Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #121
Will21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

ok, should be bottling my west coast ale this weekend...

1) on Saturday it will be 14 days, if my bottles do not come by then, will it harm the beer to sit for another couple days before the bottles come?

2) instead of 12 oz bottles, i bought 22 oz ones instead. nuts! anyway, how much sugar do i put in each bottle now? VERY CONFUSED ON ADDING SUGAR. how do i put the sugar in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #122
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21

1) on Saturday it will be 14 days, if my bottles do not come by then, will it harm the beer to sit for another couple days before the bottles come?

2) instead of 12 oz bottles, i bought 22 oz ones instead. nuts! anyway, how much sugar do i put in each bottle now? VERY CONFUSED ON ADDING SUGAR. how do i put the sugar in?
your Mr.Beer kit should come with all the necessary directions for boiling, and bottling.

make sure you sanitize your new bottles... they will require 1 1/2 tsp. of sugar, the best method is to use a funnel (buy a cheap one at the grocery store, or make one out of paper)

www.mrbeer.com has a lot of info available to view right on the site... they have PDFs of everything.

Instructions:
http://www.mrbeer.com/images/pdf/complete07-inst.pdf

oh and if the mixture sits for longer than 14 days, you have nothing to worry about.... the longer it sits, the more refine the taste will be. (so i've gathered)

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #123
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is beer. i finally bottled my WCPA today. I started the process on New Years day and finally tasted and bottled my brew today. Now comes what is going to be the hard part for me waiting the two weeks recommended for priming. The beer has a nice golden color and a mild flavor. i can't wait to chill and drink it.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #124
ThebrewdawG

Recipes 

Hello all,
I just joined the board today when I got to work, (I love my job) but before I left home I tasted my very first HB. Yep made from a Mr. Beer kit I bought myself when I was Christmas shopping for my wife at BBB. I have wanted to get into this for as long as I can remember and now I'm up-grading to 5 gal batch brewing as soon as my wifes valentines present arrives from Midwest supply!

Dodgedawg

Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 AM   #125
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloHoppa
effin EAC
Oh, you're gonna fit in around here just fine

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 AM   #126
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21

1) NO!! As you read posts around here, you'll find that some of the best brewers leave their beers in primary for over a month!

2)follow the Mr Beer instructions for priming like braehaus says. Once you step up to 5 gallon batches, you'll find that adding priming sugar to the bottling bucket is better(easier) than adding sugar into individual bottles, but don't worry about that now.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 AM   #127
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedawg
Hello all,
I just joined the board today when I got to work, (I love my job) but before I left home I tasted my very first HB. Yep made from a Mr. Beer kit I bought myself when I was Christmas shopping for my wife at BBB. I have wanted to get into this for as long as I can remember and now I'm up-grading to 5 gal batch brewing as soon as my wifes valentines present arrives from Midwest supply!

Dodgedawg
Sounds like a good plan.... BUT you have some serious homework to do!!

Start here and read EVERYTHING then start over and read it again and again till it makes sense:

www.howtobrew.com

Then check back in and start asking questions about what you need to get started with 5 gallon batches. Some people will groan about hearing the questions for the umpteen billionth time, but don't worry, there are still those of us who will help ya out

Old 01-11-2008, 03:23 AM   #128
GloHoppa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
Oh, you're gonna fit in around here just fine
haha considering ive racked up over 100 posts since christmas

Primary: (empty)
Carboy: Apfelwein, aged 11 mo
Mr. Beer: (empty)
Bottled/Conditioning: (empty)

Planning: Belgian Pale Ale, Hop Harvest Ale

Old 01-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #129
Happy5000
Recipes 

would it be possible to use a "Beer Machine keg" instead of bottles for priming & storage?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #130
Dextersmom
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have my very first batch of mr beer going right now. I've been reading through this thread and have a few questions.

someone mentioned an alternative use for the mr beer fermenter keg and suggested to use it as a "cask curer." Won't that not work well because the top of the mr beer fermenter has notches to release the air pressure?

Also someone else mentioned buying some equipment from home depot and only using the mr beer keg for bottling. If you transfer from one container to another, isnt that going to stir up sediment?

lastly I liked the idea of buying the ingredients for a 5 gal setup and using half of it for a mr beer, but does that mean i'm gonna waste the second unused half if i don't have a second fermenter? or can it be stored and used at a later time? (do extracts preserve well after they've been opened?)?

I'm real excited to get my mr beer batch out of the way and get my hands on a 5 gal setup.

Quick Reply