Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #4091
BonzoAPD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What bottles do you use to bottle your beer? My kit came with the 8 1 liter bottles but with those I feel the beer goes to fast. You open one of those and an 8th of your hard work is gone already. I bought some of their 16oz bottles that I am going to try when I bottle today.

Do you guys use glass bottles? If so, do you find them hard to cap? Also any problems with exploding beer? That is my biggest concern about glass bottles.

Also, what beer comes in a brown bottle that does not have their logos on them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #4092
Joe13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
What bottles do you use to bottle your beer? My kit came with the 8 1 liter bottles but with those I feel the beer goes to fast. You open one of those and an 8th of your hard work is gone already. I bought some of their 16oz bottles that I am going to try when I bottle today.

Do you guys use glass bottles? If so, do you find them hard to cap? Also any problems with exploding beer? That is my biggest concern about glass bottles.

Also, what beer comes in a brown bottle that does not have their logos on them?
Sam Adams bottles are the best. Peel the labels and you are good to go. 22 twelve ounce bottles will do one mr beer keg. Bottling is easy and as long as you watch your priming sugar there should be no worries.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #4093
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe13 View Post
Sam Adams bottles are the best. Peel the labels and you are good to go. 22 twelve ounce bottles will do one mr beer keg. Bottling is easy and as long as you watch your priming sugar there should be no worries.
Awesome Sam Adams is my favorite! I don't have any bottles of it right now and I never before was interested in if it had a logo or writing on it.

As for "watch your priming sugar", what do you mean by watch it?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #4094
Joe13

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD

Awesome Sam Adams is my favorite! I don't have any bottles of it right now and I never before was interested in if it had a logo or writing on it.

As for "watch your priming sugar", what do you mean by watch it?
A bottle bomb is from a couple things. Bottling two early, weakened bottle, or over carbing. So just watch that you don't over prime.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #4095
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe13 View Post
A bottle bomb is from a couple things. Bottling two early, weakened bottle, or over carbing. So just watch that you don't over prime.
Ah ok makes sense. How much sugar should be added to a 12oz bottle?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #4096
T8rAleKing
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD View Post
Ah ok makes sense. How much sugar should be added to a 12oz bottle?
No more than 3/4 teaspoon, maybe less depending on the beer style you are brewing...her is a good link to work with for carbing beers:

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html#bpc

plug in the numbers and the type of priming sugar you are using and then it will tell you the correct amount for that style. Hope this helps you out.

T8r Salad
Sick My Duck Brewery

"Always remember, a cat looks down on a man, a dog looks up to a man, but a pig will look a man straight in the eye & see his equal." Sir Winston Churchill
Salud, my friend.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #4097
Joe13

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yea, I believe mr beer recommends 1/2, 3/4 teaspoon of sugar. It's listed in the book that comes with the kit.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #4098
stevehardt
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Joe 13 and tr8 are right. You really have to watch your measurements when you bottle prime. Be really careful, because
[/CENTER] your using more bottles the chance of an error goes way up. Have you considered batch priming?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #4099
Christ872
Recipes 

I like Mr. Beer. Been brewing since June 2011.

Although I do have a couple of 5-gallon buckets and, in fact, just bottled a 4.5 gallon batch yesterday evening. But I like the 2 gallon Mr. Beer batches from the stand point that it fills about 22 bottles of 12 oz beer. I have 4 Mr. Beer LBKs (Little Brown Kegs) and I have a basement filled with about 8-to-10 cases of homebrew. I don't really have a lot of people to share with...so 22 bottles is going to last my a couple weeks. If you're rotating 3 or 4 LBKs on a weekly basis you're really never going to run out. I mean, I have a couple cases from May or June that I haven't even gotten to yet. And I have a Baltic Porter which will sit conditioning until January 2013. So...it's plenty.

I think, for me, I like some of the Mr. Beer mixes...not all, but some. But the thing I like most is the LBK size. I'd say 99% of my beer recipes now are creation I come up with...so not using Mr. Beer HMEs. But I still prefer to use the 2 gallon LBK.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #4100
ThomasO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I still have the spring seasonal Mr Beer Lager to work with. Dont have refrigeration for a regular lager, but have learned enough that I can ferment at regular temps and then refrigerate after bottling for a month or two, and I can manage to do that, anyway, so looks like I will be making up this batch after I bottle the Cowboy Lager currently in the LBK. If you do like the older kits, you can still find them on Walmart.com and Sears, too. I just want to try different types until I find the things I like, then start working on adjusting and refining them to my own tastes. And as for bottles, I have the plastic half-litre bottles from Mr Beer, but have collected 6 dozen Sam Adams and a dozen each of a few others, including short fat bottles I think came from Sierra Nevada. I want enough to have some on hand for the beer I will give as gifts without asking to have the bottles back. But bottles at the local homebrew supply store aren't all that expensive, either, so will likely pick up a few dozen more. I was given 2 dozen half-litre glass bottles when I was given the Ale Pale kits and find myself using those along with the plastic ones for the beers I plan to keep for myself. So far, no problems. For Mr Beer bottle carbonating, I have the Mr Beer sugar measure, with a standard measure cup on one end for a half-litre and on the other end a 12-oz bottle. Only mixup I've had so far is forgetting to use any sugar in one bottle. Flat, but still tasted great when I found it weeks later.

Tom

Beer, beer, beer said the sergeant

Quick Reply