The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #3091
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The difference in priming with dextrose or table sugar is too small to measure at the bottle level. Use the same.

The best way to up the ABV is to add pound of DME in place of the booster or with it. Replacing the booster would be around 4.5 ABV, with the booster it's closer to 6%. With the higher ABV you may need to add hops to get a better balanced beer and then you'd need to do a real boil. The 2 grams of yeast included is not really enough for a strong beer either. So I suggest just replacing the booster.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #3092
stevehardt
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 15

would the dextrose and table sugar be the same amount even when bottling in liter bottles?

Thanks again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #3093
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts

You can calculate it (by weight) here.
TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculator
It shows .2 oz for corn or cane sugar per liter at 70F for 2.5 volumes.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #3094
soccerdude71
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I have my first batch in the MB keg and am already thinking about the next batch... And suggestions for a Shock-Top??

Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #3095
FreshZ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just got a Mr. Beer kit and I plan on brewing my first batch. I've been reading this board for a few days and you guys are tremendous.

Believe it or not, I don't have a 3 qt pot or 1 gallon container required for the Mr. Beer process. I am saving PET bottles for the first brew.
My question is, is there anything else I need or should buy? I have a feeling I will be upgrading to a new system after a batch or 2, but I want to try the basics first. Is there anything I should get that will help my Mr. Beer kit, as well as being useful in a new set up? Would a bigger pot or container be useful? Thanks.

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

Last edited by FreshZ; 12-31-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:43 AM   #3096
RTPalmer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For the question about sugar, look for priming sugar calculator. It basically goes by gallons so you will be set there. And as for boosting abv, go to your local brew store and buy a pound of dry malt extract. I did that and it brought up my abv by about 1.2%. Hope this helps!

Old 12-31-2011, 02:23 AM   #3097
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdude71 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have my first batch in the MB keg and am already thinking about the next batch... And suggestions for a Shock-Top??
It depends on what kinds of beer you like. I highly recommend the American Devil IPA, Sticky wicket oatmeal stout or any of the premium kits.

Or, you might like some of the recipes on the Mr. Beer site. Using some of the standard, deluxe, premium refills and adding Liquid Malt Extracts and/or Dry Malt Extracts bought from your LHBS will make things cheaper than buying the whole recipe from MB. This might be right for you

FreshZ,

I've done around 17 batches, both Mr beer sized and 5 or 6 gallon batches. All starting in a 1.25 gallon pot. I'm going to get a proper, bigger brew kettle in the next few days because I know I'm in it for the long haul, having so much fun brewing and drinking my own beer, so the 1.25 gallon pot was already used yesterday to make a batch of Chili. Start small/inexpensive, see if this hobby is for you, then decide what your brewing goals are and gradually build your ideal set-up to achieve those goals.

You really should get a hydrometer, an invaluable accessory for brewing.

Cheers and welcome to the hobby/addiction

Old 12-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #3098
royal1911
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal1911 View Post
I made a 2 gallon batch with the High Country Canadian Draft (HCCD), 1lb of DME, 1 pack of booster, and 1 oz Cascade Hops. I added all the ingredients and boiled for 30 minutes. I added the hops at 15 minutes. I used a half pack S05 yeast and it went nuts! It has been 9 days now. I tasted a little when taking a hydrometer reading and it wasn't very hoppy. I'm thinking about dry hopping 1/2 oz or more of Citra hops for another 2 weeks.

I something similar a few months back. It was a Mr Beer recipe called Bengal Tiger IPA. I only used 1 oz of Cascade and it turned out great when it was ready. I'm hoping for something similar with the can of HCCD.
Wow! I fermented this for 10 days and racked to a secondary for 10 days. I dry hopped the secondary with a 1/2 oz of Citra Hops. I kegged it on 12/26 with 1 tsp of gelatin. I carbed the keg at 30 psi for 1 day and 10 psi for 4 days. It's perfectly clear and perfectly carbonated at 5 days in the keg.

This is hands down the best batch I've ever brewed, and that includes 4 all grain batches! This would hold its own with any commercial beer.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #3099
SociallyDistorted
Recipes 

Default suggested "next" brews

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdude71 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a suggestion for a next beer that may be in the style you like but it's not nearly a Shock-Top clone. Try the Wicked Monk. I used White Labs Belgain Wit yeast and 1 lb of lighr DME instead of the booster. It was tremendous. Came in at about 7% ABV. VERY tasty.

If you're willing to go totally out of Shock-Top style try the Scottish Wee Heavy. Again I used a White Labs yeast (highly recommend upgrading over the Mr.B provided yeast). Used WLP028 Edinburg Scottish Ale yeast, used 1 lb of amber DME, used 1/2 pack of booster & up'd the amount of butterscotch schnaaps to about 4-5 tbsp. ABV = ~ 6.5%. Here's a picture:
scottish_ale.jpg  

Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #3100
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

If you want a Shock Top type of beer, keep in mind:

1) it will not taste the same... maybe similar, but not the same.
2) a Blue Moon clone recipe will get you in that neck of the woods.

Cheers!

Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Quick Reply