Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer - Read all about it and ask questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #1021
llazy_llama
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

A quick question for KerryD (or anyone else who's added corn sugar into the fermenter for bottling): How did you mix the corn sugar without disturbing the trub, or did you just wait for it to settle again before bottling? Seems like this method could introduce a lot more gunk into the bottles than is necessary.

Glad to hear your beer turned out okay though, even if it's a bit lacking in the taste department. I expect to get beer from my kit, not necessarily good beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #1022
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Irishman78 -

I just happened across an ad in the Sept/08 Southern Brew News for a brewery (micro, probably) in Montgomery.

Montgomery Brewing
12 W. Jefferson Street

(334)834-2739

If they don't offer ingredients/equipment themselves, they, of all people, would surely know if there is a LHBS in your town.

Pogo

Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #1023
Irishman78
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Hey Irishman78 -

I just happened across an ad in the Sept/08 Southern Brew News for a brewery (micro, probably) in Montgomery.

Montgomery Brewing
12 W. Jefferson Street

(334)834-2739

If they don't offer ingredients/equipment themselves, they, of all people, would surely know if there is a LHBS in your town.

Pogo
Pogo,

The Montgomery Brew Pub is an awesome restuarant and bar, and their homemade brews are quite good. They really have honed in on their trade since they opened several years ago.

I have not thought to ask them about ingredients or supplies, but that is a good idea. As far as a LHBS goes, my homebrew buddy found a website that listed them by state, and the closest it listed was Alabrew in Birmingham. Went there last Saturday and bought some stuff, and the owner directed me to a guy who lives here in Montgomery who has a "brew club" type thing going, so I am going to check that out. He should have great advice as to the best way to get supplies.

Glad to see the Montgomery Brew Pub made the Southern Brew News! Thanks for the help!

Oh and also, we have already began thinking "big boy" equipment. We want to get a few more Mr. Beer batches going to get used to the new hobby, but by Spring we hope to be "moving on up"!

Primary #1: Oatmeal Tiger Stout
Primary #2: Rocket City Red
Secondary #1: Tuskaloosa IPA
Secondary #2: Alabama Pils
Mr. Beer Fermenter (4): All empty
Conditioning: Vulcan Butt Porter, Apfelwein
Refrigerating: Cherry Wheat Ale
Up Next: Apfelwein

Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #1024
KerryD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
A quick question for KerryD (or anyone else who's added corn sugar into the fermenter for bottling): How did you mix the corn sugar without disturbing the trub, or did you just wait for it to settle again before bottling? Seems like this method could introduce a lot more gunk into the bottles than is necessary.

Glad to hear your beer turned out okay though, even if it's a bit lacking in the taste department. I expect to get beer from my kit, not necessarily good beer.
I should have been more specific. I did a mix and poured it into a bottling bucket then added the MR. Beer. I used tubing to ease the aeration issue. I think 5/8"s is close... you'll need a clamp.

Yeah, it's not too bad. I think the wife will drink it even if it stays like it is now.

Primary I: Barley Wine Divine #6 attempt
Primary II: Saint Arnold's Elissa Clone
3 Gal BB: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Next up: .....
Bottled: Wing and a Prayer IPA, AHS Blue Moon, Centennial Blond, Yoopers Dogfish 60 Clone, Texas Wheat, SN Celebration Ale clone, Ed's Haus Pale Ale, 6 variations of Apfelwein

Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #1025
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryD View Post
I should have been more specific. I did a mix and poured it into a bottling bucket then added the MR. Beer. I used tubing to ease the aeration issue. I think 5/8"s is close... you'll need a clamp.

Yeah, it's not too bad. I think the wife will drink it even if it stays like it is now.
Ah, makes more sense now. Thank you.

Here's to the hope my tax return comes in quick so I can buy some real equipment!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #1026
Irishman78
Recipes 

Made a batch of Voodoo Magic, which called for one can of LME, one of UME, and one cup of light brown sugar. Used LHBS-bought yeast packet, which was noticeably more than the Mr. Beer packet. After 3 days fermenting, there is a ton of krauten (sp?) on top, but I guess that is normal for 2 cans and a cup of brown sugar? This thing is bubbling up like crazy. Anyway, I have a stick-on thermometer which is reading about 70 degrees, so I assume I am okay and it is still early.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #1027
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman78 View Post
Made a batch of Voodoo Magic, which called for one can of LME, one of UME, and one cup of light brown sugar. Used LHBS-bought yeast packet, which was noticeably more than the Mr. Beer packet. After 3 days fermenting, there is a ton of krauten (sp?) on top, but I guess that is normal for 2 cans and a cup of brown sugar? This thing is bubbling up like crazy. Anyway, I have a stick-on thermometer which is reading about 70 degrees, so I assume I am okay and it is still early.
Sounds normal to me. Sounds like a good fermentation going on. How long are you thinking of leaving it in the fermentor?

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #1028
Irishman78
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Sounds normal to me. Sounds like a good fermentation going on. How long are you thinking of leaving it in the fermentor?
I was thinking two weeks, but ultimately I will bottle when I see that fermentation has stopped, based on what I see or don't see floating on top.

It was kind of exciting to see that much fermentation going on, as this is really the first real "recipe" I have brewed using Mr. Beer ingredients. The other one I have brewing is the standard 1st time WCPA, and after 11 days fermentation looks to be done.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #1029
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Irishman,
I left my WCPS in for 3 weeks, based on information I learned from this sight. It has been in the bottles for almost 3 weeks. May try one this weekend. Fermentation was done before that, but I wanted to let the yeasties clean up a little after theirselves.

Cheers,

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 01-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #1030
Irishman78
Recipes 

I may go an extra week, but to be honest, I am wanting to free up the fermenter for another, better batch... I definitely plan to leave it in the bottles for at least 3 weeks, and then maybe try 1-2 bottles each week after that. I have read on here that is a good way to see how conditioning improves the taste.

Quick Reply