The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #3211
Highridin4x4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooski44
I recieved the premimum gold edition Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, and started my first batch (American Classic) Blonde Ale, on the 29th of December. I did everything in the instructions to the letter, however, when I went to start the bottling process yesterday, I noticed the brew to be very cloudy with particles in it. Is this normal? Should I continue on with the bottling process or scratch the batch, and start over ?
How long did you ferment it for the instructions say 7 days but from what I have read 14 days is ideal. Also cloudy beer I don't think is a bad thing I think the yeast is still working. But I am no expert yet I have just been reading alot. I would not toss it until you taste it in a few weeks. One thing I did here from a mr.beer podcast was nothing bad can live in the wort because of the alcohol and acid levels (except bad taste). I am sure if I am wrong someone with more experience will chime in and correct me.

Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #3212
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highridin4x4 View Post
I would not toss it until you taste it in a few weeks.
NEVER, EVER TOSS YOUR BEER UNTIL IT IS DONE.

If it is fully carbed, and you've cold-conditioned it in the fridge, taste it. Still bad? Cold-condition it a month. Still bad? Put it in the back of the closet for 6 more months. Still bad? You may finally toss it.

Unless you need the bottles, of course. Don't give up on your beer too early!

Old 01-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #3213
firebirdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Are there any wands that will attach to the spigot the MrB keg comes with? If not, any tubing system that will attach without removing the spigot? I've got a batch brewing and can't remove the spigot obviously.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #3214
Kealia
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The wand will attach to the original spigot IIRC, but it's clunky to operate because you can't lock the spigot open. You could remove the spring on the bottom the wand so that you can control the flow from the spigot itself.

Alternatively you could get some 3/8" OD tubing to use as well. But, if you use the original spigot and pour down the side of the bottle you'll be fine until you get other stuff.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #3215
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wouldn't he be better off using the tube like a cheap manual wand? Put the end of the tube (about 14" long) at the bottom of the bottle and let it fill from there? Once the beer is at a certain level there shouldn't be too much O2 added. Just thinking aloud...

Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #3216
gmillerjr
Recipes 

so i have my mr beer kit, it's been fermentint, hopefully, for 7 days. i checked on it today and found a lot of white sediment in the bottom, almost looks like sugar but maybe the yeast. I know there's supposed to be some sediment.

my actual question is that how do I know if there's any activity going on? when looking at it there's no foam at the top and i didn't see any bubbles coming from the bottom. Is this batch a dead brew?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #3217
Mike37
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

From what I've read, if there's stuff at the bottom, something is happening. You might not always get foam/bubbles. Also some yeast takes less time. So yours could be done, but give it an extra week to be sure.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #3218
mrpscr1
Recipes 

first you should let it ferment for two weeks. But what you explained sounds normal to me but I'm still new to this too

Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #3219
firebirdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just in case any of the new owners missed the flier in their new kits.... register online and they'll send you a free brewing thermometer and sugar magnet.
Mr.Beer - beer kits, home brewing systems, and microbrewery supplies - Product Registration

I picked up a slimline water jug from WalMart yesterday (~$7.50). Think I'm going to use this as a bottling bucket.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #3220
Brooski44
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highridin4x4 View Post
How long did you ferment it for the instructions say 7 days but from what I have read 14 days is ideal. Also cloudy beer I don't think is a bad thing I think the yeast is still working. But I am no expert yet I have just been reading alot. I would not toss it until you taste it in a few weeks. One thing I did here from a mr.beer podcast was nothing bad can live in the wort because of the alcohol and acid levels (except bad taste). I am sure if I am wrong someone with more experience will chime in and correct me.

Scott
Yes I actually fermented for 17 days. I think what the problem was that the average temp. Was too low it hovered around 66 to 69 degrees. I went ahead and bottled anayway so we will see in a couple of weeks!! Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply