Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #3001
thx997303
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
Agreed. Maltiness will be quite sparse.

That being said... it will still probably taste pretty good, and the ABV% will be noticeable.

If you want a malty brew (which isn't really pale-ale style, it's more of a scotch ale or amber thing), then use two cans of extract and no booster next time.
Thanks for the suggestions. I tend to enjoy a good range of flavors in beer, so I'm not too concerned.

I really just didn't want to use just the extract and the booster, seemed like it would have been a bit sparse on flavor.

But of course, I am new at this and am only guessing.

We'll see how she goes.

I was seeing some bubbles forming last night about 2 hours after pitching, and this morning there are patches of white on the top of the brew, which I would assume is what I'm supposed to see, but I don't really know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #3002
Desrever
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
I was seeing some bubbles forming last night about 2 hours after pitching, and this morning there are patches of white on the top of the brew, which I would assume is what I'm supposed to see, but I don't really know
Sounds pretty good to me.

Quote:
I really just didn't want to use just the extract and the booster, seemed like it would have been a bit sparse on flavor
I'm not so sure your going to get as much flavor out of the honey as you think tho it pretty much just adds to the ABV as it ferments out maybe next time try adding it after the first week if your looking for flavor.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #3003
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desrever View Post
I'm not so sure your going to get as much flavor out of the honey as you think tho it pretty much just adds to the ABV as it ferments out maybe next time try adding it after the first week if your looking for flavor.
+1 to this.

Honey ferments something like 99%, so very little honey flavor is left behind. There are two ways that I know of to get honey flavor in your beer:

1) Using small quantities (0.5 oz/gallon) of either Gambrinus Honey Malt or Crystal 10L grains can give a honey-like flavor to beer. The Crystal 10L only needs to be steeped, but I think the Gambrinus needs to be mashed.

2) Heat some honey, and use the browned honey for flavoring. BEWARE: heating honey is a great way to make an ungodly mess, and it is also a fire hazard. Know what you are doing before you burn/scorch/heat honey. When it turns a little bit darker brown, you will know that it is less fermentable and will leave some of its flavor behind, though exactly how much depends on how much of it was chemically altered, etc.

I am really serious about heating honey, it can be a fire and burn hazard, and if you do it indoors you are asking for trouble.

Use the grains, but remember that the effect will most likely be subtle.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #3004
thx997303
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well this information is useful.

I had heated the honey prior to adding it to the wort, so maybe it will add some flavor, maybe it wont.

I really have a lot to learn about what will add flavor and what wont.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #3005
Justibone
Recipes 

If you browned it, then it will add some flavor.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #3006
gnarlyhopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Starting over this time with Mr Beer.

Greetings.

OK so after reading the first 51 pages of this thread I feel comfortable with re-starting my brewing experience.
It looks like a minimum of 6 weeks for a batch of drinkable beer from this process, so I will get 2 Mr Beer fermenters and have one busy at least most of the time.
I will add additional liquid barley malt form the grocery store, and add additional hops, and probably look into different yeast. but it looks like I will be going to the LHBS for some light dry malt for carbonation.
I am hoping that having 2 fermenters will help with the patience factor. If I can hold out on over-sampling my first batch, the second will be coming along soon.
Right now space is a prime consideration, that's why the Mr Beer kits. For now the laundry room will have to do for a fermentation spot.
I am hoping to find truly "perfected" procedures and recipes for the Mr Beer
kits- I am sure I'll find them somewhere in this thread.

My previous experience includes 1 failed batch of beer a few years back. The problem began with what seems to be called "explosive" fermentation. Mine was more like "eruptive" fermentation; it silently erupted nearly half the volume of the wort into the huge tub the fermenter was sitting in. When I checked on it, the carboy looked like a volcano, nice mantle of foam in a cone shape with massive flows nearly filling the tub. To me, "explosive" would include collateral damage, i.e. you busted something and made a nice mess to clean up!

I'm getting into this so I can learn to brew some beers that I prefer for whatever occasion, with the tweaks I like. This should be fun!!!

gnarlyhopper

Old 11-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #3007
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
There are two ways that I know of to get honey flavor in your beer:

1) Using small quantities (0.5 oz/gallon) of either Gambrinus Honey Malt or Crystal 10L grains can give a honey-like flavor to beer. The Crystal 10L only needs to be steeped, but I think the Gambrinus needs to be mashed.

2) Heat some honey, and use the browned honey for flavoring.
3) Add honey after pasteurizing your beer.

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Old 11-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #3008
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
3) Add honey after pasteurizing your beer.
I believe most of the flavor ferments out. It depends on the tastebuds, of course, but that has been my experience.

EDIT: Oh, you mean, if you carbonate artificially, and if you get rid of all the yeast. Then, yes, that would work, but you have to carbonate with pressurized gas, not yeast, or add it to already-carbonated beer, by opening bottles. That would work, but I wouldn't want to add very much, since I don't like the taste of sweet beer.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 11-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #3009
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyhopper View Post

My previous experience includes 1 failed batch of beer a few years back. The problem began with what seems to be called "explosive" fermentation. Mine was more like "eruptive" fermentation; it silently erupted nearly half the volume of the wort into the huge tub the fermenter was sitting in. When I checked on it, the carboy looked like a volcano, nice mantle of foam in a cone shape with massive flows nearly filling the tub. To me, "explosive" would include collateral damage, i.e. you busted something and made a nice mess to clean up!
There is stuff called "Fermcap-S", or other silicone surfactant type materials, that can prevent kreusen from overflowing your fermenter. It stays in the bottom of your fermenter when you rack the beer off to bottle. It works like beer magic, and a bottle lasts a looooong time. You won''t have another kreusen volcano if you use it.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 11-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #3010
thx997303
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, about 6 days into fermentation and there is not much foam on the top of my brew.

Is this a concern?

Quick Reply