Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #1081
MFDave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Actually, you can fill it right up without worries. The lid is ported to allow gas to escape. There is no reason to go drilling holes and installing airlocks, as the CO2 is just going to escape anyway.

If you have a hard time believing this, try this out: fill your empty Mr Beer keg with water, then shake the heck out of it. Now go change your shirt, because water leaked out of the ported lid.

The Mr Beer keg is especially useful for Apfelwine, because it doesn't really have krausen like most beers do. Just a thin layer of bubbles.
Oh I know the Mr. Beer cap is vented. I was asking what I should do to convert a one gallon wine jug I have into a small fermenter. I figured I couldn't just screw the original jug cap on so I was inquiring as to what to do. That's where the stopper and airlock came into the discussion. I used my Mr. Beer to make my apfelwein and I agree it is useful. Thanks for contributing though.

Primary: Pomegranate Apfelwein, Brandon O's Graff (w/ some slight alterations)
Bottle Conditioning: Die Apple! Apfelwein, Pear Soda (w/ vanilla & cinnamon), Mango Soda, Orange-Cream Soda, Ginger Ale
Awesoming: Die Apple! Apfelwein
Up Next: Cherry Vanilla Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #1082
KerryD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just did two batches of Apfelwein in the two Mr Beer primaries I ended up with. I won't be using these things for anything again until I do one of the valve mods. Only real weakness in these things, IMHO.

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein

Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #1083
catchem
Recipes 

i just brewed a batch of canadian ale. and the bottles that came with the mr beer are 1 liter, so i thought i wood by some glass swing top bottles and not thinking when i added the suger these bottles were 16 oz not 48 so i added
2 1/2 tablespoons of suger to the 16oz bottles like i wood have done to the liter ones realizing it after the fact.

my question is, is my beer going to be good, or are the bottles going to burst?
this is my 3 batch and it just keeps gitting better.

thanks-
catch em

Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #1084
catchem
Recipes 

just brewed a batch of canadian ale. and the bottles that came with the mr beer are 1 liter, so i thought i wood by some glass swing top bottles and not thinking when i added the suger these bottles were 16 oz not 48 so i added
2 1/2 tablespoons of suger to the 16oz bottles like i wood have done to the liter ones realizing it after the fact.

thanks-
catch em

Old 02-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #1085
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
Actually, you can fill it right up without worries. The lid is ported to allow gas to escape. There is no reason to go drilling holes and installing airlocks, as the CO2 is just going to escape anyway.

If you have a hard time believing this, try this out: fill your empty Mr Beer keg with water, then shake the heck out of it. Now go change your shirt, because water leaked out of the ported lid.

The Mr Beer keg is especially useful for Apfelwine, because it doesn't really have krausen like most beers do. Just a thin layer of bubbles.
The OP was asking about a one gallon jug ,not his Mr.Beer keg.That's why I
suggested the stopper and airlock.
I did learn your leason the first time I washed out my Mr. Beer. Got soaked from shaking it.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #1086
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFDave View Post
Nice answer. What I'm asking is what I should use to convert it over to properly vent.
Sorry if my attempt at a friendly jest offended!

I would agree with the suggestion to use a stopper and an airlock on the jug.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #1087
nvr2low
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchem View Post
just brewed a batch of canadian ale. and the bottles that came with the mr beer are 1 liter, so i thought i wood by some glass swing top bottles and not thinking when i added the suger these bottles were 16 oz not 48 so i added

thanks-
catch em
im thinking you are going to end up with some bottle bombs, of course if you have flip tops you can vent them to release some pressure so they dont blow up.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #1088
MFDave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Sorry if my attempt at a friendly jest offended!

I would agree with the suggestion to use a stopper and an airlock on the jug.
Haha it's cool. I was just acknowledging the smart-assedness. I ordered a stopper and airlock today.

Bottle Conditioning: Die Apple! Apfelwein, Pear Soda (w/ vanilla & cinnamon), Mango Soda, Orange-Cream Soda, Ginger Ale

Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #1089
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFDave View Post
Haha it's cool. I was just acknowledging the smart-assedness. I ordered a stopper and airlock today.

Ah, I thought so, but wasn't sure. Good luck with the little fermenter. I'm thinking of picking up a little three gallon carboy to brew up small batches of cider and mead. My wife isn't a big fan of beer but enjoys wine, cider, and mead...come to think of it, so do I!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #1090
MFDave
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Ah, I thought so, but wasn't sure. Good luck with the little fermenter. I'm thinking of picking up a little three gallon carboy to brew up small batches of cider and mead. My wife isn't a big fan of beer but enjoys wine, cider, and mead...come to think of it, so do I!
Yeah I'm designating my Mr. Beer soon to just small batches of cider and wine and other experiments. I'm moving on to a 5 gallon set-up for beer soon.

Quick Reply