Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #1701
Tombstone0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've brewed their Hard cider kit. It wasn't bad, but it was kind of light, like most of the beers that use booster. I also tried one of the recipes, I don't remember which one, but it was a bit better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #1702
torbanac
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr52 View Post
has anyone used the Cider brew kit? I am new to the hobby and am pricing out the cider brew kit. Just wondering what your experiences and any advice you could lend.
I concur with the above poster, I made one of their cider kits and it seemed
light, not very tasty.

I would look at scaling down Ed Wort's Apfelwein to 2 gallons. Its much nicer!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #1703
mgr52
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbanac View Post
I concur with the above poster, I made one of their cider kits and it seemed
light, not very tasty.

I would look at scaling down Ed Wort's Apfelwein to 2 gallons. Its much nicer!

ok great thanks for the tips everyone.

how does the Apfelwein turn out? I have never brewed before obviously so when I think cider, I think of the major brands. Is the taste along the lines of any brand?

would I be able to buy the cider kit and just brew the apfelwein with the kit?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #1704
torbanac
Recipes 

No ,you can't make it from a kit. It's something you make from scratch and use your Mr. Beer equipment to make. Can't be much simpler, apple juice, dextrose and yeast.
If you carb it, it will come out dry like a wine. If you kill the yeast and then add sugar it will be sweeter but will be still (no carbonation). Read all about it here.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-...felwein-14860/

Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #1705
webnmar
Recipes 

I have made 3 batches of Edwort's Apfelwein( 1 split between two Mr. Beer kegs, and 2 in a 5 gal craboy), it is like a dry white wine with a distinct apple note. It winds up being about 7-8% ABV by his recipe. We have noticed that it gets the women drunk faster than typical Pinot or Chard. Maybe because they drink it faster. The taste seems a lighter than you would expect, not cider like.

I choose to let it ferment and then stay in primamry for 4 weeks, then bottle and I choose to carbonate. We like it sparkling, but definitely a preference thing.

I am not a big cider fan, but i like this alot!

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Old 04-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #1706
bottweiser
Recipes 

Default better bottles?

Some time ago I got a "Mr Beer kit" secondhand. It consisted of just the fermentor keg and the little booklet. I recently bought the mr beer wheat wizenbeir kit and it's happilly bubbling away. Now I'm thinking about bottles.

I thought about getting the "deluxe bottling kit" mr beer makes. Fancy name for a dozen PET bottles and some labels (so everyone knows what a high quality your beer is). Then I discovered, I can get 16 plastic bottles of 16 oz miller lite for about the same price. I figure I will choke down the miller lite and then reuse the bottles. This will be better because: a) the bottles are smaller and b) the miller bottles have a barrier to prevent gas exchange, which I don't think the señor beer bottles have.

By the way, this thread is huge. If I want tips on improving my mr brew do I really have to scroll through 170 pages?

Also, what is it that makes people say mr beer sucks? Is it the fermenter itself, or just the quality of the malt extracts and yeast, or the booster, or what?

Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #1707
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottweiser View Post
Some time ago I got a "Mr Beer kit" secondhand. It consisted of just the fermentor keg and the little booklet. I recently bought the mr beer wheat wizenbeir kit and it's happilly bubbling away. Now I'm thinking about bottles.

I thought about getting the "deluxe bottling kit" mr beer makes. Fancy name for a dozen PET bottles and some labels (so everyone knows what a high quality your beer is). Then I discovered, I can get 16 plastic bottles of 16 oz miller lite for about the same price. I figure I will choke down the miller lite and then reuse the bottles. This will be better because: a) the bottles are smaller and b) the miller bottles have a barrier to prevent gas exchange, which I don't think the señor beer bottles have.

By the way, this thread is huge. If I want tips on improving my mr brew do I really have to scroll through 170 pages?

Also, what is it that makes people say mr beer sucks? Is it the fermenter itself, or just the quality of the malt extracts and yeast, or the booster, or what?
http://www.mrbeerfans.com/pmwiki/pmw...Main.MrBeerFAQ
I started with MR Beer 1.5 yrs ago. If you follow the directions on the link I provided, not the Mr Beer directions; you can make good beer. I am now doing All Grain 4 gal batches. For me, I wanted more out of this hobby than just opening a couple cans of extract. I am formulating my own recipes & growing my own hops. But; if it wasn't for Mr Beer, I probably wouldn't have gotten my start in homebreing, (I thought it was too difficult).

Old 04-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #1708
Patster
Recipes 

+1 to mrbeerfans.com

That is also how I started. I did Mr. Beer for a year (about 25 batches) before I decided I wanted to start kegging 5 gallon batches.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #1709
johnmcc
Recipes 

I started with Mr.Beer, did 15 batches, all turned out great, had plenty of compliments, Mrbeerfans.com is a great site, glad I found that site before I started brewing.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #1710
gfreaky
Recipes 

Hey guys and gals,

My first post, hopefully I won't get flamed into oblivion for it!

So I recently inherited a Mr Beer "keg" (vessel?) sans any of the actual ingredient kits to start brewing. My question is whether I should go ahead and buy a kit from Mr Beer or go and buy the individual ingredients to follow some other recipe.

I feel like getting a kit from them would be sort of a cop out and I wouldn't learn as much as I would if I did it "from scratch". On the other hand, this is my first attempt and maybe there is something to be said for simplifying things? I'm very excited either way and can't wait to start!

If someone could point me in a good direction I'd very much appreciate it!
-GF

Quick Reply