New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #31
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife, Bless her heart, is looking to buy me the Mr.Beer brew kit for xmas, I was surfing the site and saw they have many recipes, in fact many that sound good!

I know that the Mr.Beer gets mixed reviews and I've heard that you should trash the yeast they send you and buy "newer" yeast from the store or Beer Supply store... but are there any more suggestions?

Right now the Mr.Beer looks like it's going to have to work for me until I can convice my wife (SWMBO) that i'm actually going to need a larger setup (we rent a townhouse with little room to begin with, so I know the Mr.Beer appeals to her b/c it's small).

Anyway, the Mr.Beer site has a lot of great info and they also have "bottling packages" and some other nifty things that might be worth checking out.

I think the Mr.Beer keg might serve as nice dispenser later down the road...

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #32
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fermenting AWAY!

Welp the Mr.Beer kit is a success (for now), i know i know, it's a Mr.Beer Kit, boo... but honestly it's just the beginning.

My wife was going nuts hearing me go on and on about buying a kit off the web, so she decided to give me my xmas present early... it's not the 5gal $90 system i was considering, but for $40 the kit comes with the ingredients, bottles, little brewing keg, stickers, caps and everything to make your first beer.

I decided to get started first thing this morning, so I opened up the large box and got to assembling and sanitizing.

Here we are, about 30 mins later with a fermenting batch hidden away from all disturbances and sunlight.

I'm super stoked right now and cannot wait until the day comes for me to sample my own beer!!

I'm soo incredibly pumped right now I want to brew more!

Anyway, thought I'd share my excitement with everyone.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com
Desrever Likes This 
Old 12-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #33
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

by the way, not sure if this helps, but i took a black trash bag and put it around the little Mr.Beer (making sure I didn't cover the lid completely, to let it ventilate properly) and wrapped a few small blankets around it to help maintain temp...

not sure if that helps, but i made sure it was tucked in nicely for the next 14 days.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 12-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #34
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Awesome.

Mr. Beer isn't the best thing in the world, but it is a great way to get into the hobby and learn the basics of what brewing is about. There's a Mr. Beer forum here (A lot of people get introduced to the craft from a Mr. Beer as an Xmas present) that other people who've used Mr. Beer might be able to share more advice.

Hope you enjoy your beer and develop the obsession.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 12-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #35
Silviakitty

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh, just wait.

I started with a Mr Beer. I bought it just after Thanksgiving this year. Then I ordered a second Mr Beer fermenter and some refills.

Then, I bottled my first batch. Shortly after...I bought a full-blown plastic bucket kit.

Now, I want glass carboys because I can't watch the fermentation in the bucket.

You're in trouble, Mister. Welcome to your new obsession.

• Primary: [2 mr beer lil keg things] Apfelwein. One with sucrose and molasses, the other with fructose and honey.
  • Better Bottle: Empty. Going to be Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale.
  • Carboy:empty.
  • Secondary:Brewferm Frambois
  • Piggie: Irish Stout
  • Bottled: Red Ale, Irish Stout

Old 12-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #36
Mustangfreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm going to keep my 2 Mr Beer fermenters. It's cheap and easy to make small homebrews, plus I have a friend that wants me to make more of the Mr Beer Cowboy Lager haha.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #37
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
by the way, not sure if this helps, but i took a black trash bag and put it around the little Mr.Beer (making sure I didn't cover the lid completely, to let it ventilate properly) and wrapped a few small blankets around it to help maintain temp...
Nothing wrong with the trash bag, many of us use towels, shirts, etc.

As for the blankets, the temperature you want to maintain is generally 64-68*. Beer that ferments too hot generates undesirable flavors is most styles. So unless you're house is pretty cold, blankets are probably hurting you more than helping.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #38
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle
Nothing wrong with the trash bag, many of us use towels, shirts, etc.

As for the blankets, the temperature you want to maintain is generally 64-68*. Beer that ferments too hot generates undesirable flavors is most styles. So unless you're house is pretty cold, blankets are probably hurting you more than helping.
i have the Mr.Beer in the Kitchen Cabinets above the fridge, my SWMBO and I left them empty b/c she can't reach above the fridge and they are extrememly high up.

so i stash beer, xmas presents, my 2 cigar humidors and my Mr.Beer up there....

anyway, the cabinet is near a window and my little handy digital temp that measures humidity and temp reads around the 60's so i figured i'd be best to wrap it up to retain heat and to keep from going thru any weird temp changes...

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #39
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silviakitty
Oh, just wait.

I started with a Mr Beer. I bought it just after Thanksgiving this year. Then I ordered a second Mr Beer fermenter and some refills.

Then, I bottled my first batch. Shortly after...I bought a full-blown plastic bucket kit.

Now, I want glass carboys because I can't watch the fermentation in the bucket.

You're in trouble, Mister. Welcome to your new obsession.
now that i've made the first batch, i'm super eager to make more... i won't know until i can taste it, but i'm really stoked to get brewing some more

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 12-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #40
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Make good beer with Mr Beer - My advice with these kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
My wife, Bless her heart, is looking to buy me the Mr.Beer brew kit for xmas, I was surfing the site and saw they have many recipes, in fact many that sound good!

I know that the Mr.Beer gets mixed reviews and I've heard that you should trash the yeast they send you and buy "newer" yeast from the store or Beer Supply store... but are there any more suggestions?

Right now the Mr.Beer looks like it's going to have to work for me until I can convice my wife (SWMBO) that i'm actually going to need a larger setup (we rent a townhouse with little room to begin with, so I know the Mr.Beer appeals to her b/c it's small).

Anyway, the Mr.Beer site has a lot of great info and they also have "bottling packages" and some other nifty things that might be worth checking out.

I think the Mr.Beer keg might serve as nice dispenser later down the road...
You can use the yeast that comes with the kit. I've only had one not work, I think, either it was slow to start.

I still use Mr Beer and make good beer with their products. My advice with these kits;
  • Buy extra dry yeast like nottinghams keep 2-3 extra packs just in case you get a bad pack.
  • Buy a 3 gallon PET water bottle from Lowes/Home Depot or the grocery store and orange carboy cap w/ a S-Style airlock.
  • Buy an Auto-syphon for easy syphoning (3/8") w/ some hose too.
  • Buy a 5 gal pail for mixing up sanitzer.
  • Use the keg only for bottling. Rack finished beer to it get it off the sediment.
Extra yeast is good to have on hand. The 3 gal PET bottle w/ a cap & airlock will tell you a lot. The yeast is working or its almost done or just done.

Oops time for lunch...gotta go... This stuff will make it easier for you.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 12-16-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply