Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #4011
Randolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Gotta question.... I am planning to use Mr. Beer's Englishman's Nut Brown for my next brew. I have (2) of the 1.21ish lb cans. One can is rated IIRC @ 23 IBUs. If I add both cans to my brew will it have 46 IBUs?.If so should I add a lb of DME to tone down the hop presence,or will my brew be balanced w/o the additional DME. Thanx in advance...Randolf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #4012
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolf View Post
Gotta question.... I am planning to use Mr. Beer's Englishman's Nut Brown for my next brew. I have (2) of the 1.21ish lb cans. One can is rated IIRC @ 23 IBUs. If I add both cans to my brew will it have 46 IBUs?.If so should I add a lb of DME to tone down the hop presence,or will my brew be balanced w/o the additional DME. Thanx in advance...Randolf
Yes. If one can is 23 IBUs, two cans are 46. If you weeded a pound if DME, you'll still have 46 IBUs, but it won't seem as bitter because of the additional malt.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #4013
T8rAleKing
Recipes 

I love the MB English Nut Brown but I only use 1 can (1.21#) and add a pound of Amber DME or LME equiv. to it with a lttle extra hops to balance it out. Save the expense and then you can make 2 batches out of it. my 2 cents worth.

T8r Salad
Sick My Duck Brewery

"Always remember, a cat looks down on a man, a dog looks up to a man, but a pig will look a man straight in the eye & see his equal." Sir Winston Churchill
Salud, my friend.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #4014
T8rAleKing
Recipes 

Mr Beer has a sale going on (15% off) until Sept 10th...you can also use & stack these coupons until such time the cancel them...

Find coupon codes at retailmenot.com to save even more or PM for codes

T8r Salad
Sick My Duck Brewery

"Always remember, a cat looks down on a man, a dog looks up to a man, but a pig will look a man straight in the eye & see his equal." Sir Winston Churchill
Salud, my friend.

Reason: typo

Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #4015
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8rAleKing
Mr Beer has a sale going on (15% off) until Sept 10th...you can also use & stack these coupons until such time the cancel them...

ACT31208RGHK
&
20% off Coupon Code = REG41208RGHK

Use both if you can...I got the Craft styles for $11 and older OVL for $4
Don't go too nuts with the stacking... they do review larger orders and cancel anything they don't like (and there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to what they decide is too much, but apparently stacking is a no-no)
All I know is when I stacked up 70% off, on a thousand-plus order... that order was denied

TL;DR- If it looks too good to be true, it is.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #4016
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
Don't go too nuts with the stacking... they do review larger orders and cancel anything they don't like (and there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to what they decide is too much, but apparently stacking is a no-no)
All I know is when I stacked up 70% off, on a thousand-plus order... that order was denied

TL;DR- If it looks too good to be true, it is.
I think they may also review orders and remove coupons that were shared on forums.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #4017
Randolf
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

So if I use one 1.21 lb of Mr. Beer Englishman's and I add 1 lb of brown DME,how much hops must I use to balance the recipe,and not have it be too bitter?

Old 09-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #4018
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolf View Post
So if I use one 1.21 lb of Mr. Beer Englishman's and I add 1 lb of brown DME,how much hops must I use to balance the recipe,and not have it be too bitter?
I hate to give a non-answer answer, but it depends.

Different people have different tastes. I use qbrew to estimate IBUs, OG, FG, etc and then use the chart below as a general guideline for BU:GU ratios. I know where I like my brews to end up. But I may well have different tastes than you.

There are a number of places that have qbrew available for download, but I think Screwy Brewer is the most diligent in keeping the Mr Beer ingredients up to date. http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/2010/...alculator.html

Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #4019
MikeBergan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Equipment/Advice Questions

This may have been covered in other posts, but here goes...

I just bought a Mr. Beer Premium Edition Kit. The kit has the fermenting keg, 8 bottles and the ingredients for your first basic batch, along with a beginner brewing guide.

Is there anything else I should go out and buy before I start the process for the first time? I have seen posts about hydrometers and some other various stuff, but am not sure what I really need.

If anyone has any other adivice for my first batch?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #4020
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1135 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

I highly suggest the hydrometer and also pitching the yeast from the kit into your boil and using better yeast like US-05 for fermenting. Also, if your kit come with booster, instead of using that you should use a pound of light DME (dry malt extract). I always used the booster and the DME to get an ABV closer to 5%. If you can manage to keep your ambient temps in the low 60s during fermentation you will get decent if not good beer. I use a small cooler that I swap out frozen bottles of water in to keep the temps low. Welcome to the forum and Hobsession!

Quick Reply