Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr Beer Home Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 05:08 AM   #21
GoodBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I gotta make another round to almost everyone:

First off, Lounge Lizard, I'll brew each batch two weeks in the kegermentor and two weeks in bottles. It may be tough with this being my first batch, but I'll try to hold on an entire month just to have that tasty beer hit my lips. Maybe I'll try one or two early as Monk suggests though.

Cheesefood: I said "yes" to a few of those. So I hope you're right.

Chask31: I work in the city too. What are some of your favorite bars? I'm always looking for good places.

As for jldesign and freyguy: You've both answered a question that has been bothering me. I was wondering why I couldn't just cut some of the instructions in half. And I was also curious how much experimenting could be done with my Mr. Beer. I'll keep both of your comments in mind as I brew more.

I think (in the short term) I may actually purchase a second Mr. Beer Brew Keg. It would only cost $15.00, and I could experiment more. It's been pointed out in this thread that wasting 2 gallons is better than wasting 5 gallons (and I could always pass the bad ones off on some drunk friends). Even 5 gallon starter sets cost much more, and knowing myself I'll want to experiment a lot (and I'll get pissed at a bad 5 gallon batch). Also, If I really want to wait that whole 3-4 weeks for a good brew then a second kegermentor can provide me with twice as much (again with more options for experimenting).

Either way, I've already ordered a couple of extra mixes from the company and I'm waiting for them to be delivered (and I only started my first brew on Friday night). Since I already ordered those in kits (with the booster) I'll try out those flavors, and then I'll experiment with jldesign and freguy's ideas after that.

Once again, many thanks.
GoodBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #22
chask31
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well if you want to try some good belgians, I would suggest Petite Abeille. On monday its half price for all belgians....and they have a menu of about 30 belgians. They have 4 or so locations, and the mussels and burgers are amazing. www.petiteabeille.com

Croxley Ales is also good for wing night on monday and wednesday. About 50 beers on tap. It is in alphabet city, but I usually go to the one on the island (new hyde park and rockville centre) http://www.croxley.com/

Down the block from mcsorleys is another spot that has alot of belgians called burp castle/the brewist monk. its on 7th street on the east side. and of course mcsorleys as long as it is not a busy night.

Those are the beer spots...not the spots to pick up girls really

Tap #1: Cucumber Honey Wheat Ale
Tap #2: Rye Ale
Primary #1: empty
Primary #2: empty
On Deck: Wit

Old 05-16-2006, 03:28 AM   #23
apneaman
Recipes 

Default Mr. Beer Kit

My wife gave me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas a couple of years ago but I've only recently started making beer. The first was the Derailment Porter and it turned out to be very good. The second was the Honey Brown Ale, it's ok but not my type of beer but my brothers like it. I'm working on a Blueberry Bock, it's in secondary fermentation right now. I'm thinking about making the West Coast Pale Ale that came with the kit tomorrow. I like the small size fermentor keg and I might get another one so I can make two differnt brews a week apart.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:45 AM   #24
sweepking
Recipes 

I have been brewing for about 3 years now, and I have never moved past the Mr. Beer system. The Mr. Beer system is easy to use, and I have had great success with many of the recipes on their site. I don't drink (or have enough people around to drink) the amount of beer that a 5 gallon system would produce, and I don't really see the benefit in doing complicated all grain brews. A friend of mine does all grain, and just this past fall he did an all grain pumpkin, and I did the Pumpkin Lager listed on the Mr. Beer site. We actually both agreed mine came out better. That could be due to a lot of things, but the point is that the Mr. Beer system can work just fine. It is a high quality, food grade fermenter, and despite trying a number of other malt extracts based on things I read in forums, I have decided to stick with Mr. Beer malt. A number of tips such as allowing for longer fermenting times, using specialty liquid yeasts, using all malt (no Booster) and adding grains will certainly improve the beer you can make with Mr. Beer. I have actually been very happy with company service too. Their brewmaster is quite knowledgeable and returns emails very quickly.

Too many people write off Mr. Beer based on the fact they try to make this hobby accessible to people with possibly limited budgets and maybe limited time. I particularly recall a review that I found on the internet that bashed Mr. Beer that some of you may have seen. The reviewer stated that he read the directions verbatim and made a barely drinkable mess. At one point he contended that the Mr. Beer instructions did not say anything about sanitation. Funny, my Mr. Beer directions have that as a first and crucial step. They have a fine product that builds a good base for learning this craft versus some of the other quickie systems such as The Beer Machine (drink beer off yeast?!) The system has sold over 500,000 units, and I think it is doing a great service for this hobby. I encourage anyone reading this board interested in trying out the hobby to give Mr. Beer a try. Just get some Light Malt Extract (or Mr. Beer's Pale Export Unhopped Malt Extract) to replace the Booster with your West Coast Pale Ale kit, and you will be hooked.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #25
Crash501
Recipes 

I'm new to the boards, and after making my first batch with Mr. Beer of beer 2 weeks ago, and Hard cider... finished yesterday.

I AM HOOKED

I'm looking now at the best kit to go to, because the reward of pouring a glass of brew you made, it having a nice head and great taste is just amazing lol. I cant wait to do two fermentations etc and make better and better beer. Good luck with your Mr Beer

Quick Reply