Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #3991
nperea16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen

I used an online calculator a long time ago and came up with 60 grams of sugar for a Mr Beer batch. I slightly overfill, so my batch size was about 2.4 gallons. I add the sugar to about a cup of water, heat it in the microwave for about a minute, stir to dissolve all of the sugar, then bring it to a boil. You want to be careful that you don't let it boil long, or it will turn to candy.

I always let it cool to near room temperature before adding it to the priming container, but some people just add it hot, since it will cool quickly and only kill a few yeast cells that it comes in contact at the start.

I forget what calculator I used, but Screwy Brewer has one that takes into account things like style, fermenting temperature, etc and allows you to use measurements instead of weights if you don't have a kitchen scale.
Thank you for sharing this! Very informative for a new brewer. It definitely helped me out! Happy brewing!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #3992
jstrong
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

is it possible to keg beer made from mr beer kegs?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 03:04 AM   #3993
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrong View Post
is it possible to keg beer made from mr beer kegs?
Certainly. It will cost a few hundred. CO2 tank, regulator, 2.5 gallon keg, hoses/connects/faucets... and a fridge space.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #3994
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
Certainly. It will cost a few hundred. CO2 tank, regulator, 2.5 gallon keg, hoses/connects/faucets... and a fridge space.
+1

You could actually use 5 gallon kegs, too, and they cost a lot less than 2.5 gallon kegs. You can either keg two batches at a time or just use a lot of CO2.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #3995
jstrong
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

might be somethin i look into. im gettin sick of bottling.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #3996
Mike37
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Anyone try mixing OVL and HCCD together with no booster? I did it a couple weeks ago just to try to use up HME cans I had sitting around. I tasted a sample last night and I'd call it a best bitter. Caramel maltiness before the bitterness hits the back of your tongue, fading to a nice floral aftertaste. I'm not big on bitters but I think I might like this one quite a bit.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #3997
T8rAleKing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike37 View Post
Anyone try mixing OVL and HCCD together with no booster? I did it a couple weeks ago just to try to use up HME cans I had sitting around. I tasted a sample last night and I'd call it a best bitter. Caramel maltiness before the bitterness hits the back of your tongue, fading to a nice floral aftertaste. I'm not big on bitters but I think I might like this one quite a bit.
It's Mr Beer's "Fallen Friar" recipe:

Fallen Friar Hoppy ABV = 4.5% SRM = 12 IBU = 45
1 can High Country Canadian Draft
1 can Octoberfest Vienna Lager
1 Yeast Packet
1 Sterling Hops
ferment for 2 Weeks warm/cold carb 3 to 4 weeks

I have made this one twice since I like the HCCD anyways, and I really this body & feel / taste of this brew.

T8r Salad
Sick My Duck Brewery

"Always remember, a cat looks down on a man, a dog looks up to a man, but a pig will look a man straight in the eye & see his equal." Sir Winston Churchill
Salud, my friend.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #3998
Mike37
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

So it is. Interesting. Guess I never looked too closely at those recipes!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #3999
T8rAleKing
Recipes 

Here's a link to the MB recipes

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvC_u0VMvajpdHRSYlVpUElvbGZJYl9hbFo3NkVmR 3c#gid=2

T8r Salad
Sick My Duck Brewery

"Always remember, a cat looks down on a man, a dog looks up to a man, but a pig will look a man straight in the eye & see his equal." Sir Winston Churchill
Salud, my friend.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #4000
BigJack
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 51

New Brew's post raises excellent points. Mr Beer will never be as cost effective as five gallon in the long run- nor five gallon as cost effective as ten and so forth. The smaller the batch the higher the cost per serving.

That said, the small batch size has its advantages for those of us with Beer ADHD and cost differences can be minimized by using half of a Muntons Gold kit or, better yet, moving away from kits all together.

Ale yes, I'm from Texas!

Quick Reply