time! definitely can't wait to enjoy my first homebrew...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #4112
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Can someone post a recipe for a Honey Ale that I can brew in my Mr Beer along with the exact ingredients and how much of each to purchase? I would love to try brewing without a Mr. Beer Kit to see if I really like real brewing before I invest more money in real equipment. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #4113
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
Can someone post a recipe for a Honey Ale that I can brew in my Mr Beer along with the exact ingredients and how much of each to purchase? I would love to try brewing without a Mr. Beer Kit to see if I really like real brewing before I invest more money in real equipment. Thanks.
Do you want a all grain or extract one?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #4114
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD View Post
I would suggest searching for your nearest Local Home Brewers Supply (LHBS)store and just go in and talk with somebody there. They can set you up with a recipe appropriate to the equipment you are using, sell you the ingredients, and probably give you a few tips along the way.

For a beginner, trying to source ingredients and follow a recipe to the letter is an opportunity to to get lost in the weeds. It's a lot easier and faster to talk to your LHBS and just use what they have readily available. Focus now, on your brewing process. Being able to speak directly to a knowledgable person in a LHBS is a value that you won't get (as a beginner) if you try to do your shopping online. At least initially.

After a few brew sessions, then get into shopping someone elses recipe. You'll find that ingredient substitutions can be a big part of trying to follow a recipe. Before you plan your brew sessions out too far in advance, make sure you can source all the ingredients! I've been dissapointed at the last minute a few times because my LHBS didn't have the yeast, hops or even specialty malt I needed for my particular recipe.

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #4115
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite

I would suggest searching for your nearest Local Home Brewers Supply (LHBS)store and just go in and talk with somebody there. They can set you up with a recipe appropriate to the equipment you are using, sell you the ingredients, and probably give you a few tips along the way.

For a beginner, trying to source ingredients and follow a recipe to the letter is an opportunity to to get lost in the weeds. It's a lot easier and faster to talk to your LHBS and just use what they have readily available. Focus now, on your brewing process. Being able to speak directly to a knowledgable person in a LHBS is a value that you won't get (as a beginner) if you try to do your shopping online. At least initially.

After a few brew sessions, then get into shopping someone elses recipe. You'll find that ingredient substitutions can be a big part of trying to follow a recipe. Before you plan your brew sessions out too far in advance, make sure you can source all the ingredients! I've been dissapointed at the last minute a few times because my LHBS didn't have the yeast, hops or even specialty malt I needed for my particular recipe.
I'd love to do that but there is no local shop by me. This is why I am asking on the site.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #4116
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I'd love to do that but there is no local shop by me. This is why I am asking on the site.
Is the Mr Beer kit is all you have for home brewing equipment? Do you have a kettle/stockpot that will hold at least 5 gallons? If making the jump from HLME (Mr. Beer) to partial/full boil extract, you want to go ahead and start a new thread in the beginners forum.

Have you checked out the Mr. Beer website? They may have recipe modifications listed that you can do with their standard kit beers. I would think you could sub honey for some percentage of the booster, but you'll need to give the ferment more time.

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #4117
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1080 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 1194

Bonzo, make a search of the recipe section here. Any 5 gallon recipe can be halved and fermented in the LBK. You can order any 5 gallon recipe from an online retailer and split into 2 batches as well. Cheers!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #4118
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
Do you want a all grain or extract one?
Extract please since I am new. This would be my first brew not using a Mr. Beer refill. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #4119
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite View Post
Is the Mr Beer kit is all you have for home brewing equipment? Do you have a kettle/stockpot that will hold at least 5 gallons? If making the jump from HLME (Mr. Beer) to partial/full boil extract, you want to go ahead and start a new thread in the beginners forum.

Have you checked out the Mr. Beer website? They may have recipe modifications listed that you can do with their standard kit beers. I would think you could sub honey for some percentage of the booster, but you'll need to give the ferment more time.
Yes the Mr. Beer kit is the only brewing equipment I have at the moment. I have a pot that will hold 5 gallons, although at this point I would need only 2 since that is what the mr. beer can hold. I have seen their recipies, I want to get away from their kits and go partial boil.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #4120
Christ872
Recipes 

Quote:

Bonzo~

I made a Saison using Orange-Blossom Honey. One of the best recipes I have done. I saved it on Hopville. Would you care for it? It's a Mr. Beer sized batch and you can get all of the ingredient off of any online homebrew website...you don't "need" an LHBS.

Quick Reply