Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr. Beer First Tasting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
ssult1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich8 View Post
Lol, are you married? My wife says it smells like a feed store.. and I think it smells delicious. I to stick my head over the boiling wort and just breathe in all its goodness. I also like to make her smell my beers and her response is always "It smells like beer." She just doesn't understand... poor soul.
The smell of mashing and boiling wort is heavenly in my opinion. No complaints from my wife or daughters. My wifes only complaint is the moisture in the house when boiling up a batch so I have to ventilate by cracking open a couple windows. I make 2.5 gallon all grain BIAB batches on the kitchen stove.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Mr. Beer's Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner.

Meh.

I am not sure what taste I am supposed to expect.

It looks beautiful. Smells good. Has continuous bubbles running through, better than beers from commercial brands. The head is nice... started as about an inch at pouring.

The taste though, is a bit bland. Perhaps I was expecting something different. After a few gulps though, I can drink like any other beer. I have no choice but to share with family who is coming in tomorrow... I doubt that they are going to understand that even though I fermented the beer, I didnt really pick the indgredients. I feel like Bill Parcels on this one.

But, I will have my first personal brews by new years. Unless I buy a CO2 kit, then it could be earlier.

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...flavor_profile
here's a lesson i learned this week. i opened the second bottle of one of my very first beers, a couple weeks after i opened the first one.

the first taste (2 weeks ago) was "acceptable". it looked good, and smelled good, but it was a little harsh on the tongue.

the second taste, yesterday, was absolutely amazing. that extra couple weeks made all the difference in the world. doesn't help you with company coming, but just thought it might be worth sharing.

btw... something i learned from cooking for company... NEVER APOLOGIZE... just serve it, and let them drink it and enjoy it... don't do the full critique for them. They will either like it, or not... just don't give them things to dislike before you even open the bottle

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
cheesecake
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadshomebrewing View Post
here's a lesson i learned this week. i opened the second bottle of one of my very first beers, a couple weeks after i opened the first one.

the first taste (2 weeks ago) was "acceptable". it looked good, and smelled good, but it was a little harsh on the tongue.

the second taste, yesterday, was absolutely amazing. that extra couple weeks made all the difference in the world. doesn't help you with company coming, but just thought it might be worth sharing.

btw... something i learned from cooking for company... NEVER APOLOGIZE... just serve it, and let them drink it and enjoy it... don't do the full critique for them. They will either like it, or not... just don't give them things to dislike before you even open the bottle

Well put

Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #24
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssult1 View Post
The smell of mashing and boiling wort is heavenly in my opinion. No complaints from my wife or daughters. My wifes only complaint is the moisture in the house when boiling up a batch so I have to ventilate by cracking open a couple windows. I make 2.5 gallon all grain BIAB batches on the kitchen stove.
I'm going to spare my daughter and wife since I do not have the oven hood exhausting out through the roof.

I will just go ahead and steep the grain and boil the hops in a slow cooker outside on the porch. This way everyone stays happy.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #25
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
I'm going to spare my daughter and wife since I do not have the oven hood exhausting out through the roof.

I will just go ahead and steep the grain and boil the hops in a slow cooker outside on the porch. This way everyone stays happy.
Back to rule number one of most households. "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy"!

Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #26
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Back to rule number one of most households. "If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy"!
Ne'er a truer word spoken

Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #27
schooner427
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I still have my Mr beer. I'm not ashamed to say I still use it once in awhile. Its great for a couple of brews they have, but for much better beer.... I still brew in the pot. My family says it stinks , but as my wife found out if you stay in the kitchen it had a much more pleasant aroma...

Quick Reply