Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #3961
bpgreen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1nkBeer View Post
I was talking about the classic fermenter... is there a jug?
You're the one who said you had a Mr Beer jug that you were considering using as an extended hopper. I was asking what you meant by jug.

I'm not familiar with the classic fermenter. Mr Beer has had a number of different fermenters over the years. They had a small one they called a Pilot that I think was 6 quarts (same sized refills, I think you added water at bottling time), they had some larger fermenters (6.5 gallons or so) and they've had the 8.5 qt barrel shaped fermenter (the one they have now that many people call the Little Brown Keg or LBK). The one they have now is noticeably darker than earlier versions of the LBK.

Which one are you calling the classic fermenter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #3962
detlion1643
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I just ordered a Mr. Beer from Amazon. Kinda excited, maybe about a week or so until I have time to use it.

I def. haven't read through the whole thread, did read about the first 10 pages though. One question I have is with extract do you still need to boil, and hop, and chill, and whatever else with the wort?

I have a couple wines going, but am growing impatient at waiting for them to clear lol. Besides, I'm a beer guy, however, reading about the 1-3+ hour brew days always turned me off. With work and a family, hard to find the time to allow for that.

Anyways, I'm planning on minimum 2 weeks in the Mr. Beer keg fermenting, maybe 3, then minimum 2 weeks bottle condition before even cracking a first tester. I have some patience, but man, that first 2+ month apfelwein barely started to clear. I'd be happy to wait minimum of 4 weeks for a first tester brew!

Old 07-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #3963
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by detlion1643 View Post
I just ordered a Mr. Beer from Amazon. Kinda excited, maybe about a week or so until I have time to use it.

I def. haven't read through the whole thread, did read about the first 10 pages though. One question I have is with extract do you still need to boil, and hop, and chill, and whatever else with the wort?

I have a couple wines going, but am growing impatient at waiting for them to clear lol. Besides, I'm a beer guy, however, reading about the 1-3+ hour brew days always turned me off. With work and a family, hard to find the time to allow for that.

Anyways, I'm planning on minimum 2 weeks in the Mr. Beer keg fermenting, maybe 3, then minimum 2 weeks bottle condition before even cracking a first tester. I have some patience, but man, that first 2+ month apfelwein barely started to clear. I'd be happy to wait minimum of 4 weeks for a first tester brew!
If you're using one of the Mr Beer kits, you don't need to do a hop boil because the extract is prehopped. In fact, boiling the HME (Hopped Malt Extract) can change the characteristics of the hops in it, so you want to avoid that.

There are instructions that come with it, but basically, you'll add Booster to cold water, bring it to a boil, turn the water off and add the HME, then add that to cold water in the fermenter, then top if off to the 8.5 Qt mark. Make sure you have cold water in it before adding the hot wort or you'll warp the fermenter.

Once you've got it all in the fermenter, whip it up really good (this is not just to mix the ingredients, but to introduce oxygen that the yeast use in the intial stages). Then sprinkle the yeast on top, wait 5 minutes and whip it up again. Then just leave it alone for two weeks or so.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #3964
03ltrain
Recipes 

This is my first post but I have been reading for several weeks. My introduction into home brewing was a "Mr. Beer" kit back in 1998. I am getting back into brewing after a 4 year hiatus. Thank you "Mr. Beer"!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #3965
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will always owe gratitude to Mr. Beer as well. I recently stopped using my MB stuff and graduated up to the 5 gallon batches. MB is excellent to get your feet wet into brewing b/c if you don't like you don't have much invested. If you do like it, you can move up with having too much stuck into the old equipment. Wherever brewing leads me, my start was MB!

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #3966
jtd_419
best brewer ( in my house)
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 61 Posts

I just stopped using Mr. Beer and am fermenting my first five gallon batch. A friend gave me the mb kit and one refill, i am passing it on along with the one refill i had left so that someone else can enjoy this hobby. Thank you Mr beer.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #3967
BrotherGrim
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I started with a Mr. Beer kit more than a few moons ago. I am not sure if I did something wrong, but I found it to be terrible (as I recall) and it made me wonder if making good beer at home could be done. I bought the books, I read them. I searched what was available on the interwebs back in the day (much less than there is now). Found a few on-line stores, ordered a basic 5 gal equipment kit (bucket fermenter, bottling bucket, racking cane, you know the one). Brewed a pre-hopped kit. Made more less than great beer. Read some more, brewed a true extract added hops, followed the instructions..... Viola!! Good Beer!! Mr. Beer sat in the closet, re-located to a new state with me, then found a new home with someone who tried my homebrew and said something to the effect of I would love to try something like this.

...Free at last! Free at last! As of 1 July the state of Mississippi has

Set My Kettle Free!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #3968
BeginnerBill
Recipes 

I just brewed my first batch of beer ever with Mr. Beer 3 weeks ago. It's the West Coast Pale Ale. I went ahead and added hops to it. I used an ounce of Golding palletized hops. I boiled 1/2 oz for 30 min. And added the other 1/2 oz 5 min before ending the boil. Since it's only a 2 gallon batch I figured that should be plenty. After the boil I put the wort in the sink full of ice water.
I am shocked how well my first batch turned out. I drank a regular beer today ( I think it was a typical light beer mass produced) and could barely finish it because it wasn't nearly as good as my beer. Thank you mr beer. I'm in love with homebrew!!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #3969
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm on my 4th batch (brewed Sunday the 5th) and I have to say that all of them have acted differently regarding signs of fermentation. The straight up basic kit (Golden Cowboy Lager) took right off, within a few minutes. The deluxe kit (HCCD and Pale Export) took off after about 2.5 hours. The last two batches I've done hop boils in DME to start out and then added the HME at flameout. Those have taken a lot longer to start a krausen ring but both had a trub layer within an hour or three. Those I just left alone and after the night passed, generally they were producing krausen the next day. My fermenting area runs 67 to 70 as it's right next to the AC units in the back space of the finished basement. The AC runs all day now that it's summer and keeps the back room consistently temped. It's nice to read all the posts in this topic that basically reassure you and let you know to RDWHAHB!!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #3970
inkdbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been brewing with Mr. Beer now for about 8 months. Started off with the basic refills, then graduated to their recipe kits. In that time i have experimented with adding dme, carapils and other steeping grains, higher quality yeasts, and most recently fruit (pumpkin to be exact) to enhance the beer made. So far the kits have impressed me quite a bit. As of now i am looking to start biab all grain brewing but i will continue to use the LBK's as my primary ferms simply because they fit so perfectly in my ferm chamber (johnson controlled dorm fridge). 5 gal buckets just don't work for me and the small batches help to broaden my pipeline's variety.

Quick Reply