Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #1981
ChrisGeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoman76 View Post
Do you have a krausen ring at the top of the fermenter ?
MrBeer yeast is notoriously quick or dead
Recommendation: Try Fermentis US-05
It's looked like this since I "brewed" it (and use that term lightly). I suspected the yeast were dead and called Mr. Beer to see if they had any advice or could send me a new kit or new yeast or something and they assured me there was no way the yeast could be dead.

Pretty sure they're dead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #1982
ChrisGeb
Recipes 

I have another packet of yeast (I had two kits). Should I "repitch" the yeast with the second packet or should I just toss this batch out?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #1983
jollytim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hang on to that yeast. Wait a week. (see my last post).

You won't get a ring of Krausen with the Mr. Beer yeast, it just isn't that dramatic.

Did you use both kits in this one batch? Pitching the second packet of yeast won't hurt anything, but it probably isn't necessary.

Like I said before, wait a week. Relax.... and all that jazz.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #1984
ChrisGeb
Recipes 

I have a hydrometer......problem is I was lazy and didn't take an initial reading seeing as it was a Mr. Beer kit. I have a big boy kit too haha. I basically just brewed it bc I wanted to get rid of my Mr. Beer ingredients. Tough to see but I don't think I have any sediment. The only reason I would scrap it was because I thought the yeast didn't work at all and I wasn't sure what to do with it if that were the case. I'll probably just leave it fermenting for another week and a half and see what happens.

I have one batch of Mr. Beer not fermenting sitting next to a 5 gallon batch of pumpkin ale that is fermenting soo crazy I have the worst blow off I've seen. Random brown spots all over half the room from when the airlock cap blew off.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #1985
jollytim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Okay, I assumed you were a little newer to the hobby. If you want to pitch the other packet, I'd suggest to rehydrate it first to see if it is viable. Or use a better quality yeast. But you can do that if nothing happens after another week.

It's possible, to get some Mr. Beer ingredient profiles to import to BeerSmith. Since it is an extract based recipe, this can figure, quite accurately, your OG. You can measure your FG yourself and see where you are at. I don't have access to my desktop computer for a couple weeks yet, so I cannot send them or post them here yet. But if you are interested, they can be found at the MrBeerFans forum.

Good luck.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #1986
ChrisGeb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollytim View Post
Okay, I assumed you were a little newer to the hobby. If you want to pitch the other packet, I'd suggest to rehydrate it first to see if it is viable. Or use a better quality yeast. But you can do that if nothing happens after another week.

It's possible, to get some Mr. Beer ingredient profiles to import to BeerSmith. Since it is an extract based recipe, this can figure, quite accurately, your OG. You can measure your FG yourself and see where you are at. I don't have access to my desktop computer for a couple weeks yet, so I cannot send them or post them here yet. But if you are interested, they can be found at the MrBeerFans forum.

Good luck.
Thanks, I don't have beersmith because I have a mac, I have beeralchemy though but I have no idea how to do what you just explained haha. I mean I am new, I'm still only a couple batches deep with my 5 gallon set up (If you couldn't tell). Yea, I just used the Mr. Beer yeast because I didn't particularly care that much about this batch, I just didn't know if there was something I could do to save it.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #1987
ScrewyBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 27 Recipes And Going Strong

I've brewed 27 different Mr. Beer recipes in 2010 ranging from simple to complicated and I doubt I'll ever 'advance' to another type of brewing. Every recipe has produced great tasting beer and I've never had an issue with infection, oxidation or dead yeast just following the standard Mr. Beer directions. I've never moved the batches to a secondary fermenter or cold crashed them before bottling since the beers always come out clear and have great foam.

Mr. Beer brewing is perfect for my lifestyle and wallet, I can brew really good tasting beer with a minimum of fuss and bother. On brew day I typically brew 6 batches (12 gallons) of beer in my fermenters in about 7 hours start to finish including cleanup.

The 2 .13 gallon batch sizes are perfect for experimenting with new recipe additions and the kegs do not take up a lot of room. Instead of 'moving on' to other types of brewing I just keep tuning and tweaking my Mr. Beer recipes using the smaller fermenters.

Novacaine Recipe brewed June 2010:

1 Can West Coast Pale Ale HME
1 Can St. Patrick's Irish Stout HME
1 Can Golden Wheat UME
2 Cans Pale Export UME
2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast
2 Packets Sterling Pellet Hops
2 Packets Northern Brewer Pellet Hops
1 Pouch Ale Liquid Yeast
2 Muslin Hop Sacks

Screwy Brewer

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'.

The Screwy Brewer
www.thescrewybrewer.com
Screwy's On Facebook

Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #1988
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewyBrewer View Post
Instead of 'moving on' to other types of brewing I just keep tuning and tweaking my Mr. Beer recipes using the smaller fermenters.
Do your thing!

It's all beer.
Cuinrearview's Gumballhead-Inspired WPA
Pelikan's John's Red English Barleywine

Old 08-27-2010, 11:23 PM   #1989
Ringmaster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

is it just me or is the wand a bitch to get into the spigot on those mr. beer's?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #1990
unclebrew
Recipes 

just started a ipa beer. in less than 24 hours it is fermenting (bubbling). but it is bubbling alot. is that ok

Quick Reply