Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #1111
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpasker28 View Post
I have read waiting is the hardest part. I'm seriously considering buying another small keg to minimize the waiting after I get this next batch going
Honestly, after making my first Mr Beer batch and reading up on the forum here, I knew that little 2g fermenter wasn't for me. I had all the equipment delivered, and had my first proper extract batch fermenting before that Mr Beer batch was ready to bottle. They just didn't offer enough variety in the recipes to keep me interested.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #1112
Bombarde32
Recipes 

And how exactly are you (did you) planning to break MRB to your wife? Just wondering how it goes b4 I tell my wife I'm about to start brewing in a side closet.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #1113
Bombarde32
Recipes 

Default New Mr Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Welcome to the forum AND more importantly welcome to youe new obsess...er, I mean, Hobby!
So I've read the first 50+ pages of this thread and I can't take it anymore. I need to brew beer! I'm going to go get a MrB (any relation to Mr T??) and if I understand everything right ....

Just skip the booster b/c of cider aftertaste. W/out a hydrometer: Follow the MrB directions but on time tables ... ferment 2 weeks, bottle condition 2 - 3 weeks, fridge for a couple days and drink.

Do I need to replace the booster w/ anything? (Sorry, such a noob)

Sound about right?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #1114
webnmar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombarde32 View Post
So I've read the first 50+ pages of this thread and I can't take it anymore. I need to brew beer! I'm going to go get a MrB (any relation to Mr T??) and if I understand everything right ....
I feel your pain. Did the same thing, but very well worth it. Lots of great information and good contacts too!

Quote:
Just skip the booster b/c of cider aftertaste. W/out a hydrometer: Follow the MrB directions but on time tables ... ferment 2 weeks, bottle condition 2 - 3 weeks, fridge for a couple days and drink.

Do I need to replace the booster w/ anything? (Sorry, such a noob)

Sound about right?
I HIGHLY recommend that you replace the boost with 1 pound of Light(Pilsen) Dry Malt extract(DME). You need the fermentables if you leave out the booster. I am now drinking my first batch of Canadian Draft and I left out the booster and put in the DME. It was a great plus I think. No sweetness or cidery flavor. Just a little dry. Probably because it is still green.

Other big recommendation is 2 weeks in the fermenter, and 2 weeks in bottles is a minimum. I did 10 days each. Still great beer, but DO NOT do the 1 week and 1 week as the instructions say. Otherwise, we will have Revvy send you the "Step away from the BEER" post.

Enjoy your next great addiction

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #1115
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Do I need to replace the booster w/ anything?
Ideally, another can of Hopped Malt Extract. If you want a less full-bodied beer, you could substitute a can of their unhopped malt extract in a color similar to what you want to see in your finished product. For example, you don't want to use their Pale Export UME for a stout, or the Creamy Brown for a blonde.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:01 AM   #1116
Bombarde32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webnmar View Post
I feel your pain. Did the same thing, but very well worth it. Lots of great information and good contacts too!

I HIGHLY recommend that you replace the boost with 1 pound of Light(Pilsen) Dry Malt extract(DME). You need the fermentables if you leave out the booster. I am now drinking my first batch of Canadian Draft and I left out the booster and put in the DME. It was a great plus I think. No sweetness or cidery flavor. Just a little dry. Probably because it is still green.

Other big recommendation is 2 weeks in the fermenter, and 2 weeks in bottles is a minimum. I did 10 days each. Still great beer, but DO NOT do the 1 week and 1 week as the instructions say. Otherwise, we will have Revvy send you the "Step away from the BEER" post.

Enjoy your next great addiction
LOL. I've lost track of how many times I've seen "It's fine, step away from the beer."

DME is what? Dry malt extract? That's what the yeast feeds on I assume? Still trying to get my acronymns straight. All this info makes me feel

Old 03-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #1117
webnmar
Recipes 

Quote:
DME is what? Dry malt extract? That's what the yeast feeds on I assume? Still trying to get my acronymns straight. All this info makes me feel
You will notice when you re-read my post that I gave the acronym first Dry Malt Extract (DME).

This is a dry malt that is the consistency of very fine corn meal. Very dusty, but great for the little yeasties. You use it exactly like the booster. Stir it in slowly before you turn on the heat. It will clump together and give you a mess if not careful. Same as Booster actually.

It gives a malty and dry add to the beer, where the booster will be more cidery and sweet. But only when it is green(young). If you give either enough time, it will improve dramatically.

Drink lots of good micro-brews while waiting for it. You get the benefit of free bottles when empty, and an easier time at the long first wait!

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Old 03-07-2009, 03:02 AM   #1118
Bombarde32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webnmar View Post
You will notice when you re-read my post that I gave the acronym first Dry Malt Extract (DME).

This is a dry malt that is the consistency of very fine corn meal. Very dusty, but great for the little yeasties. You use it exactly like the booster. Stir it in slowly before you turn on the heat. It will clump together and give you a mess if not careful. Same as Booster actually.

It gives a malty and dry add to the beer, where the booster will be more cidery and sweet. But only when it is green(young). If you give either enough time, it will improve dramatically.

Drink lots of good micro-brews while waiting for it. You get the benefit of free bottles when empty, and an easier time at the long first wait!

Sounds good! I think I could become a top poster if I threw out all the questions I had. LOL. Can't wait to get my MrB Monday. The wait through fermentation and bottling is going to kill me!

Cheers!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #1119
MarcJWaters
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started out on Mr Beer too. Every Easter Sunday in my home town of Baltimore they had a charity event called Kegs and Eggs. Basically consuming hard boiled eggs and beer for charity. Sound gross - it was. I can not describe to you the horrors of what happened on those days.

Anyways, I had a consolation prize of a Mr. Beer kit. I was hooked once I tasted my first batch. However, it has a lot of problems.... as I am sure everyone is aware.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #1120
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am leaving the Mr Beer system behind and heading into All-Grain brewing, but I have a lot of HME's and a couple of UME's if somebody close to me wants to buy them just PM me.

Quick Reply