Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #1501
carndog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bottled the Irish Stout, and used Fermentis US-05 yeast. The temp was low 50s for the two weeks (way too low, US-05 bottom temp is 58F). I opened a bottle a couple nights ago and there was absolutely no carbonation.

If I put the bottles in a warmer temp for a couple weeks, is there a chance it will carbonate?

Primary: More Beer Pliny the Elder Clone
Secondary: AHS Dogfish Head India Brown Ale Clone
Bottle Conditioning: Pumpkin Ale,
Drinking: AHS Budget IPA, AHS La Roja Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #1502
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bottle carbing will take forever at those temperatures. Try storing the bottles at 68-75 degrees for a couple of weeks.

My airlock passes gas.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #1503
somecallmetex
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Any approximations as to how low I can set the thermostat when I leave if I stick with the provided yeast.

Another thing, I checked my supplies, one of my packages of sanitizer has inflated for some reason (the rest are normal), is the inflated one still ok to use?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #1504
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetex View Post
Thanks for the advice. Any approximations as to how low I can set the thermostat when I leave if I stick with the provided yeast.

Another thing, I checked my supplies, one of my packages of sanitizer has inflated for some reason (the rest are normal), is the inflated one still ok to use?

Well...I wouldn't set the thermostat much below 70. And don't place the bottles on a cold floor. The inflated bag probably means moisture has gotten into the pouch. I would probably toss it.

My airlock passes gas.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #1505
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try placing your bottles or fermentor someplace warmer like on top of the refrigerator or somewhere else up high (heat rises). Even though S-05 lists 59 as a minimum temperature I've noticed that it really slows down when you get below the mid-60's. The yeast should wake back up if you place them somewhere warm.

Do you have a hydrometer (what was the final gravity)? Did you taste your stout before bottling (did it taste sweet)? Did you use glass or the plastic Mr. Beer bottles? If your temperatures were in the 50's during a two week fermentation I'm worried that fermentation might not have been complete when you bottled. Any sugars not fermented due to the cold temperatures will be fermented in the bottle along with your priming sugar possibly causing them to over carbonate. When you warm your bottles for carbonation place them inside several heavy duty garbage bags or inside a cooler to contain any exploding bottles. The Mr. Beer bottles are quite sturday and will tend to bulge out and the caps may bulge before exploding, where glass bottles will just go "pop".

Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 PM   #1506
Zul'jin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Guy gave me a Mr Beer beer the other night. Something ale. Not too bad. Like beer met 7-up. Kinda like a shandy of sorts.

Drunking: All kinds of stuff.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #1507
somecallmetex
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hadn't thought of on the fridge. I was probably going to keep it in a cooler in an inner room of my house where it should stay warmer, or on a high shelf in the closet of that room. I may need to just accept the fact that I should wait until after I return to make it. BTW, I think all the Mr. Beer has the same yeast, but would the type of beer I'm making with it change anything?

Old 12-20-2009, 03:44 AM   #1508
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes, all the Mr. Beer recipes use the same yeast. It is a good, reliable ale yeast that can make tasty beer. Many beer styles require a specific yeast to properly make that style so technically they cannot be made with Mr. Beer yeast.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #1509
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Default Mr. Beer is a "Gateway Drug" to bigger brewing addictions

Yes, shamefully I admit: I started with a Mr. Beer. However, now I own a Brutus 10, home built system with all 15 Gallon Blichmann tanks and many other gadgets. I have a fridgeration system for the Lagers and a 4 spout Kegerator. So, I would have to say that Mr. Beer is a "gateway drug" to bigger brewing addictions.

Your thoughts?
dlester,
Los Angeles

Old 12-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #1510
crowe
Recipes 

Im on day 4 of fermenting w/ my mr beer kit. I already ordered a few carboys and hops and yeast.. Im trying to build up.. Id agree its a nice starter. but i didnt even get to try mine bf stepping up lol

Quick Reply