Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #3461
defalcos
BeerBirdMan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenn35 View Post
I brewed a Dubbel Trouble last night. It's a can of High Country Canadian draft, can of creamy brown UME, and I added half to three quarter packet of booster to up the ABV in a 2-2.25 gallon batch. My original gravity was 1.046. Does that sound about right?
Let's do the math. Two cans of Mr. Beer Mix. That would be 2 x 1.2 lbs of malt extract @ 36 points per lb = 86 points + ~2/3 package (13 oz) booster (about 1/2 lb @ 42 pts per lb) = 21 points. 86 points + 21 points = 107/2.2 = 48.5 or 1.0485. So your reading of 1.046 is close to what I would expect, but it's no Triple. If you would have used a 3.3 lb can of malt extract rather than those tiny Mr. Beer cans you would have another 32 points of materials divided by 2.2 or about another 14 - 15 points of stuff. In other words, your gravity would have been around 1.061 or so. A little closer to what you're aiming for. You can add the rest of the booster, but that won't help the body/mouthfeel. A triple should be at least 1.070 in my opinion.

Scott Birdwell
DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supplies
Houston TX

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #3462
Walzenbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgreen

It has been reported that it's 2.4 to the bottom of the Q and 2.5 to the top, but there seems to be some variance depending on the fermenter. Some people who have measured have come up with different results.
So maybe should I not half it? I definitely don't want blow over. The guys at LHBS said 1 gal for mash and 1.5 gal for adding extract

Beginner Brewing Tutorials:
http://thebeginnersbrew.com

Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #3463
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1083 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 1198

If it was me, I would just halve the recipe, fill to the bottom of the Q and have a slightly stonger brew than the original recipe.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #3464
gtlaw10
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzenbrew View Post
So maybe should I not half it? I definitely don't want blow over. The guys at LHBS said 1 gal for mash and 1.5 gal for adding extract
i've had a few blowoffs in the MrB keg, it's not too bad since there are the little air vents. pressure doesn't build krausen just pumps out of the sides of the cap - just put it on a baking tray and it's good to go.
if you halve the recipe and boil off enough (1/10th of a gallon) to get the volume to 2.4gal you'll just have a slightly higher OG - never a bad thing.
there are lots of posts by Revvy in this MrB thread about AG in MrB, start around post 700 for a bunch of his scaled recipes and go from there.

On Deck ~ filthy mongrel;
Bottled ~ Abbot 12 - belgian dark strong; duesseldorf alt; honey nut brown; zombie puke - ABA; maori warrior - NZIPA

Creamy,thick,velvety head. - unionrdr

Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #3465
Helm
Recipes 

Looking to purchase and second fermenter and want to buy from a local store, wal-mart; home depot; etc. any suggestions on where to find carboys and other supplies for one?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #3466
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1083 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 1198

I have a grocery store called Fry's where I live, it is a Kroger company. They have 5 gallon jugs with a 1 on the bottom that they sell for $12. Better Bottle stoppers fit these perfectly. Local bakeries and delis will often give away large buckets that are food grade and that is a good way to go too if you don't want to spend much. Then you need to find a local home brew store to buy the air locks, grommets, or stoppers you need.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 02-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #3467
kc9eci
Recipes 

The Mr Beer seasonal offering is out. A pilsner. http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/987

I was a bit put out as I was supposed to get an email from them telling me when it was available. So much for that, I found out via a post on Facebook.

Was going to buy it as I just got a promo code from them in the letter that came with my free thermometer and priming sugar magnet but it didn't work at checkout. $22 for 2 gallons of beer is bad enough, but $30+ is just insane. Gonna pass on this one I think.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #3468
dmoore714
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I registered for that free stuff. It never came, but I did get the email about the Pilsner. I think I'm done with MrBeer ingredients though. After I use my last cans of HME and UME, I'm done.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #3469
jankdc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc9eci View Post

Was going to buy it as I just got a promo code from them in the letter that came with my free thermometer and priming sugar magnet but it didn't work at checkout. $22 for 2 gallons of beer is bad enough, but $30+ is just insane. Gonna pass on this one I think.
I was a little disappointed with that "thermometer".

Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #3470
kc9eci
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankdc View Post
I was a little disappointed with that "thermometer".
Ditto. It's the kind of thing that should come with each of the LBK's to begin with and even then there isn't much value to it. The time I spent signing up for it was worth more than it was.

Quick Reply