Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #211
ghostofdavid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Formerly Cincinnati, OH; Currently Columbus, IN, Indiana

I've had my beer sitting the in the Mr. Beer tub for coming up on four weeks now. Should I just dump it then? If it is open aerated, I am guessing that it is worthless. It never foamed up much, but I did not add sugar to it yet. Isn't that when the real fermentation starts? I am going to re-read the manual. I feel like an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #212
arrigo
Recipes 

Yea, my first batch of Mr. Beer was the same way. The first bottle I was trying was only bottled for two weeks as well. As soon as I put it in the fridge it went cloudy. After a day of chilling I popped the top and tried it. It had a cidery taste that I didn't to much care for. But I let them sit for a couple more weeks and decided to give it a try, not a taste of cider and crystal clear. I also found that leaving the beer in the fridge for a 4-7 days before drinking also cleared the cloudiness. I don't use booster or table sugar any more and I haven't had the cidery taste since.

Last edited by arrigo; 01-31-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #213
arrigo
Recipes 

I mean you already brewed it. That doesn't happen with every case of leaving it in longer. Its just a possibility. It could be fine. Poor an ounce out of the tap and give it a try. Bottle it for carbonation and conditioning if it tastes alright. It will be flat and may be sweet but should taste like beer.

Last edited by arrigo; 01-31-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM   #214
arrigo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofdavid
It never foamed up much, but I did not add sugar to it yet. Isn't that when the real fermentation starts?
With most mr. beers, they don't really foam up to much. The only thing you should have added was the booster or ume, the beer mix, and the yeast. This is where the fermentation takes place. Let it sit for normally 14 day with the mr. beer keg. Yours is done fermenting, all you need to do is follow the directions for adding sugar to you bottles for bottling. Adding the sugar will give the yeast more sugar to eat to create co2 to carbonate your beer. As said above your beer is probably fine after the four weeks, its worth a shot.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #215
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrigo
With most mr. beers, they don't really foam up to much. The only thing you should have added was the booster or ume, the beer mix, and the yeast. This is where the fermentation takes place. Let it sit for normally 14 day with the mr. beer keg. Yours is done fermenting, all you need to do is follow the directions for adding sugar to you bottles for bottling. Adding the sugar will give the yeast more sugar to eat to create co2 to carbonate your beer. As said above your beer is probably fine after the four weeks, its worth a shot.
I agree.... Do you run risks by leaving beer in a Mr Beer for 4 weeks? Yes. IF oxydation hasn't taken hold, will this be REALLY good beer? YES YES YES. Bottle that stuff up carefully and leave it for another month, chill it for a week, and you will be astounded at how great it is

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 02-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #216
cola
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default just bought mr. beer

hello all. so mr. beer arrived at my house yesterday and i made a batch and now it is fermenting or whatever. i really like how the keg looks. it is brown and shaped like a barrel. its really cool lookin'

my question is, is "mr. beer" a good product? i know absolutely nothing about brewing.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #217
Pugilist
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

There is a sticky in the beginners forum all about Mr Beer, check it out. I started with it too. Good luck on the new brew!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #218
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Welcome to the new obsessio...er I mean hobby.

To answer your question...No...and Yes. A lot of people slam the good Senior Brewskie, but it is a good introduction to home brewing. It's a stepping stone that many of us passed through on the way to 5 gallon batches.

Now don't judge all homebrew based on what come out the first time....THe ingredients leave something to be desired (Pre-hopped extract). It's not the same as if you did a boil with special grains, extracts and hops.

But if you do research into homebrewing, use good sanitization, even skip buying the Mr. Beer kit ingredients and scale the recipes found on this site down to 2 gallon batches and buy fresh ingredients. You can do 2 gallon full boils and ferment in your Mr. Beer and make some damn find beer.

Here is a good place to start a whole thread on Mr. Beer http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46360

If you got any questions that's a good place to start.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #219
ThebrewdawG

Recipes 

I also started with a Mr. beer. The beer that I made from it was not to bad, but its all gone now and I'm waiting on my first 5gal batch to finish up in secondary so I can bottle it. I plan to brew a porter this weekend. My Mr. Beer kit is headed to ebay.

My grandson's take on avatars.
"note how many fingers he has"

Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #220
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

I built this Mr Beer today...

The Tarantula:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/BREWING/DSCN0455.jpg

The Rig: http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/BREWING/DSCN0454.jpg

When SWMBO is away, the boys will play!

Last edited by The Pol; 02-01-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Quick Reply