New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 AM   #1401
webnmar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerocd View Post
The first one I kept cuz it sounds funny.

Step 1 - is WAY false. Do a search on autolysis on the site. I've gone 2 months - no problems. Not on purpose - just life gets in the way sometimes.

Step 2 & 3 - good tips.

-OCD
As a 21 batch Mr. Beer brewer, I agree very strognly with this. I ferment for 4 weeks, Bottle condition for 4 weeks to 6 months, let them chill for at least 1 week before drinking.

I know waiting is hard, but that is why I have a pipeline going.

As for other keys, your fermentation temp will be too warm in the mid to high 70's. Try a few things to cool your little cabinet if possible. Install a CPU fan to move the air, make a small swamp cooler, insulate the cabinet with foam, etc. Getting the temps down to 65-68 will be a great improvement.

Time is your friend. Others have said here that 2 or 3 weeks doesn't matter because of diminishing returns ..... This is definitely UNTRUE for Mr. Beer. Time continues to improve it for 6-8 weeks on the ales like WCPA, and much longer on some of there advanced recipes. I have been tasting at week and monthly intervals and keeping a log and can definitely prove without a doubt, MORE TIME IS BETTER.

Listen to Revvy that carbonation takes at least 3 weeks at 70deg. This is separate from conditioning in my mind. If you wait longer, you will be rewwarded. I believe 6 weeks is a minimum now gievn my experience.

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 01:38 AM   #1402
webnmar
Recipes 

I guess another way to put this is ...

Since size does matter, longer is better!!!!

Of course, more than a year is questionable. I know I can't wait that long.

It's kind of like the disclaimer with the little blue pill, if you experience the effect for longer than 4 hours, then seek medical attention,
so I guess you can wait too long!!

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Old 09-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #1403
jollytim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks webnmar. Yes the temps did get too high... no worries, just won't be the best it could be. That cabinet was a temporary solution to a space problem. After the 'future mother in law' leaves... I'll be able to set up an ice water tub in the guest room. I also have a dorm fridge up there... maybe I'll start on some lagers.

I also noticed you are close to my current neck 'o' the woods... I'm in C'ville, a couple hours down 29.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:18 AM   #1404
webnmar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollytim View Post
Thanks webnmar. Yes the temps did get too high... no worries, just won't be the best it could be. That cabinet was a temporary solution to a space problem. After the 'future mother in law' leaves... I'll be able to set up an ice water tub in the guest room. I also have a dorm fridge up there... maybe I'll start on some lagers.

I also noticed you are close to my current neck 'o' the woods... I'm in C'ville, a couple hours down 29.
I just finished making the "Son of Fermentation Chiller" to control my temps better. I actually made it as a topper to a current wheeled cooler I have. This way I can move it in and out of my cubby space. This might work as well.

Can you put a new temp controller on the dorm fridge?

If C'ville is Centerville, then your only 30 minutes down 28/29. if its Charlottesville, well then it is a couple of hours. HeHe

I made a Mr. Beer recipe called Millenium Ale, I highly recommend it!! It was great in just 1 week, and has been getting better week by week.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #1405
jollytim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm planning on building a temp controller... I saw a thread around here somewhere... it's in my bookmarks.

I'll check into the Millennium Ale, I trying to go more towards what I can get at the LHBS instead of the MB site. If for no other reason than, I can get it faster (maybe cheaper considering shipping).

And the C'ville I referred to was the latter...

Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #1406
thurdl01
Recipes 

Been awhile since I've posted. Still Mr Beer brewing, but we're house hunting, which means soon I should have a basement to brew in and can upgrade to big boy equipment. First two batches are now just happy memories, the west coast pale ale that kept getting better and better as we went, and the pleasant Cherry Wheat that we just finished up the last bottle of.

Currently hanging out in bottles, waiting to get old enough, is a boysenberry stout. It's not something that I saw anywhere on their site, just something that I decided to throw together as I like both boysenberries and stout. It gave the bottling wand fits as the seeds got stuck, but I drew off a shot glass worth to give it a try, and it had both an aroma and aftertaste I could only describe as "mmmm, pie!" I'm being as patient as I can, especially because a wort spill meant one less bottle than usual. Probably start cold conditioning next weekend.

Sitting in the keg: pumpkin porter, bottling this weekend. Just in time to drink a vastly under aged bottle for Halloween, then letting it age more properly for Thanksgiving.

I've got IPA hanging out, waiting to go next. I might break my streak of three straight fruit beers, cause I just don't know what to put into an IPA.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #1407
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, have you guys ever had autolysis? If so how long does it take to be apparent? Or is autolysis something you have to let it sit on trub for a year?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #1408
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I had one bottle with a bad seal and on trub for 6 months. Tasted better than the first one I opened.

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 10-01-2009, 12:48 AM   #1409
jollytim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't let my lack of posts fool ya. I've been around awhile. While what you said about 2 weeks vs 3 weeks may be true, especially considering my higher fermentation temp, autolysis will not occur for many months. Far longer than it will be in my fermenter. That being said, there is some truth to the fact that in this case bottling sooner and conditioning longer may be the way to go. Still 3 weeks isn't that much of a sacrifice, as I've got other beer to drink in the interim. I can wait.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #1410
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcc View Post
Actually I prefer fruit beer, I've brewed Cherry Wheat, Raspberry Wheat (twice), Purple Daze, Spiced Lemon Wheat (favorite so far).. Just PUREE the heck out of the fruit and dn't forget to sanitize your blender. All batches were fermented 2 weeks.
Mr Beer's directions are somtimes terrible.

Pour in the can of Fruit puree.... But wait.. they sent solid fruit. did they goof on the directions and mean Fruit from the can, or did they leave out a step saying to puree the fruit..

Or poor in the cooked puree, but the pumpkin puree never says cooked or not, can't find out online if it is cooked or not. Nor does Mr. Beer say how to cook it and how long.

This is my only gripe with Mr. Beers directions. Forgetting steps or valuable information.

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Quick Reply