Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #3501
firebirdude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I batch prime and use tastybrew to calculate how much sugars to add.

Just made my first batches using hop additions. I guess I wasn't aware that the pellets would completely dissolve into dust. What methods do you guys use for transferring your boil into the keg? Do you use a strainer to strain out a majority of the hop particles? Use a cheesecloth sack to make removal easy (IDK is this would even work)? Or just dump it all in? I tried to strain it, but the strainer instantly clogs up. It was nearly impossible to use. It would have taken me hours to pour my gallon of boil through it, emptying the strainer every 2 seconds. And I would have lost half my boil mass.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #3502
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1126 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Just had to share an experience over the weekend. Had a buddy come over that has been brewing over 6 years, has won awards at homebrew competitions, and is in the process of becoming BJCP certified. I shared a bottle of my Whispering Wheat with him and he said it was "Awesome!". I added a lb of wheat DME to the batch, still used the booster, tossed the Mr Beer yeast into the boil for yeast nutrient, and used Danstar Munich yeast. Lesson learned, Mr Beer makes great beer with just a little tweaking.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #3503
jankdc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
I batch prime and use tastybrew to calculate how much sugars to add.

Just made my first batches using hop additions. I guess I wasn't aware that the pellets would completely dissolve into dust. What methods do you guys use for transferring your boil into the keg? Do you use a strainer to strain out a majority of the hop particles? Use a cheesecloth sack to make removal easy (IDK is this would even work)? Or just dump it all in? I tried to strain it, but the strainer instantly clogs up. It was nearly impossible to use. It would have taken me hours to pour my gallon of boil through it, emptying the strainer every 2 seconds. And I would have lost half my boil mass.
You can get special hop sacks at the homebrew store. I use nylon paint strainers from the paint store for hops and grains.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #3504
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
Just made my first batches using hop additions. I guess I wasn't aware that the pellets would completely dissolve into dust. What methods do you guys use for transferring your boil into the keg?
They sink. As long as you don't use too many, and bottle carefully, they aren't a problem. Even with a hops bag, some will get out. (Side note: hops will stain bags green if you boil with them, so don't use a bag you really, really like.)

You can buy whole leaf hops, and those won't leak out of a hops bag, but they are more limited in selection (usually) and are a bit more expensive. YMMV.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #3505
lagalaxy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
Nope. A secondary is another fermentor. It is rarely necessary, and not at all necessary for MrB recipes.

The other way to carbonate is to use artificial carbon dioxide from another source. Without a keg or a soda bottle adaptor (such as http://www.fizzgiz.com/, but there are others), you cannot carbonate artificially, to my knowledge. I suppose you could try the old baking-soda-and-vinegar method (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S1sK...eature=related), but I wouldn't personally.

Adding sugar to the beer before bottling is called "priming". You are priming the beer for carbonation, by giving fermentable sugars to the yeast still in the beer. They eat the sugar and create a slight additional amount of alcohol in addition to the carbon dioxide, which is what you are really after by that step.

If there are still sugars left from the primary fermentation (in the MrB keg) then you will have too much sugar, hence too much carbon dioxide, hence too much carbonation.

No biggie. That's what the board is for.

So for now would you suggest, at least until I get a keg, to just to in bottle priming?

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #3506
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagalaxy View Post
So for now would you suggest, at least until I get a keg, to just to in bottle priming?

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.
Yes.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 AM   #3507
jig
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlaw10

so you followed the instructions to the letter, with only a n extra week or two in primary - totally reasonable.
do you use a priming calculator such as tastybrew or equivalent? these calculators account for the residual CO2 that develops the longer you leave a beer in a fermentation chamber prior to bottling. if so then i don't have a clue what you're doing to cause such unruly head issues (heh). if not, then i suggest giving them a try. it is very possible (this happened to me as i do lengthy primaries) that the amount of priming sugar called for in the MrB instructions simply created too much CO2 given the residual quantity already dissolved into the beer from your lengthy primary. the MrB priming instructions are very one dimensional, with my first few brews they were WAY over carbed and the head was massive, although quick to dissipate.
good luck with your dilemma!!!
I followed the oatmeal stout pretty closely and the pumpkin ale to the letter. I'm getting the ingredients ready for the "coffee brew". I'll try to use the tastybrew calculator and follow this recipe again. I'll keep everyone posted.

On another note I have enjoyed reading different stories on here thanks to all who've contributed.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #3508
Helm
Recipes 

I am thinking about using brown sugar to prime for an irish stout because i was unhappy with the way the use of table sugar worked in priming my first WCPA.

Was it because the amount used from the mb instructions is too much? or could there have been residual sugar left to be fermented in the keg?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #3509
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm View Post
I am thinking about using brown sugar to prime for an irish stout because i was unhappy with the way the use of table sugar worked in priming my first WCPA.

Was it because the amount used from the mb instructions is too much? or could there have been residual sugar left to be fermented in the keg?
Well, *why* were you unhappy with the carbonation? Too much, or too little?

Too much could have been either of the things you mentioned (unfermented sugars, too much priming sugar), or it could also have been letting the bottles carb for too short of a time, or an infection. (You would either taste or smell an infection, so don't get paranoid, fellow MrB brewers!)

Too little carbonation is almost always too little priming sugar, but it can also be dead yeast, or carbing in a cold spot, or too little time to carb.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 02-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #3510
TheG3RG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One to two weeks is recommended for carbing with MrB bottles. I've also heard they might need longer, as in 3-5 weeks...

"Save water, Drink Beer."

Quick Reply