Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #311
Ramzev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Again, thanks for the help, I must have an "inbetween" model, it did come with a hydrometer. This is the kit I have:
http://www.makebeer.net/kit.asp

I took the reading at the start (1.05)

thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go.

Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #312
Ramzev
Recipes 

OK, now that I pay more attention to what I have, I don't have a mr. beer I havr a Coopers. It that good or bad?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #313
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzev
OK, now that I pay more attention to what I have, I don't have a mr. beer I havr a Coopers. It that good or bad?
I think it's better than a mr beer...since it has an airlock.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #314
Brakshop
Recipes 

Default Mr Beer Questions

NEWBY HERE,
I recieved a Mr Beer as a gift.
I have several questions, if someone can help?
I brewed the kit per instructions, but my tap was leaking I had to reach into the mix to tighten it up, is that a problem?
I replaced the kits yeast with fresh Dottinghams.
Today is the seventh day, very little foam left on the surface.
How do I know when its ready to bottle?
Is table suger ok to use for priming?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #315
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I think it's better than a mr beer...since it has an airlock.
I couldn't agree more, I think they dumbed down their design by taking it out of the design. I spoke to brewmaster Gene and he agrees, they took it out for simplicity sake, and lower cost. The owner and those marketing fools had something to do with it all

IMHO - It was really dumb!! What were they thinking?

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #316
Cheeto
Born again N00b

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 15

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46360

they covered Mr. Beer very well here !

welcome to HBT

Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 AM   #317
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cooper's actually has great canned recipe kits too. The mixes are far superior to mr. beer, in my experience. I've tried the mexican cerveza and IPA. Both very good. I was quite surprised. I think the Cerveza includes some corn sugar, but the IPA was all malt (no added sugars).

Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #318
cola
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
A big no. That's not normal. You bottled too early or added too much sugar. I'd put them all in the fridge now. Drink ASAP

The problem w/ MRB is that you really can't blindly follow the suggested days fermenting. These are only a guideline. See my post above and watch w/ the Youtube link.

Temperature and the amount of fermentables have the biggest influence on time. The age of your yeast has a good deal to do with it too. Older yeast means a slower start.

As for the time I'd always consider them a minimum. There is a general rule of thumb for fermenting ales.

1-2-3

1 week in the primary.
2 weeks in secondary.
3 weeks carbonating.

No secondary, go w/ three weeks. This assumes you are hitting the target temps and you're not making something w/ a crazy amount of fermentables. A High Alcohol Brew more than 6%

so foam is a sign of being underfermented?

Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #319
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeto1977
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46360

they covered Mr. Beer very well here !

welcome to HBT
You do realize you just posted a link to the very thread you posted it on, don't you?

You've created an endless loop or time vortex or something...stop it before we get sucked in

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 AM   #320
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brakshop
NEWBY HERE,
I recieved a Mr Beer as a gift.
I have several questions, if someone can help?
I brewed the kit per instructions, but my tap was leaking I had to reach into the mix to tighten it up, is that a problem?
I replaced the kits yeast with fresh Dottinghams.
Today is the seventh day, very little foam left on the surface.
How do I know when its ready to bottle?
Is table suger ok to use for priming?

Thanks
If you sanitized your hands by dipping it into your onestep before you stuck your hand in you should be ok, if not there's a slim possibility you could end up with an infection which would result in an off flavor...

Next time you reassemble tighten everything down and then sanitize it...Actually sanitize the spigot seperately first, then sanitize your hands and attach it to the mr beer, then fill the mr beer with sanitizer and check for leaks whil it is soaking inside with sanitzer,,,then turn on the spigot and drain out the sanitizer and sanitize the spigot. (It's also not a bad idea after to rubberband a small ziplock baggie over the pigot, to keep it sanitary during fermentation.)

It was a good idea to replace the yeast that came with the mr beer with fresher yeast...you never know how old the yeast in the plain silver envelope is.

If you read the last few posts in this thread ahead of your question, we were talking about when to bottle...since it's not a good idea to open up the mr beer to take hydrometer readings, letting it sit for 2 weeks will insure fermentation. Then bottle condition them for AT LEAST 3 weeks in a warm place, then chill them for AT LEAST 48 hours before drinking.

It's not really a good idea to prime with white sugar...most of us use Priming sugar, which is corn sugar...or Dry Malt extract {DME}, or you can use those priming tabs, putting one in each bottle...Table sugar often leads to a cidery taste in your beer...(Again look at the posts earlier today where we talk about using a bottling bucket.)

Quick Reply