The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #3601
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Keep the rest at room temp and pop one in the fridge per week to test. I'm sure you will see a difference. Also, longer times in the fridge help the CO2 to be absorbed into the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #3602
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealia View Post
Keep the rest at room temp and pop one in the fridge per week to test. I'm sure you will see a difference. Also, longer times in the fridge help the CO2 to be absorbed into the beer.

They've been conditioning at 60 degrees in my basement and the one I had did not go in the fridge at all, so that may have something to do with it. Maybe next week I'll stick a 6 pack in the fridge and give it another shot. If the first one isn't up to par, I'll give it another week. The beer wasn't god awful so I'm hoping time is the key.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #3603
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Warm and young, I'd imagine is the problem you're having with that beer. Give it a little more age and get it down to a proper drinking temp, I think you'll see it holds it's carbonation better, giving it a fuller body and better head retention, less fizz.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #3604
gtlaw10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

indeed, the issue is simply your eagerness. the beer is young, one week is not remotely long enough if you're keeping them at 60F ambient. maybe, maybe, if it was a simple beer, and conditioned at 70F or higher it might have a more 'finished' overall taste (eg less of what you've been describing).
at the temp you're conditioning after a week the CO2 that has developed has not dissolved back into the beer, this is why it is soda like. time in the fridge only makes the carbonation taste smoother, warmer beer will usually seem fizzier, even if you took one from the fridge after 2 weeks and let it warm up.
give it time, don't touch one until they've sat for 3 weeks, but considering you've got them at 60F, it may be much longer than that but it's an excellent baseline - unless it's a hefe but that's another situation entirely.

On Deck ~ filthy mongrel;
Bottled ~ Abbot 12 - belgian dark strong; duesseldorf alt; honey nut brown; zombie puke - ABA; maori warrior - NZIPA

Creamy,thick,velvety head. - unionrdr

Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #3605
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlaw10 View Post
but considering you've got them at 60F, it may be much longer than that...
+1. 60F is a bit low.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #3606
dmoore714
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bottled my Bullseye Beer tonight. OG was 1.064. FG was 1.018. Pretty close to what the recipe suggested. If I did my math right, that's about 6% ABV. Right? It was a nice golden caramel color, and nice malty flavor. I'm looking forward to cracking one of these open.

This was my second batch, and my first attempt at batch priming. I'm using glass bottles so I'm going to keep a CLOSE eye on these things for the next few days.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 AM   #3607
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1064 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Actually, you should be a little over 6% based on those numbers and if I remember right, the priming sugar adds somewhere around .4% on top of that once it ferments. Sounds like a winner to me!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #3608
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKramer View Post
...My concern is actually for my father and brother who have rather sensitive digestive systems. I'll probably just make sure I pour carefully, or if they are real worried, filter into the glass when the time comes.
When I first started home brewing my "give-away' spiel included "there is some sediment in the bottle, it has some B vitamins and is actually good for you, but you may like the beer better if you pour carefully and leave a bit in the bottle".

But now that I batch prime I not only don't give that spiel, I have had people ask why my beer is so clear and trub free.

Brewing since '08
1-88) - Gone
89) Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - conditioning

Old 02-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #3609
bpgreen
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Professor View Post
When I first started home brewing my "give-away' spiel included "there is some sediment in the bottle, it has some B vitamins and is actually good for you, but you may like the beer better if you pour carefully and leave a bit in the bottle".

But now that I batch prime I not only don't give that spiel, I have had people ask why my beer is so clear and trub free.
+1
And if you have a longer conditioning time, your trub problem becomes even less of an issue.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #3610
Mr_Shinkai
Recipes 

I've had my Mr. Beer for a couple of months now, and no matter where I put it, in 2 weeks, my brews are always approximately 10% alcohol. I originally had the fermenter in the "boiler room" (the room in my garage where the furnace & water heater are located), where temps range between 74-78 degrees. Now it's in an extra bedroom, where temps average 70-73 degrees. Not really a terrible problem, as I am making cider, and I found out I can make pretty decent wine in 14 days, but I'm wondering about when I start making beer as well. Cider can be backsweetened and have the alcohol reduced by adding more juice... I'm thinking beer is not going to be that easy to correct.

Quick Reply