Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #1991
Nova5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Indeed. Be happy because the yeast sure are!

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 AM   #1992
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebrew View Post
just started a ipa beer. in less than 24 hours it is fermenting (bubbling). but it is bubbling alot. is that ok
Man, you must be the first person on here to complain that your beer is bubbling too much, usually it's the opposite. Unless the thing starts puking up foam through the lid, don't worry about it. RDWHAHB!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #1993
unclebrew
Recipes 

thanks, it's just bubbling more than i have seen before, thought it was weird. this is the first time i am not using only extract, i actually had some dry malts. next i would love to go all dry malts, i hope

Old 08-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #1994
LCTitan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Chilling the wort

I think I am going to have to start chilling the wort from Mr. Beer kits before I pitch my yeast. Adding the cold water before and after really doesn't bring down the temp that much and pitching the yeast after 5 minutes is way to soon as the temps are still about 87 degrees. Trying to really improve on the taste of these kits. I have a few more to make before we move on from Mr. Beer. We have been watching temps pretty closely and sanitization has been very good. Into the Ice Bath the next batch goes.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #1995
unclebrew
Recipes 

Me too. that's what scared me about the high volume of bubbling. I had me wort sit out, covered, for about an hour waiting for the temperature to go down. it didn't, so i pitched the yeast around 80 something degrees. i thought that might mess up the fermentation process. suggestions for lowering temperature, quickly

Old 08-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #1996
LCTitan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the same concerns as you. I am going to set the next batch of wort into the sink in an ice bath for a bit next time to bring down the temp of the wort before I add it to the keg and then top it off with water. Temp of my last batch was about 85 degrees before I pitched the yeast. I actually waited about an hour for temps to come down. Going to be moving away from Mr. Beer products into 5 gallon extract kits by late fall. Mr. Beer has been a great starting point though but they leave out too many important steps and processes when you go by their instructions.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #1997
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebrew View Post
just started a ipa beer. in less than 24 hours it is fermenting (bubbling). but it is bubbling alot. is that ok
Short Answer: yes.

Long answer: there are a lot of concerns that new brewers have. It's perfectly normal to worry, which is why the acronym RDWHAHB was invented. Making beer is stressful because you have to let go of control -- remember that it *wants* to be beer, and let it become what it wants to be.

Also, the FAQ is full of useful information, give it a good perusal. Then read it in detail. It will calm new-beer-parent nerves.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #1998
Tallmanbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
is it just me or is the wand a bitch to get into the spigot on those mr. beer's?
It's a pretty tight fit. I usually dip the end that goes into the spigot in my sanitizer first...helps a little.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #1999
webnmar
Recipes 

Ref: LCTitan, unclebrew, and others

For temp control, refrigerate your water ahead of time. I have 1 Gal containers (left over from Apple Juice for EdWort's ApfelWein), I store StarSan in them mostly, but for brew day, I pour out into my bottling bucket, fill the jugs with my water, put it in the fridge and chill while I do everything else. Then, when I add the 1 Gal to the fermenter, add wort, and top off to 2.2 gals, the water added has been chilled and brings my temps to around 65degs. Perfect.

Hope this helps.

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #2000
Banjoman76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewyBrewer View Post
I've brewed 27 different Mr. Beer recipes in 2010 ranging from simple to complicated and I doubt I'll ever 'advance' to another type of brewing. Every recipe has produced great tasting beer and I've never had an issue with infection, oxidation or dead yeast just following the standard Mr. Beer directions. I've never moved the batches to a secondary fermenter or cold crashed them before bottling since the beers always come out clear and have great foam.

Mr. Beer brewing is perfect for my lifestyle and wallet, I can brew really good tasting beer with a minimum of fuss and bother. On brew day I typically brew 6 batches (12 gallons) of beer in my fermenters in about 7 hours start to finish including cleanup.

The 2 .13 gallon batch sizes are perfect for experimenting with new recipe additions and the kegs do not take up a lot of room. Instead of 'moving on' to other types of brewing I just keep tuning and tweaking my Mr. Beer recipes using the smaller fermenters.

Novacaine Recipe brewed June 2010:

1 Can West Coast Pale Ale HME
1 Can St. Patrick's Irish Stout HME
1 Can Golden Wheat UME
2 Cans Pale Export UME
2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast
2 Packets Sterling Pellet Hops
2 Packets Northern Brewer Pellet Hops
1 Pouch Ale Liquid Yeast
2 Muslin Hop Sacks

Screwy Brewer
I hated that #@$@# spigot so much that I modified my 3 kegs to the spigot that you use with the 6.5 and 7.9 gallon bottling buckets. I used a dremel to expand the hole. It made attaching a 3/16 hose with a bottling wand at bottling time a snap.

My MrBeer days are over as I have moved up to mostly 5 gallon all-grain batches with an extract from time to time. But they come in handy for small experimental batches.

Quick Reply