Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #1101
Monk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think regular table sugar is fine for priming. I've gone back and forth, depending on what I have at hand, and I can never tell a difference in taste. The quantity is much too low to affect flavor. I think cane sugar might ferment a little quicker.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #1102
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa_f117 View Post
Also, I live on Puerto Rico, the temp. right now is avg. 82, where can i maintain a temp from 65 to 75??
I agree with yeoldebrewer, you've got to try to get the temp down to under 70F. For me, the greatest improvement to my beers came from properly controlling the temperature of fermentation, particularly for the first few days. The only bad beers I've made were caused by too hot a fermentation.

You might want to use very cold water to mix with the wort as you're filling the carboy, so that after you top it up to 2.whatever gallons it's about 60F. Then pitch the yeast and it will kick in as the wort warms up. At least then you have a head start on it. If you pitch the yeast warm, it will take off like a rocket and the yeast activity will make the wort even hotter.

Follow one of the suggested methods of cooling it, like putting it in a picnic cooler with bags of ice. Too cold is not that big a deal...too hot tastes like kerosene.

Good luck bro!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #1103
bpasker28
Recipes 

I got a Mr. Brew for my birthday in the beginning of January. I think I committed some noob mistakes, but am not sure. The pale ale can is what my kit came with.

I had heard sterilizaion is key and made sure to follow the instructions surrounding this to the T.

I cooked it all up and placed it in the fermenter for about 10 days. From there I bottled it with table sugar and let it sit in the top of my closet out of the sun for another 7-10 days. From there I placed the beer in my fridge for another 2-3 days and cracked my first one open.

It was certainly carbonated as I could hear and feel the pressure release when I opened the plastic bottle. The beer seemed to be sweet tasting, is that normal or is that because I used the table sugar?

Other then that I think everything worked fine. I'm excited to get another can and more bottles, prefferably glass bottles like the grolsch brand ones I see in stores. Anyone use these and have feedback on them?

Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #1104
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

You suffered from 2 things, green beer and kit directions. You really want to let that beer sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks minimum before bottling. After that, you should let it sit at about 70 degrees for 3 weeks in the bottle. This will reduce that sweetness, and should result in better tasting beer overall.

Instead of using table sugar to bottle, try corn sugar. The usual formula is 3/4 cups of corn sugar per 5 gallon batch, and I had success using 3/8 cup with the 2 gallon Mr Beer batches.

Even doing all this, I found the Mr Beer Pale Ale tasted like Natural Light, but it was drinkable.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #1105
johnnyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Pre-hopped extract?

I've never used a Mr. Beer, actually never seen one in person but that's all my buddy has. I'm going over to his house this weekend to help him out, I've been brewing full-boil extracts for a couple months and wanted to make sure he was on the right track. He's got 3 cans, 19.4oz, of pre-hopped extract, a Blonde Ale, Oktoberfest, and a Golden Ale. They all use munich and crystal malts but of course don't mention amounts or even the type of hops.

I really think I could help him make better beer. Rather than adding the alcohol booster, table sugar, etc I suggested he use all 3 cans. I figured it'd still make beer and he wouldn't get the strange tastes of table sugar. According to Beersmith 3 cans, or 3.6 lbs would make the alcohol around 6.5%. What I wanted to check though is do these pre-hopped w/ grains included LME cans have the same approx amount of fermentables as regular LME? He's broke right now so I don't want to suggest he upgrade equipment. If I decide to just use 2 cans I guess the blonde and golden would be the best to combine?

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #1106
bpasker28
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
You suffered from 2 things, green beer and kit directions. You really want to let that beer sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks minimum before bottling. After that, you should let it sit at about 70 degrees for 3 weeks in the bottle. This will reduce that sweetness, and should result in better tasting beer overall.

Instead of using table sugar to bottle, try corn sugar. The usual formula is 3/4 cups of corn sugar per 5 gallon batch, and I had success using 3/8 cup with the 2 gallon Mr Beer batches.

Even doing all this, I found the Mr Beer Pale Ale tasted like Natural Light, but it was drinkable.

Thanks for the information. I really enjoy New Castle and would like to give Mr. Beer's Nut Brown Ale a try to see if I can get it to turn out with my second batch.

Do you think I should use the two weeks in the fermentor and three weeks in the bottle rule for this as well? Longer? How long in the fridge?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #1107
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

You'll probably want to leave it in the fermenter for a minimum of 2 weeks. At 4 weeks, you might get a better flavor out of it, but it's really up to you how long you want to wait. I wouldn't ever leave anything in that little keg for longer than a month, because of the lack of a proper airlock. After 3 weeks in the bottle, it will be drinkable, but again age will only help. Since we're talking Mr Beer ingredients here, I doubt 6 months in the bottle is going to turn it into something amazing, so 3 weeks is probably long enough.

After that, 48 hours in the fridge and you're good to go. They did tell you that waiting was the hardest part, right?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #1108
bpasker28
Recipes 

I have read waiting is the hardest part. I'm seriously considering buying another small keg to minimize the waiting after I get this next batch going

Old 03-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #1109
webnmar
Recipes 

bpasker28,
I just opened my 2nd bottle of High Country Canadian Draft from Mr. Beer. My two have been great so far. No cidery or sweetness. Infact mine were very dry, in a pleasant and unexpected way. I did however do a few thiings with the batch:
Substituted 1lb of Pilsen Dry Malt Extract (DME) instead of the booster.
Let it sit in the fermenter for 10 days (made sure of 3 days at same FG reading from the hydrometer)
(Highly recommended "must have" addition to your brewing arsenal)
Bottled in glass bottles with recommended table sugar level and carbed for 11 days and still counting.

I am now purposefully taking one out every three days, refridging it for three days and then sampling so I can keep notes on how it ages. This also helps me pass the time as "waiting is the hardest part".

As for other flavors/recipes. I recommend that you spend some time on the Mr. Beer website and see what combinations and recipes they have. I have two recipes in primary fermentation right now. American Gold Premium that I will test/sample/ and hopefully bottle on Sunday; and the May the SchwarzBier With You that will ferment an additional 2-3 weeks before hydrometer testing and bottling. They both smelled great, looked great, and my OG sample tasted great. Can hardly wait for those.

I have also added a 3 Gal PET water jug as a second fermenter so that I can get a pipeline going. I think I am going to prefer the small batch size so that I can create a variety and not have gallons to drink to keep the churn going. I also like the ease/simplicity of this for now. I think it will really help develop my techniques, as well as develop my palate for the specific tastes that I like/don't like (hoppy, malty, dry, fruity, etc.) I really enjoy alot of different kinds of beer, so this will help me keep some variety going without guzzling 5 Gals. of everything I make.

Many others will recommend pushing you towards 5Gal setups.... and I will go there too someday, but I highly recommend that you be patient and read everything on this site before you do.

It helped me create a great first beer. Not an award winner, but better than BMC at the grocery store!!

If you are interested, I will keep you posted on my "over time analysis".

Read every post from Revvy, Yooperbrew, and pals and heed their words..... Patience is the key. Welcome to your next addiction.

Drinking - Shocktoberfest, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, EdWort's Oktoberfest Ale, German Alt Dunkel, EdWort's ApfelWein, May The Schwarz Bier With You 2

Bottle Cond.- Novacaine(11/20), Tripel Tipple (8/15), Russian Imperial Stout (8/15)

Primary- Variation on EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (10/16), EdWort's Cran-ApfelWein(10/17)

Plans- Optimator Clone, Millenium Ale

Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #1110
bpasker28
Recipes 

Thanks, and yes I"m interested in hearing of your experience.

I still have 2-3 liters of my first batch in the fridge, which gives them probably another 6 weeks fridge time. Sadly they were all put in there at the same time hwoever. I'm going to pop one open in the next day or two to see if that has helped with the green-ness of them at all.

Quick Reply