Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer Microbrewery System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
xBOBxSAGETx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mr Beer Microbrewery System

My sister, bought me this system because she knows that I love craft brew and I still haven't used it. Does anything think that this would be good practice before moving onto something bigger and more technical? Or would I be wasting my time making 6 beers hahaha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You should read the "sticky" about Mr. beer at the top of the forum list. It has a TON of info about Mr. beer. I am not a huge fan of Mr. beer, but it is a good way to get your feet wet in the brewing hobby. It is a good way to learn sanitation and brewing technique with a minimum investment in time and equipment. Try it out, and if you like it, step up to a bigger extract kit, or even go all-grain.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 09-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A lot of us started with Mr. Beer. I was surprised it turned out as good as it did.
You'll like it!

Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: Bavarian Hefeweizen

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer

Superbowl champions.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I think it's a great way to start, you can figure out if brewing is really something you enjoy without investing a whole bunch of money. Don't expect the Mr. Beer finished product to be as good as your favorite commercial craft brews, but it is pretty cool to know you made it, and it's totally drinkable beer. By then you'll either decide homebrewing isn't really for you, or get hopelessly addicted like the rest of us.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
Holy_Hops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started with Mr. Beer and made 5-6 batches with it.

Truth be told I'm glad I did because it got my feet wet and helped me learn the basics of Homebrewing. Then I took what I learned and moved to 5-gallon extract brews, learned some more, and then moved to All-Grain. Sort of a stepping stone approach, I guess, but I learned a lot and I think I was a better brewer because of it.

Plus - you actually can make some pretty good beer with Mr. Beer. One of the best Stouts I ever made was with Mr. Beer believe it or not.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
cmcgeehan151
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first ever batch was a month ago. I got a mr. Beer as a gift then I used the mr. Beer fermenter, but did a 2.5 extract brew with no seeping grains and a hop schedule just to get used to the process instead of the included kit.

Now my neighbor and I have 5 gallons each: a red ipa and sculpin clone in secondaries and a DIPA and a founder breakfast stout clone in primaries. we made wort chillers I found a chest freezer to use as a ferment chamber, in thr process of converting a cooler to a mash tun etc etc etc:

Moral of the story: watch out a Mr. Beer gift may lead to bigger things

Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
smitty0341
Recipes 

My brother gave me a Mr Beer kit along with a recipe for raspberry hard cider. I am no cider expert, but it had a crisp taste, and well carbonated. It was very refreshing, and I learned alot. Now I am waiting on my second batch to come in the mail. Its a Mr Beer October Fest recipe. Hopefully it will turn out awesome! I think my Mr Beer kit is a great starter kit.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>Plus - you actually can make some pretty good beer with Mr. Beer. One of the best Stouts I ever made was with Mr. Beer believe it or not.

I made a really tasty coffee stout. I "dry hopped" several packets of Flavia ground coffee from the office, and let it sit a week or two. The coffee taste was too strong at first, but then mellowed nicely.

I also liked the Raspberry beer (with canned raspberries)

Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
xBOBxSAGETx
Recipes 

This is awesome guys. Thank so much for the responses and reassurance! I'm going to order one of the brew kits from Mr Beer and get my feet wet!! Expect a thread with some shots of my first brew!! Thanks again, you guys rule!! Hahaha

Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
gwdraper4
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

There are a few other small scale brewing kits out there, so while you are considering Mr. Beer give us a look and let me know if we can help you start your homebrew journey! Cheers and happy brewing!

Life is too short to drink crappy beer@
Kegged: Super Hoppy Red Ale, IPA
Bottle: Barleywine, Belgian Chocolate Red
Fermenting: India Brown, Pale Ale

Quick Reply