Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #241
Major_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Shaffer,

Thanks for the info! Wow, the Mr Beer directions don't get into that... I'd read about lagering but somehow wanted to believe that the Mr Beer system really was a simple as it claims.

What do you suggest? Our temperatures here in central NC can range from the 20s to the 70s in February (this week it's the 70s), so the garage or back porch is not a great plan.

A thought: I have a cooler big enough to fit Mr Beer. If I keep a thin layer of ice at the bottom and check the temp regularly, you think that's a good plan?

Dave Vollmer

Haben Sie ein kaltes Vollmerbrau!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 AM   #242
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Well, to further confuse the issue, I would be willing to bet that your lager kit didn't come with lager yeast. Did the yeast have a label on it? I bet your kit was a "lager style" beer, since that's what most beginner's kits have. If that's the case, you don't need to lager it. It's more of a "steam beer" which is simply a lager beer fermented at ale temperatures. Either way, I'm sure the beer will be fine.

As shafferpilot said, patience right now is your best bet!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #243
Major_Brew
Recipes 

No, the yeast didn't specify "lagering yeast." It was simply labeled "brewing yeast."

So...

Hmmm....

Dave Vollmer

Old 02-05-2008, 01:24 AM   #244
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

So, don't worry about the lagering. You can do it after you bottle, if you want. My friend did a vienna lager that was an ale with Mr. Beer, and it was pretty good. What she did was brew it according to the Mr. Beer instructions, and after it carbonated in the bottle, she stuck them in the fridge for 2-3 weeks before drinking. It was fine that way. A true lager is brewed differently with different yeasts, but it's not really a beginner's technique. I think there are many kits called "lagers" that really aren't a true lager.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 AM   #245
Major_Brew
Recipes 

Thanks! My last batch (it was a Cooper's mix and not Mr Beer) bubbled like crazy, so I was nervous with this one so flat...

...but, as I'm learning with this hobby, patience is key. So I'll watch and wait.

Dave Vollmer

Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 AM   #246
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ya know, I should have guessed that. I started brewing by jumping off the deep end with all grain 5 gallon batches based on recipes, so my experience with "beginer's" stuff is non-existant. I'm sure that's an ale yeast, so disregard my talk about lager fermentation, since that's not what you're doing. It's silly for them to use that term, but marketing departments are experts at lying their way into your heart Ok, so don't cool the fermenter or the ALE yeast will just shut down. Now, to get ale yeast to approximate a lager you just need to stay at the bottom end of the temp range, or 65 to 68 degrees. Your basement (if you have one) will probably be a great place. if that isn't enough (or you don't have one), a wet t-shirt draped over the fermenter with a small fan blowing on it should do the trick. Even if the temp goes over 70, that's not a big deal, it just won't taste much like a lager.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 AM   #247
cola
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hey my refill of vienna lager octoberfest just came in the mail today.

so are you saying that stuff is junk?

there is no way that i can refrigerate the stuff for weeks at a time cause i am 'covertly' in the brewing hobby....

Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #248
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

No, no, we're not saying it's junk! My friend loves making it and has enjoyed it.

What we're saying is that there is a real difference between "ale" and "lager" in the beer making world. When you say "lager" to me, I think cold storage and cold fermentation. In some kits, particularly beginner kits, the term lager is misused to mean a style of beer. There is nothing wrong with that- just that it causes some misunderstanding on how to ferment the beer.

In your kit, yeast will come with it. That yeast will be a ale yeast, and the Mr. Beer will be fine fermenting at room temperature.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #249
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

internal dialogue:
Damnit Greg stop making this more complicated, you're posting in the beginner's forum about advanced techniques. knock it off

Sorry for the confusion. It'll be great. All the normal rules apply. Down the road, if you get super involved in the hobby, you can try out true lagers. Till then enjoy what you're doing and keep reading and learning. One of the best things about homebrewing is that you get to decide how far down the rabbit hole you go

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 02-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #250
edbstratt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So, I'm still relatively new to this whole Mr. Beer thing. First brew came out fine -now I'm working on the second: "Witty Monk Witbier" http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p..._Monk_Witbier1.

It's been in the fermenter for 18 days now and I just took a small sample to see whether it was ready for bottling. While it tasted like beer (no hint of sweetness), it was fairly carbonated which tells me it needs more time in the fermenter. It's also in a relatively cool room, about 65 degrees. So..should I keep it in the fermenter for additional time, or.......???

Quick Reply