The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #1201
Rusty_Warhammer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just got my Woot Mr. Beer kit yesterday. I've been reading through "How to Brew" online while waiting for it to arrive, and now I'm comparing what I learned to the Mr. Beer instructions.

The Mr. Beer instructions say to fill the keg with cold water, then add the wort, then add more cold water to bring to final volume. Nowhere does it mention boiling the water that you use to initially fill the keg prior to wort addition. I'm planning to boil the initial water and let it cool, then add it to the sanitized keg, unless this is somehow an unnecessary step.

Am I fussing over nothing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #1202
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It depends. If you use tap water, boiling is is recommended to get rid of chlorine. But if your utility uses chloramine for disinfection, you can't get rid of it by boiling and need to use a filter or campden tablets instead - or buy bottled water.

Infections from unboiled tap or bottled water are pretty rare, but many people still prefer to boil just to have one less thing to worry about.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #1203
thurdl01
Recipes 

I'm another part of the big woot influx. First batch is fermenting, and though I lost about a tablespoon to a leak in the spigot, it seems to have stopped. I've been reading through this thread in bits and pieces over the last few days, both before the kit arrived and after, and would just like to thank everyone who's ever answered a question in here over the last few years.

And in advance for people who will end up answering my questions. Cause I will eventually have plenty, I'm sure.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #1204
JHendrix
Recipes 

Another Mr Beer Noob from Woot here, my beer has been fermenting for about 5 days, the beer looks full and cloudy and there is a bit of foam forming at the top but today I took a little sniff of it and it smelled very skunky. I keep it in my garage where it is almost always pitch black, is the skunky smell normal or did I screw up already?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #1205
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHendrix View Post
Another Mr Beer Noob from Woot here, my beer has been fermenting for about 5 days, the beer looks full and cloudy and there is a bit of foam forming at the top but today I took a little sniff of it and it smelled very skunky. I keep it in my garage where it is almost always pitch black, is the skunky smell normal or did I screw up already?
Which beer kit came with it ?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:19 AM   #1206
JHendrix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock_jac View Post
Which beer kit came with it ?
west coast pale ale with booster

Old 04-18-2009, 02:30 AM   #1207
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
With Mr Beer, it's a toss up. What you're smelling probably isn't skunking, at least not in the technical sense. Skunking is generally a reaction of hops and sunlight, and since the Mr Beer kit is dark amber colored, and contains almost no hops, skunking isn't very likely. Fermentation generally doesn't smell like a bouquet of flowers, as it's basically one step away from rotting.

Your beer will be fine, or as fine as Mr Beer can be.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:36 AM   #1208
JHendrix
Recipes 

Good to hear, thanks for the quick response

Old 04-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #1209
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Good to hear, thanks for the quick response
I are ninja.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #1210
Killer_Robot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got my woot! kit last Thursday, and started brewing the pale ale it came with along with some honey for flavor. To use up the coupon I got the makings for an oatmeal stout and a wheat, with a spare DME to avoid the booster and some cider yeast to try that. I figure after that I'll move to more adventurous work with more varied ingredient sources.

I've been reading through this thread from the start but have a couple questions:
First, after that post on a kit exploding from the lid being on too tight, I wonder how tight -should- it be? I don't want to have that problem, but I don't want it loose enough that air can get in at the beer.
Second, I'd like to make the wheat a strawberry wheat especially with the season not too far off. My question is, what do I need to do in terms of cleaning/cooking/preparation to toss fresh fruit in there without worrying about bacteria or wild yeast spoiling the batch? And how much is a good amount to add a strong flavor to the end result?

Quick Reply