Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #3901
BlakeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm planning on going to Bed Bath & Beyond tomorrow to see if they have any Mr. Beer kits on clearance. I mainly want one so I can have a compact 2.5g fermenter.

Edit: I didn't find any Mr. Beer kits on clearance.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #3902
lobotion
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 39

HI just drunk my 1st batch taste pretty good got me drunk too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #3903
Drunk_Engineer
Recipes 

Hello Friends,
My second Mr. beer Brew is almost done fermenting. With my first brew i bottled it after 2 1/2 weeks of fermenting and let it carbonate and condition in the bottles. This second is a wheat beer however and i was wondering if conditioning is necessary. Any other tips for a refreshing summer brew would be well appreciated:-)

Thanks

Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #3904
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Typically wheat beers can be drank (drunken?) young. You'll still need time for it to carb (typically 2-3 weeks) but after that you can generally start drinking them unless they are very heavy gravity or you've added other adjuncts like fruit.

If this is a typical MrB refill I'd say that you're safe testing one at two weeks in the bottle (at room temp). I'm betting you'll be pleased with it at that point.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #3905
somethingclever
Recipes 

Just. Made. It. Through. The. Whole. Thing.

Lots of valuable info here, that is for sure. Thank you everyone who has contributed and helped me on my way toward making the best Mr. Beer brew possible. I am definitely going to start with the extracts, then start making modifications, (i.e. adding DME, Hops, etc.) but I was happy to read that I can move to all grain without having to give up the convenience of the LBK (apartment living and all). I am excited to try some of the simple BIAB techniques I have seen discussed! Thank you again to everyone who has contributed to the wealth of information!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #3906
kevin009
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It's nice to be a part of this.

Crave for a thing, you will get it. Renounce the craving, the object will follow you by itself.

- Swami Sivananda

Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #3907
Drunk_Engineer
Recipes 

Hello, another beginner question here.
I'm on my last Mr Beer refill, it is an October Vienna Lager (amber). My plan is to ferment in the 2.5 gal keg then carbonate and condition in the bottles that came with the set. My question is does the type of bottle help/hinder conditioning? The plastic bottles from Mr. Beer have been used twice before, should I bother buying glass ones or come up with a way to bulk condition?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #3908
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I like plastic because you can give the squeeze test. They get tighter or harder as the co2 builds up pressure in the bottle. There is no difference in using glass but you cant squeeze test.

Kegged::
Amber Ale | Pale Ale
Bottle Aging::
2011 Christmas ale (10 mon)
On Deck:
BIGIPA

MY kegerator Build https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink
Drunk_Engineer Likes This 
Old 06-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #3909
NadoHawk
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

So I just found out that Mr Beer has discontinued most of the beer kits I gazed at for so long (I'm too cheap to pay almost ten dollars in shipping for so little product and I would rather feel a product in my hands before buying). When did this happen and are the new kits better than the ones they are discontinuing? *Not like I would buy them to be honest, since after I am done with the two additional refills I bought at BB&B, I want to just pick up some malt extract from my local store.

Also can I do grain brewing in the Mr. Beer kit? My local store really only focuses on all-grain brewing (their malt selection is somewhat pathetic).

Also their season refills seem like such a rip-off. I can pick up a 24-pack of premium beer (more beer than I could brew with those kits) for less money from Costco and don't even need to be a Costco member to get that deal (state law).

Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #3910
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Well, since you're not going to buy them anyway I guess there's no point in discussing them

And the seasonals were actually some of their best beers. Heck, you can go buy two cases of just about any cheap beer for less than you could the seasonal, but that's not really the point is it?

Quick Reply