Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 01:35 AM   #1221
Killer_Robot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHendrix View Post
So im already on my third Mr. beer brew and I just ordered a 5 gallon kit. I think I am officially addicted and I haven't even tasted my first beer yet.
I just did the same. While waiting for my first Mr. Beer to finish brewing, I went and got a five gallon kit so I could give some cider a try. I figured, I had use for everything in the kit but the buckets anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #1222
doublehelix68
Recipes 

Default Not sure where to post my queries so I'll just ask here.

This will be my 3rd beer making attempt.

I'm making a Red Lymon Pilsner (attempting on the 2nd), a summer beer I hope.

I'm gonna: Use 7LBS Pilsner malt extract and steep some grains for 40 min prior to the boil.

My grain bag has 2LBS of a Pilsner 2L, 1LB of a Cara Red 20L and 1/10 of a pound of Chocolate (hopefully to impart a redish hue to the wort).

Peel and blend 3 limes (soaked in vodka for a week to kill off of any beasties) then add them in a hop bag to my boil for 60 minutes.

Hops with a 10+ AAU at 60, 30 and 5 minutes.

*My real question is can I (after soaking in the vodka) place in a secondary fermenting-vessel an infuser with the lime peels (julienned) and the lemon grass and get a predictable result?

*I am also gonna use a San Fran Pilsner Lager Yeast. What temp is best for fermenting? Will a normal 65 degrees be adequate?

*Also, where can I pick-up and/or download those posters that have the types of yeasts to use as well as one of those poster that has all the terminology, formulas, definitions and equations on it?

Thanks much.

doublhelix68@gmail.com

-CR

Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #1223
webnmar
Recipes 

doublehelix68,
This thread is a Mr. Beer thread. I imagine that none of us noobs using Mr. Beer can help with your question. I would recommend either moving the thread to the Beginner's Beer Brewing threads or to the General Beer discussion threads. You may get a response here out of luck, but better chance in one of those places. Sorry I can't help you more. Good luck and happy brewing.

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Old 04-28-2009, 04:29 AM   #1224
Killer_Robot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My first Mr. Beer batch should be ready for bottling in a few more days: my next planned is one of their recipes: all-malt stout with some pellet hops, brown sugar, and flaked oatmeal, so it should have some more complexity than what came with the kit. I have an 11g pouch of dry Nottingham yeast: would that be a good fit for the style? And if I use that, should I use the whole pouch or just part?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #1225
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Robot View Post
My first Mr. Beer batch should be ready for bottling in a few more days: my next planned is one of their recipes: all-malt stout with some pellet hops, brown sugar, and flaked oatmeal, so it should have some more complexity than what came with the kit. I have an 11g pouch of dry Nottingham yeast: would that be a good fit for the style? And if I use that, should I use the whole pouch or just part?
Nottingham is a fairly flavor neutral yeast, so it should work fine. Plus, it's tough as hell, and dirt cheap. Notty is one of my favorite yeasts all around.

Go ahead and pitch the whole thing. Honestly, it's almost impossible for a homebrewer to overpitch yeast to the point of off flavors. It's much easier to underpitch. Just toss it in there, it'll be fine.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 AM   #1226
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

doublehelix68 -

You posted...

Quote:
*My real question is can I (after soaking in the vodka) place in a secondary fermenting-vessel an infuser with the lime peels (julienned) and the lemon grass and get a predictable result?
I wouldn't use the whole peels of citrus fruit. Try zesting the peels instead. I'm thinking that the white pithy part is bitter.

Pogo

Old 04-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #1227
Brewinator
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
One of the best Mr. Beer batches I made was the Oktoberfest Vienna Lager and 1 lb of Amber DME.
People (snobs, trying to make themselves feel superior) dog Mr. Beer, but I recently tried a friend's Octoberfest using Mr. Beer's HME, and I preferred it to Warsteiner's Octoberfest. While the Warsteiner is very smooth, the Mr. Beer was maltier and gave that wonderful aroma usually only found in Doppelbocks like Salvator. Warsteiner has been brewing since 1753, considerably longer than most Mr. Beer brewers.

I find Mr. Beer's fermentation kegs to be genius in their simplicity. I still use them for 1/2 size AG batches. Much easier to bottle from that spout than a siphon.

My advice to all Mr. Beer people is to slowly incorporate ingredients (from your local homebrew store, not the expensive Mr. Beer Website) until you are doing all-scratch extract recipes.

Then try partial-mash or all-grain at least once using Deathbrewer's stovetop method. You can still use your beloved little kegs.

Reason: Grammar, clarity

Old 04-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #1228
thurdl01
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewinator View Post
My advice to all Mr. Beer people is to slowly incorporate ingredients (from your local homebrew store, not the expensive Mr. Beer Website) until you are doing all-scratch extract recipes.
My first batch bottles tomorrow, which is exciting. I couldn't help myself, and poured a shot-glass worth, and by god, it tasted like beer. Not great beer, and certainly flat beer, but beer I made.

I've got two more recipes waiting in the wings. One is one of their two-can recipes, but I've got another that's an HME-plus-booster recipe, since that's how the two-for-one coupon I got worked. So I would like to start the whole process of gradually adding ingredients with that batch, since I know the thing people dog the Mr. Beer for the most is that blasted booster.

So. If I was looking to upgrade my experience, what should I be looking to do it with. A trip to a local home brew store is certainly something I would consider (got one just a few miles from me in Seven Corners, VA), but really I'm just looking for a way to upgrade my experience with their Whispering Wheat Weizenbier. I've seen suggestions of replacing some or all of the booster with honey, or with DME. Is there something that would work particularly well with a Weizenbier for someone still taking baby steps?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #1229
Brewinator
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The best upgrades depends on the style. For wheat, see if your LHBS has any fruit extracts in the fridge (cranberry, strawberry, etc), and use 1-2 ounces of it at flameout. Forget Mr. Beer's actual fruit, those only work well with secondary's, IMO.

Booster is probably OK for American-style pale lagers, but other types will benefit from malt. The first logical upgrade for beers other than pale lagers is malt extract. I prefer liquid, others prefer dry. Dry is easier to measure, but I find it clumps and is more likely to boil over (never walk away from boiling wort, especially in the first 5 minutes). Use both and decide for yourself.

Hops are an obvious upgrade for pilsners (a particularly weak formulation by Mr. Beer, IMO), pale ales and IPAs. I think the lack of hops is the main reason some Mr. Beer recipes come out mediocre. WCPA is 14 IBUs? Sierra Nevada is 37. Pilsner is 18? The style guideline is 35-45, so you can assume Pilsner Urquell is somewhere in there.

Dry yeast would be a good choice too. Mr. Beer yeasts should be thrown into the wort at flameout as yeast food.

At some point, by an extract recipe book called Brewing Classic Styles and brew an all-scratch recipe (scaled down to 2.125 gallons, of course). It is written by two of the best-regarded homebrewers around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurdl01 View Post
If I was looking to upgrade my experience, what should I be looking to do it with. A trip to a local home brew store is certainly something I would consider (got one just a few miles from me in Seven Corners, VA), but really I'm just looking for a way to upgrade my experience with their Whispering Wheat Weizenbier. I've seen suggestions of replacing some or all of the booster with honey, or with DME. Is there something that would work particularly well with a Weizenbier for someone still taking baby steps?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #1230
thurdl01
Recipes 

Awesome. I was planning to go in this weekend and grab a bottling wand (and just to look around), I'll see if they've got a nice fruit extract.

Quick Reply