Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #301
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ditto on the above...

5 gal batch ~ 2 cases of beer.

2 gal ~ 20 bottles

I like doing 5 gal for session style beers, bitters & pale ales that you can drink alot of w/o feeling too full.

The 2.5 gal batches are good for experimenting and making the seasonal beers, like a pumpkin ale or a rasberry wheat. Something you don't want alot of sitting around.

The 3 gal PET bottles from Lowes are $4.99 each w/ good brewing water. I've got 4 of them.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #302
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla
Ditto on the above...

The 3 gal PET bottles from Lowes are $4.99 each w/ good brewing water. I've got 4 of them.
Plus if the water that's in them isn't RO, then you have some good water to brew with.

Hey Schlenkerla, I'd be interested in some of your session recipes, especially the bitters. If you don't have it posted anywhere, and don't mind sharing, I'd appreciate it if you pmned it to me...or posted it for all to share.

I haven't done a bitter yet....Plus I'd be interested in your Haus Amber...I've been fiddling with recipe to come up with one that I like.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #303
flashover600
Recipes 

I have the same problem on my latest brew. I opened a bottle last night and the beer basically poured itself. And with all the carbonization all the sediment off the bottom of the bottle got mixed in with the beer. Guess I'll be waiting longer next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk
I agree. That much foaming isn't normal. Most likely, you followed the directions to the letter and ending up bottling too soon. Mr Beer likes you to think that things are very clear cut and consistent in brewing...but they're not. If the temp of your wort at pitching was a little low, or your fermentation temp was a bit low over the week or so in the fermenter, it's likely that the beer didn't ferment out completely and you bottled with some sugar still in the mix.

I did this twice before I realized what I was doing, back when I started.
Primary - None

Pride and Joy
Raspberry Dream Hefe
Proud To Be An American Stout

Adamson Brewing

Old 02-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #304
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover600
I have the same problem on my latest brew. I opened a bottle last night and the beer basically poured itself. And with all the carbonization all the sediment off the bottom of the bottle got mixed in with the beer. Guess I'll be waiting longer next time
How are you priming them? Are you using the "add sugar to the bottle" method? You might be over priming them...it's really hard to get the right amount of sugar in each bottle... Carb tabs are an option.

But better is to use a bottling bucket...Boil the amnt of corn sugar to 1-2 cups of water...add that to bucket then rack the beer onto it...making sure it mixes thoroughly throughout.

This little 2 gallon cooler costs under 10 bucks, and works great for bottling Mr Beer batches...as well as doing AG in your Mr. Beer (see a post of mine from yesterday)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 02-17-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #305
flashover600
Recipes 

I guess I must clarify that I don't use "Mr Beer", I use the food grade bucket method. I do use the bottling bucket, it works great. This is my forth batch and it's the only one I've had problems with. I'm starting to think from all the reading i've done this morning that the 1-2-3 method is the way to go, not the whole "the bubbles have stopped" way. I'm thinking I should have waited longer for fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
How are you priming them? Are you using the "add sugar to the bottle" method? You might be over priming them...it's really hard to get the right amount of sugar in each bottle... Carb tabs are an option.

But better is to use a bottling bucket...Boil the amnt of corn sugar to 1-2 cups of water...add that to bucket then rack the beer onto it...making sure it mixes thoroughly throughout.

This little 2 gallon cooler costs under 10 bucks, and works great for bottling Mr Beer batches...as well as doing AG in your Mr. Beer (see a post of mine from yesterday)
Primary - None

Pride and Joy
Raspberry Dream Hefe
Proud To Be An American Stout

Adamson Brewing

Old 02-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #306
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Airlock & FG Measurements!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover600
I guess I must clarify that I don't use "Mr Beer", I use the food grade bucket method. I do use the bottling bucket, it works great. This is my forth batch and it's the only one I've had problems with. I'm starting to think from all the reading i've done this morning that the 1-2-3 method is the way to go, not the whole "the bubbles have stopped" way. I'm thinking I should have waited longer for fermentation.
If you use the 1-2-3 method you'll get good results. Watching the airlock is not proof its done, but it has never failed me. If all things are going well and you can check it daily, you will know when its done. The two chambers of fluid in the airlock will be almost the same w/ a slightly lower level on the gas-pressure side. For this very reason is why I only buy the "S-Style Airlock".

Officially speaking, measuring the Final Gravity (FG) with a hydrometer 2 days in a row w/o change is proof its done. This is as long you are hitting the target gravity.

The only time I do this Final Gravity measuring is when I'm making something that has really long slow ferment. My 1st Apfelwein was fermented at 53'F. It took ~12weeks to hit 1.005 and another week to hit FG target of 1.000. 13 weeks is a long wait at times taking the measurement is really warranted.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #307
Ramzev
Recipes 

OK, this is my first post. It looks like there is a lot of good info here I'll be spending a lot of time trying to figure this home brew thing out. To my question, I got a Mr. Beer and my first batch started 2 days ago but there isn't any bubbles in the air lock yet. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?
i followed the instructions as written so it should be woking, am I being too impatient?
Thanks for your input.

Dave

Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #308
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzev
OK, this is my first post. It looks like there is a lot of good info here I'll be spending a lot of time trying to figure this home brew thing out. To my question, I got a Mr. Beer and my first batch started 2 days ago but there isn't any bubbles in the air lock yet. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?
i followed the instructions as written so it should be woking, am I being too impatient?
Thanks for your input.

Dave

If you're using a newer style mr beer, there is no airlock just the small slits in the rim of the lid...so you wont see any evidence of activity..and if you have an older one that actually had an airlock, airlocks are really no indication that fermentation is complete...since it's a Mr beer, let it sit in the fermentor for 2 weeks....then bottlie it for 3...and referidgerate it for 2 days before drinking.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #309
Ramzev
Recipes 

thanks for the reply, I suppose I have an old style because I have an airlock just like the one pictured a few posts above. I thought I should be seeing some activity, like bubbles, in it by now but there's nothing.

Dave

Old 02-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #310
Revvy

Recipes 

you're lucky to have an older style then...As long as you followed instructions there is a really good probability that it is fine...It's really hard to screw up beer.

Since you have an older model, you could consider actually getting a hydrometer to test fermentation. But right now, just have patience...your beer is fine.

In the meantime, read this thread, read http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362 as well as other threads around here.. and also http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

And start figuring out your next brew! That way when you bottle this one, the 3 weeks to bottle condition won't seem to drag on too long.

Quick Reply