Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #2001
Slider46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm trying to start formulating my own recipes and i'm just looking for some reassurance. I figure i'll start with the Mr. Beer extract cans and add some steeping grains and/or additional extract along with some pellet hops.

The Mr. Beer cans of UME/HME are approx 1.5lbs of liquid extract. From what I've read online, it seems like the average ppg for liquid extract is 34. Is this a good average number? It seems to make sense when you do the formula for one of their 'standard' recipes:

1.5lbs LME (1 can) = (34ppg x 1.5lbs) / 2 gallons = 25.5 points
0.8lbs Corn Sugar = (46ppg x 0.8lbs) / 2 gallons = 18.4 points
Total Points----------------------------------- = 43.9

Starting Gravity (approx) ---------------------- = 1.044
Batch Size: 2.13 gallons

^ This seem ok? If so, then I might be looking at my first 'custom' 2 gallon recipe to be something simple like this:

1.5 lbs LME (Hopped Pale Ale)
2.0 lbs Crystal 40L (Steeped)
Starting Gravity: ~1.048

1/2oz Nugget @ 60 mins
1/4oz Willamette @ 30 mins
1/4oz Willamette @ 5 mins

Third question - how much boil-off will I see? If I boil 2 gallons of water for an hour - it'll definitely be less than 2 gallons when i'm through. If increase the starting amount to say, 2.5 gallons, should I be adding more fermentables? 1/4 or 1/2 lb of brown sugar maybe?

Thanks for any help or comments

Brewing:
Ready: Nothing - All Gone :(
Bottled/Aging: Cherry Wheat
Primary: Nothing
Up Next: Irish Red Ale | Almost Flying Dog Pale Ale

My Threads:
Newbie's Fermentation Chiller
Space-Saving "Brew Closet"

Spoke'n Beer Blog - Beer and Bikes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #2002
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

So, looks pretty good to me!

My rule of thumb for liquid extract is: you don't want *less* than 1.1 lb per gallon, UNLESS you are using additional sugars (honey, specialty grains, packets from McDonalds... etc.) Doing as much partial mash as you are, relative to the recipe, I think you should be fine.

How much boil-off you can expect is an open question, every setup is slightly different.

Your changed volume won't affect your sugars, quite so much as it will affect your hop utilization. You'll just have to experiment, then after you know the boil-off you should be able to calculate the IBUs. Considering that your malt extract is ALREADY hopped, I don't know that I would go with quite so long of boils with the fresh hops you are adding. You can never get "boiled hops" out of beer, but if you overdo it with aroma hops you can wait 'em out while the beer ages.

So, it looks good, but I would seriously consider scaling back the hops boil, and you'll know your boil-off after it happens.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #2003
Slider46
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
So, looks pretty good to me!

My rule of thumb for liquid extract is: you don't want *less* than 1.1 lb per gallon, UNLESS you are using additional sugars (honey, specialty grains, packets from McDonalds... etc.) Doing as much partial mash as you are, relative to the recipe, I think you should be fine.

How much boil-off you can expect is an open question, every setup is slightly different.

Your changed volume won't affect your sugars, quite so much as it will affect your hop utilization. You'll just have to experiment, then after you know the boil-off you should be able to calculate the IBUs. Considering that your malt extract is ALREADY hopped, I don't know that I would go with quite so long of boils with the fresh hops you are adding. You can never get "boiled hops" out of beer, but if you overdo it with aroma hops you can wait 'em out while the beer ages.

So, it looks good, but I would seriously consider scaling back the hops boil, and you'll know your boil-off after it happens.
So maybe I should half the boil times or half the amount of hops i'm using?

Thanks!!

Brewing:

My Threads:

Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #2004
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider46 View Post
So maybe I should half the boil times or half the amount of hops i'm using?

Thanks!!
Of those two options, I would reduce the boil times.

How hoppy do you like your beer? And by hoppy, I mean, 1) how bitter, and 2) how aromatic?

1) Bitter = long boil
2) Aromatic = short (or no) boil

The aroma of hops is called "floral", but to me it smells like a bush or something. *shrug* Anyways, I know I like it, but I don't like the bitter. The pre-hopped stuff is already plenty bitter in my opinion, so if it were me I'd err on the side of aroma and dry-hop with the entire 1 oz.

But if you like a bitter beer (the opposite of "malty"), then boiling hops is your key.

I can't make a truly informed suggestion b/c I don't know the IBUs of the extract you're using. If you can figure that out somewhere, somehow, and then calculate how many IBUs you want more than that from the hops, then go for it.

If not, like I said -- I'd err on the side of "aroma". But that's just my $.02!

Old 09-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #2005
Slider46
Recipes 

Quote:
Of those two options, I would reduce the boil times.

How hoppy do you like your beer? And by hoppy, I mean, 1) how bitter, and 2) how aromatic?

1) Bitter = long boil
2) Aromatic = short (or no) boil

The aroma of hops is called "floral", but to me it smells like a bush or something. *shrug* Anyways, I know I like it, but I don't like the bitter. The pre-hopped stuff is already plenty bitter in my opinion, so if it were me I'd err on the side of aroma and dry-hop with the entire 1 oz.

But if you like a bitter beer (the opposite of "malty"), then boiling hops is your key.

I can't make a truly informed suggestion b/c I don't know the IBUs of the extract you're using. If you can figure that out somewhere, somehow, and then calculate how many IBUs you want more than that from the hops, then go for it.

If not, like I said -- I'd err on the side of "aroma". But that's just my $.02!
I like a good IPA but I don't think i'm to the point where I can make a "good" IPA

I'm just going for a balanced pale ale on this one. Oh, also - can I dry hop in the primary? (which is all I have)

Brewing:

My Threads:

Old 09-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #2006
Justibone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider46 View Post
I like a good IPA but I don't think i'm to the point where I can make a "good" IPA
At first it's not about making a "good" anything; it's about making the best anything that *you* can make.

Don't shy away just because you're intimidated or whatever. If you aim for the sky, and miss, you'll still hit higher than you would aiming right for the ground from the beginning.

Quote:
I'm just going for a balanced pale ale on this one. Oh, also - can I dry hop in the primary? (which is all I have)
Yes, you can. Just be careful at bottling time not to get little bits of hop in the bottles, but if you do, it will just settle out with the yeast, probably. Use a hop bag to be sure.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine
Slider46 Likes This 
Old 09-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #2007
Slider46
Recipes 

Quote:
At first it's not about making a "good" anything; it's about making the best anything that *you* can make.

Don't shy away just because you're intimidated or whatever. If you aim for the sky, and miss, you'll still hit higher than you would aiming right for the ground from the beginning.

Yes, you can. Just be careful at bottling time not to get little bits of hop in the bottles, but if you do, it will just settle out with the yeast, probably. Use a hop bag to be sure.
Thanks for the encouragement

Here's my refined recipe:

Moved to Recipes Section

Brewing:

My Threads:

Old 09-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #2008
Justibone
Recipes 

I drooled a bit, reading your recipe.

I think you'll be happy with the Williamette.

You might shock yourself with this beer -- it could be that good -- so make sure to set a few bottles back. I suggest that you try one or two bottles after letting it age for at least 60 days in the bottle. Some of the aroma will fade, but the beer beneath the aroma might really mature and be something delicious.

Looks great! Enjoy it.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #2009
Justibone
Recipes 

Oh, and it's going to be a bit darker than a normal pale ale I think. Use recipator to check your values.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #2010
Slider46
Recipes 

Quote:
I drooled a bit, reading your recipe.

I think you'll be happy with the Williamette.

You might shock yourself with this beer -- it could be that good -- so make sure to set a few bottles back. I suggest that you try one or two bottles after letting it age for at least 60 days in the bottle. Some of the aroma will fade, but the beer beneath the aroma might really mature and be something delicious.

Looks great! Enjoy it.
I posted this in the recipe section and one person mentioned that you should never have more than 20% of the fermentable sugars coming from crystal. Any reasoning for that?

This person said that 20% was the absolute max - you seem to think it'll work out just fine the way I have it setup now.

Brewing:

My Threads:

Quick Reply