Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #1481
khiddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on that, beerocd! I totally agree: there is no rule (not 2-2-2, nor 3-3), just know that a little more time is better than drinking it too soon (or quickly)!

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #1482
webnmar
Recipes 

+1 khiddy
+1 beerocd

The 1-1 "rule" in the Mr. Beer directions is just WRONG, don't be fooled.

After that, 2-2-2.. or 3-3, doesn't matter really. My method has evolved to 4 weeks in fermenter, at least 6 weeks in the bottle minimum. But, I have a pipeline going. Until I had stuff to drink it was brutal to wait.

I recommend whatever "rule" you follow, plan on more time. Plan to put a beer in the fridge for a week, when you go to get it and try it, put the next one in the fridge, repeat weekly while taking notes until you find the right time for it to age for your tastes.

I recommend the Millenium Ale recipe on the Mr. Beer site if you are looking for other to try.

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Old 12-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #1483
iansbrew
Recipes 

I received a 6 gallon Mr beer several years ago (15 maybe?) and never used it. My friend who is just getting started brewing is starting with an all grain, three stage, 10 gallon batch. A very impressive looking system ona rolling stand with 3 stainless steel pots linked via valves and tubing and 3 propane burners along with a stainless cone bottom fermentor and a glass car-boy. This has inspired me to break out my Mr Beer and start brewing. The idea was for me to use the simple Mr. Beer method and for him to use his much more involved process and see how they compared. My intention was to remain true to the original Mr beer instructions and methods as possible. The can mix included in the kit was old and bulged out, so I bought a new can of Coopers Real Ale and 2 lbs of light malt extract syrup. After a little research I decided that I wanted to do a secondary fermentation. I broke down and purchased a 6 gallon brewing bucket and quite a bit of extra equipment including a hygrometer, some iodophor, a second airlock, some bottle caps (the Mr Beer kit included about 5 or 6, 2 qt PET plastic bottles to bottle the beer), a racking tube, a bottle filler tube, some stick on thermometers, a digital thermometer, a 20 qt. stainless stain brew pot, an aeration stone for aquariums, and some bottled O2 ( I already had this on hand) to airate the wort prior to pitching the yeast. So I have strayed quite a bit form the original plan, but neither of us will care as long as the beer turns out good...right? So I brewed my fist batch a 2 days ago and it has been happily bubbling away in the closet at 70 F.

My intention at this point is to rack the brew into the original 6 gallon Mr Beer fermentor (a 6 gallon clear PET plastic container with an airlock, not the brown keg shaped one) and let it sit there for awhile clearing and conditioning. Mr question is this: will there be too much airspace in a 6 gallon container for a 5 gallon brew? Should I consider putting a blanket of CO2 on the top? I have been advised by someone at Wine Craft in Roswell, GA to rack the beer after primary fermenting for just 2 or 3 days so that the beer will ferment more and produce a layer of protective CO2 in the secondary fermentor. After reading some of the advice here I am more inclined to let it sit in the primary fermentor for more than a week or 2 and then rack it to the secondary fermentor for conditioning. Everything is going so well right now I would hate to mess it up. Please advise.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #1484
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I always inert when I transfer beer whether it is going into a secondary or into a keg. It is probably not needed if you plan on drinking your beer within 6 months but it can not hurt. I have experimented with inerting bottles prior to filling or not and I have not been able to notice a difference but then I don't seem to have any that stick around for more than a couple months.

As for using a secondary I have waffled back and forth several times when doing an ale. Currently I'm back to thinking that the secondary is not worth the extra labor and risk of infection. I do like the improved clarity at bottling/kegging but a cold crash of the primary before transfer can do the same. Filling the secondary with CO2 prior to the transfer and then purging the head space takes care of oxidation concerns so you don't have to worry about doing the transfer when fermentation is still active. It's back to the extra labor and can taste the difference.

Post back what you decide and how it turns out.

PS: I'm glad you did not try to use those olde cans of Mr. Beer LME. That would not have ended well.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #1485
Banjoman76
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Basic Brewing Radio did a show on Mr Beer on the 12-03-09 called "Making the Most of Mr Beer". It was an interesting listen with James Spencer.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:50 AM   #1486
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I listened to that this morning - the guest mentioned HBT ,,and he was very interesting

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #1487
iansbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
I listened to that this morning - the guest mentioned HBT ,,and he was very interesting
How can I listen to that? I would be very interested.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #1488
iansbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansbrew View Post
How can I listen to that? I would be very interested.
Nevermind, I found it. Google is my friend.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #1489
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

He did?!?!? Looks like I need to refresh my iPod!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #1490
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
He did?!?!? Looks like I need to refresh my iPod!!
When he was pitching his website/forum, he compared it to HBT, saying it was nowhere near as big as Homebrewtalk ...

made me feel connected !

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Quick Reply