Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #1301
khiddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Reading through the last week or so of posts in this thread, I have one piece of advice that applies to every one of you who's posted a question or a review of your Mr. Beer batch:

WAIT! DON'T DRINK IT YET!

You're all opening your beer too soon after putting it in the bottle. A week? Nine days?

Give it 3 weeks at 70*F, then a week in the fridge before opening. You'll be rewarded with a smoother, better carbonated, less green-tasting beer.

This isn't hard, folks. I know it can be difficult to wait, given that you're so excited to try the fruits of your handiwork. But your impatience is going to drive you out of the hobby. Give it a little more time, and you'll find the real flavor that even Mr. Beer can produce.

WAIT!

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #1302
Roosterman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khiddy View Post
Reading through the last week or so of posts in this thread, I have one piece of advice that applies to every one of you who's posted a question or a review of your Mr. Beer batch:

WAIT! DON'T DRINK IT YET!

You're all opening your beer too soon after putting it in the bottle. A week? Nine days?

Give it 3 weeks at 70*F, then a week in the fridge before opening. You'll be rewarded with a smoother, better carbonated, less green-tasting beer.

This isn't hard, folks. I know it can be difficult to wait, given that you're so excited to try the fruits of your handiwork. But your impatience is going to drive you out of the hobby. Give it a little more time, and you'll find the real flavor that even Mr. Beer can produce.

WAIT!
Thanks for posting. I know I drank to early. As you said, I was excited about tasting the golden nectar. I did have pretty low expectations, so I was very pleased with the results. I have the second batch fermenting now. Later this week, I'll bottle it. I will let it sit longer this time. Like you, all the grizzled vets say wait. So I wil. I will look forward with anticipation for the results.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #1303
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Just as an addition to khiddy, I've made an IPA, some of which was bottled, and some went into a Mr. Beer barrel (similar setup, but I liked the spout etc). It's been fermenting for 3 weeks (actually due to laziness) and bottled for three weeks. Even my wife, who likes BMC water, liked the IPA.

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #1304
thurdl01
Recipes 

I knew I rushed the first bottle, but I actually did it in part to show myself how the character would change over time. The rest have been hanging out in my 70 degree spot until I pick them off one-by-one and have been getting better and better. My second batch is hanging out right now, hits two weeks on Friday, and I'm being more patient with it, mostly because I've got the first batch to tide me over.

Just opened my fourth bottle of WCPA this weekend. Had probably a month in room temperature carbonation and a week of cold conditioning. That was a dern good beer. And a dern good beer with what I understand is one of the weaker Mr. Beer products.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #1305
lnxusr
Recipes 

Default Floating little flakes?

So, I'm 8 days into my first ever brew of American Blond Ale and there's these little flakes floating around. I noticed them a couple of days ago. That's when it started clearing, so they may have been there all along and I just couldn't see them. Some flakes are moving down, some up, but most of them are suspended not going up or down.

Is this normal and/or OK?

I've been planning on fermenting for two weeks and hope they've settled by then. If not, should I wait a bit longer or got ahead and bottle?

I've done a few tastes. The first a few days after putting in the little keg - it was really yeasty tasting. Second time, five days old - It was less yeasty but real sweet. Today, the sweetness was less but more yeasty than last time, not quite as yeasty as first.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #1306
mad_legend
Recipes 

I believe the flakes that are suspended to be the hops from the malt extract. They should settle down after being in the keg 2-3 weeks. The yeasty flavor is partially due to them settling on the bottom right next to the spigot and going straight into your glass, and also becuase they are still active.

On another note, I have noticed, and it has been said, to WAIT! Waiting will solve most of your concerns/issues, ex:

I made a batch of 'Hop Head Red'.

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Bewitched Red Ale
1 Can Pale Export UME
1 Pouch Booster™
1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of beer mix)
1 Packet Willamette Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet One-Step™ Sanitizing Cleanser

YOU PR0VIDE:
1/2 Cup Honey (I used a whole cup)

The instructions say 2 weeks keg, 4 weeks lager. Boy, was I disapointed! After 4 weeks in the bottle, it looked like mud, tasted alright, but looked nasty. I put it away for another 4 weeks, looked better, but not great. Finally, it disapeared into my collection to be forgotten. 7 months later, I figured I'd give it a chance... WOW! Beautiful red, balanced, perfect carb. Since then I have learned if it doesn't taste or look good, WAIT!

The only advice I can give to help with waiting is to buy/make more beer and try making Apfelwein too! The more you make, you will eventually end up with a stockpile!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #1307
lnxusr
Recipes 

Thanks mad_legend. I see now I should have waited one more day before posting. Today, there's only a few flakes floating around, it's getting clearer and the yeasty taste is less.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #1308
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As we say about brewing patience: "Step away from the beer!" .

But cracking a bottle at one week intervals can sometimes be educational.

My airlock passes gas.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #1309
thegame310
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just finished up bottling my first batch of West Coast Pale Ale. I fermented for about 3 weeks. And i'm going to go with the advice on here and bottle for 3 weeks at 70, then a week in the fridge before opening. I cant wait to see the results.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #1310
Roosterman
Recipes 

I just finished my last beer from my first batch. Something interesting is the difference between bottles within the same batch. It didn't seem to be aging but the carb was quite different in each. The last was the most carbed, but some earlier on had decent carbing. Others were only slightly carbed. Just kind of interesting to me to have the difference.

Quick Reply