Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #4051
crosschk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 148
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe13

Try including other ingrediants. If you check the Mrbeer.com site and look at the recipes, a lot of them call for common household ingredients. I just made four a different beers a week ago. I used the following ingredients.

Brown sugar
Lemon juice
Cocoa
nutmeg
cinnamon
crushed corriander seed
honey
chili powder

Ive also used scotch in a previous recipe. Things like this help add a personal touch, and bring different layers to your beers.
Have you used the chili powder before? What else did you put in there?
__________________
crosschk is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #4052
bpgreen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 396
Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
So just what are these "few" additions?

I can see adding some DME/LME.

I can see maybe dry hopping.

What else?
The sky is the limit. You can steep specialty grains for more flavor/color/body/mouthfeel, you can do hop boils of various lengths, you can do a partial mash.

You don't need to use any Mr Beer ingredients at all, if you don't want to. You can do anything with the Mr Beer fermenter that you can with a 5 gallon kit, except to make 5 gallons of beer at a time. If you want to do an all grain batch, there's nothing stopping you.
__________________
bpgreen is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #4053
Joe13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Joe13's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: York, ME
Posts: 157
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschk View Post
Have you used the chili powder before? What else did you put in there?
Yes, it was for a stout.

Can of St patricks Irish stout, cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, 2 teaspoons of chilli powder. I'm interested to see how it comes out.
__________________
Joe13 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #4054
inkdbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chestertown, MD
Posts: 20
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Yup to all of the above, scrabbler. You're only limited to your imagination! Just subbing for a premium yeast yields great results...2 grams just isn't enough, either. I have since moved on to AG brewing, but I credit mr beer for the base of my knowledge of brewing. I still use the LBK's as my primary fermenters too!

__________________
inkdbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #4055
inkdbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chestertown, MD
Posts: 20
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Double post. Stupid iPhone lol

__________________
inkdbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #4056
scrabbler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdbrewer View Post
Yup to all of the above, scrabbler. You're only limited to your imagination! Just subbing for a premium yeast yields great results...2 grams just isn't enough, either. I have since moved on to AG brewing, but I credit mr beer for the base of my knowledge of brewing. I still use the LBK's as my primary fermenters too!
You can also re-use yeast from a previous batch, look up "Yeast Washing". Also, you can up your yeast count by making a simple yeast starter. For the MB kits though, I've found the 2g to be fine, epecially since so many of them are of a lower gravity.
__________________
scrabbler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #4057
inkdbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chestertown, MD
Posts: 20
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler

You can also re-use yeast from a previous batch, look up "Yeast Washing". Also, you can up your yeast count by making a simple yeast starter. For the MB kits though, I've found the 2g to be fine, epecially since so many of them are of a lower gravity.
Yeah, I've been reading up on washing. Seems like a much more affordable option in the long run. I brewed their blueberry lightning a while ago and made my first starter from a wyeast lager yeast to use in it since I wanted to cold ferment. Came out really good! I'm sure the starter was overkill for a 2.5g batch but it was fun tinkering!
__________________
inkdbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #4058
azmark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdbrewer

Yeah, I've been reading up on washing. Seems like a much more affordable option in the long run. I brewed their blueberry lightning a while ago and made my first starter from a wyeast lager yeast to use in it since I wanted to cold ferment. Came out really good! I'm sure the starter was overkill for a 2.5g batch but it was fun tinkering!
new kits come w/4 g yeast packets I believe.
__________________
azmark is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #4059
inkdbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chestertown, MD
Posts: 20
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmark

new kits come w/4 g yeast packets I believe.
Ahh. Cool. Haven't tried the new kits.
__________________
inkdbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #4060
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Beer-lord's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Metairie, La
Posts: 1,199
Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Actually, 5 g are stamped on the yeast packs.

__________________
Wherever you go, there you are!
Beer-lord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
read if you use MR BEER kit theBrewman12 General Beer Discussion 32 03-04-2014 04:00 AM
When should your beer read at its FSG justin22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 05-27-2013 08:43 AM
Read about Jalapeno beer.. had to try it. Drustanos Home Brewing Photo Forum 26 07-16-2012 10:47 PM
so what beer rags do you read? justbrewit General Beer Discussion 16 02-05-2012 08:20 PM
Anyone Try This Beer??? Read Thread 5gBrewer General Beer Discussion 8 02-25-2007 10:52 PM