Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #4061
michaelpeach76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I made a whiskey stout using whiskey that I soaked oak chips in for a month then poured the whiskey into the wort at flame out. Came out pretty good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #4062
MikeBergan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Clarifying Agents and Mr Beer

What would be the 'right' way to incorporate clarifying agents while using a Mr Beer fermenter and bottles system?

Most of the posts I see indicate adding the agent to the secondary fermenter when you rack over; but Mr Beer goes right from the LBK to the bottles...

Advice please?

I just finished my first brew batch and am very happy with the result, other than a mild cloudiness issue.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #4063
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1155 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

You can include irish moss or whirlfloc with 5 minutes left of the boil which will bind to excess protiens and help clear the beer. What you are experiencing is probably chill haze and that will go away after a week or 2 at fridge temps on it's own.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #4064
scarysnare
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firepunk View Post
Unrelated, but on the same note; I'm buying my father a mr. root beer kit for xmas. He has always wanted to make home made root beer. I figured it would be a great way to get him into the whole thing, without him (or me) having to spend a bunch of coin. And if he does like it, the next year I can get him a REAL root beer making kit.
Me, You would be suprised how fast 5 gallons of beer goes!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #4065
MikeBergan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
You can include irish moss or whirlfloc with 5 minutes left of the boil which will bind to excess protiens and help clear the beer. What you are experiencing is probably chill haze and that will go away after a week or 2 at fridge temps on it's own.
Wait.... you really think those beautiful bottles of delicious beer are going to LAST 2 weeks in the fridge?

You should know better; I am already prepping to start the next batch, but I am afraid I will be out of beer in the next 5-7 days. I have 6 Liter bottles left, and one of those is promised to a friend who wants to try my beer.
That leaves 5 bottles, out of which I get about 2 good steins worth each.

I really think I need to expand up to a full 5 gallon setup in addition to the LBK, that way I can keep a rotation going and build up some stores

Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #4066
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1155 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBergan View Post
Wait.... you really think those beautiful bottles of delicious beer are going to LAST 2 weeks in the fridge?

You should know better; I am already prepping to start the next batch, but I am afraid I will be out of beer in the next 5-7 days. I have 6 Liter bottles left, and one of those is promised to a friend who wants to try my beer.
That leaves 5 bottles, out of which I get about 2 good steins worth each.

I really think I need to expand up to a full 5 gallon setup in addition to the LBK, that way I can keep a rotation going and build up some stores
The exact reason I only made 4 Mr Beer batches before jumping to 5gallon all grain brewing! Try whirlfloc in the next batch, it will help but time is really the best way to let them clear.

I still use my Mr Beer for things like Apfelwein and a 17% abv Mango wine that I have going now. No such thing as too many fermentors!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #4067
MikeBergan

Recipes 

This is what the first batch looks like; maybe not a great pic, but it might give an indication of the cloudiness I am seeing.
Also a note... the head only stayed for about 30 seconds... I took a series of pics and within that time it basically dropped completely, is this something I can improve? If so, how?

first-batch-11.jpg  

Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #4068
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBergan View Post
This is what the first batch looks like; maybe not a great pic, but it might give an indication of the cloudiness I am seeing.
Also a note... the head only stayed for about 30 seconds... I took a series of pics and within that time it basically dropped completely, is this something I can improve? If so, how?
That doesn't look all that cloudy to me. I think you could "fix" that by giving it more time in the bottle at room temperature followed by more time in the refrigerator. If you give it at least a month at room temperature and a week or two in the fridge, I think it will be much clearer. Make sure you keep the bottles upright at all times so the trub forms on the bottom, not the side of the bottle.

Also, pour the full bottle in one pour. If you're using the liter bottles, that may require pouring into a pitcher and pouring from the pitcher to a glass. When you pour, watch carefully and stop pouring just before the trub starts coming out. Depending on how long you leave it in the bottle before pouring it, you may not need to leave much in the bottle. I usually leave mine at room temp for about 4 months, followed by a month or so in the fridge and can usually pour the whole beer without pouring any trub out.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #4069
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I forgot to address your questions about the head.

Extract beers tend to be pretty light in that regard. You can increase head (and head retention) by adding some steeping grains. If all you want is to add head and head retention (and some body), then you can use carapils or carafoam. If you want to add additional flavor and color, you can add something like crystal 20 (or higher numbers if you want darker colors). If you have a LHBS, buy about 1/4 lb of the grain and have them mill it. Heat two quarts of water to 160F and soak the grain in that for 30 minutes. Strain the grains out and use this water for the Booster boil.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #4070
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfy View Post
This thread is here to welcome and encourage. We all know it is like tinned spaghetti compared to Momma's Special Recipe but let's encourage people .

It's here to help the new members not for the experts to put people off before they start.

(That's why I've edited and deleted a couple of posts)
Please feel free to start a "We want to kill MR. Beer thread"
I got my start with the Mr. Beer kit. Made about 10 batches with it, all was pretty good, and then moved on to 5 gallon after 8 months. I recently sold my Mr. Beer stuff to give someone else a start. I owe my start to brewing to Mr. Beer.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Quick Reply