Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #4001
defalcos
BeerBirdMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brew View Post
It looks like the full lineup of the new refill kits is now up on the Mr. Beer site. There's 3 distinct levels of kits (maybe 3.5?):

"Standard": $15.95-17.95
3.7 % ABV, single 1.87 lb can of HME; 10 varieties, ranging from light "lagers" to Irish Stout

"Craft": $21.95
5.5% ABV, single 2.86 lb can of HME; 4 varieties, focusing on full-bodied ales

"Deluxe": $19.44-25.44
Any of the above kits, with a pouch of (style appropriate) UME that adds 1% ABV to the base kit

Standard refills are available now, as they have been for some time; everything else comes online Sept 4th. I assume we'll see individual ingredients (HME/UME) for sale at some point soon after that. I imagine we'll continue to see some sort of seasonal releases as well, that focus on more than just higher ABV, since the normal range now spans from 3.7 up to 6.5% ABV already.

On the plus side: All refills are now all-malt, booster seems to be a thing of the past. These kits will probably, on the whole, make better beers than the old kits. There's more variety of off-the-shelf higher ABV beers now; ~6%+ ABV kits are no longer limited to single-run "Seasonal" specials.

On the downside: Prices have gone up. Most of the Premium & Deluxe kits aren't that far off the price you could brew a 5 gal extract batch for. Then again, Mr. Beer has never been the value proposition (Aside from initial startup cost).
New Brew,
I think you've hit the nail on the head (on all points)!

Scott Birdwell
DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies
Houston TX

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #4002
BrewByLos
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack View Post
the small batch size has its advantages for those of us with Beer ADHD
I too suffer from beer ADHD, I prefer a variety. I still use my Mr Beer kegs for small/test batches.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #4003
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJack View Post
New Brew's post raises excellent points. Mr Beer will never be as cost effective as five gallon in the long run- nor five gallon as cost effective as ten and so forth. The smaller the batch the higher the cost per serving.

That said, the small batch size has its advantages for those of us with Beer ADHD and cost differences can be minimized by using half of a Muntons Gold kit or, better yet, moving away from kits all together.
You can make beer as inexpensively with the Mr Beer fermenter as with a 5 or 10 gallon kit. In fact, you can do things like all grain brewing with a smaller starting cost since you don't need to work with the larger volumes, so you can easily do so on a stove top.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #4004
Joe13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am digging the new lineup, but I am wondering if they are going to put out the recipes like they used to have. They seem to have all of your general beers, but I loved the recipes because it gave you a lot more selection as well as ideas for how to spice up a brew with mixed malts and ingrediants from around the house. When i started, they had 140 different recipe styles. Im hoping they come back with some using the new ingrediants.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #4005
crosschk
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a questuion about using the 5 gallon kits in the mtr beer kegs.

How do you make them work in the mr beer kegs? Do you use half by weight or even try to do 2/5ths (2 gal vs 5gal)? What do you do with remianing kit?

I have 3 mr beer kegs, I guess I could spread it out between them but how?

Btw very new to brew. Just finishing off drinking my first batch

Old 08-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #4006
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe13 View Post
I am digging the new lineup, but I am wondering if they are going to put out the recipes like they used to have. They seem to have all of your general beers, but I loved the recipes because it gave you a lot more selection as well as ideas for how to spice up a brew with mixed malts and ingrediants from around the house. When i started, they had 140 different recipe styles. Im hoping they come back with some using the new ingrediants.
They're releasing new recipes, but it takes time to come up with them, brew them and test them.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #4007
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschk View Post
I have a questuion about using the 5 gallon kits in the mtr beer kegs.

How do you make them work in the mr beer kegs? Do you use half by weight or even try to do 2/5ths (2 gal vs 5gal)? What do you do with remianing kit?

I have 3 mr beer kegs, I guess I could spread it out between them but how?

Btw very new to brew. Just finishing off drinking my first batch

Many people just split a recipe in half. If you overfill the fermenter, you can get approximately 2.5 gallons in it with no problem

Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #4008
crosschk
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen

Many people just split a recipe in half. If you overfill the fermenter, you can get approximately 2.5 gallons in it with no problem
I assume its half by weight?

What do you do with the other half? Will it keep in a lock n lock or something?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #4009
bpgreen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschk View Post
I assume its half by weight?
Well, half is half, so it shouldn't really matter whether you split by weight or volume. I usually weigh because I think I can do things more accurately that way. One caution is that if you're getting kits with grains, you'll want to make sure each grain is separate. If they combine the grains first, you won't be able to get the proportions the same when you split.

Quote:
What do you do with the other half? Will it keep in a lock n lock or something?
I don't know what a lock n lock is. I assume it's some sort of locking plastic container?

A lot of it depends on what you have.

If you have LME, you'll want to store that in a plastic or glass container (not metal). Cover tightly. If you're not going to use it within a few weeks, store it in the fridge. If you're in an area with high humidity, you may want to pour a thin layer of vodka on top to retard mold formation. The mold isn't harmful, but the idea of mold forming on the surface isn't really attractive.

DME can be stored in a plastic container, or even a baggie.

Grains should be stored in an airtight container. Crushed grains should be used within a few weeks if possible. If you're crushing them yourself, they'll last months.

Hops should be vacuum sealed if possible (even the handheld ziploc vacuum pump is better than nothing, but something like a seal-a-meal is best) and frozen.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #4010
crosschk
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks bpgreen. And yes the lock n lock is a plastic container. For right now I plan on using LME's till I work up the courage to mix my own stuff. Ill keep the vodka thing in mind

Thanks again

Quick Reply