Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr. Beer First Tasting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 773 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Higher temperatures during the fermentation will get you fusel alcohols. Once there they may mellow a bit with age but never really go away. Keep the temperature down in the mid to lower 60's for the next batch and see if you like the results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
I can't figure how people can complain about "stinking" up the house when brewing in the kitchen. It's only grain boiling in water. Ok there are some hops too, but "stink". No Way. I like to stand and stick my head over the boil kettle and breath in deeply thru my nose.
I like the smell even more since starting all grain, the grain mashing in the mash tun smells great.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Higher temperatures during the fermentation will get you fusel alcohols. Once there they may mellow a bit with age but never really go away. Keep the temperature down in the mid to lower 60's for the next batch and see if you like the results.
Thanks.

Who ever invents the fusel removal additive will be a millionaire. Or rather fusel conditioner.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

So today I am going to let the guests try the Mr Beer brew. But, I am not going to mention the 'headache' word. I am just gonna talk about how its a European beer and is supposed to taste a bit strong. :-)

I want to hear the feedback. I want to know if anyone complains.

I want to know if its just me or the beer. Im sure someone will love it. With that guy I'll send him home with a few bottles.

I'll fill you all in on the taste testing tonight.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
But I ask, could 75 degree fermentation levels with Mr. Beers yeast cause fusels?
Depends on yeast used....but as a general statement.....definately YES....that is high on temp side to ferment......definately could get some fusel alcohols.....with any beer...Mr. Beer extract recipe, all grain, etc.....

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Keep in mind he is using the proprietary Mr. Beer yeast and is intended to be used under normal household temps. I'm think low 60's may stall it out....ya think?
One of the first (and best) "experiments" I did while using the Mr. Beer kits was to throw away the yeast pack and pitch US-05. Mid 60's = perfect!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Well... tonight, I chilled the beer for several hours... last night stuck the warm beer in the freezer and drank it quicker.

Anyway, it tasted good tonight. I read the intended taste and it is supposed to have a taste like I am tasting.

Everyone liked it and no one complained.

One guy said it was strong... which is what I thought last night. According to Mr. Beer the ABV is only 3.7. So either the taste of the ingredients are bold, or the fusels are high (my opinion).

But for me, on a second night, I found it very drinkable.

All in all I call it a success for my 1st time... even though it was a Mr. Beer.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #18
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Cheers!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #19
hopsfan76
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, definitely from my limited experience with mr beer recipeS, time plus time and then a little more time. A good week in the fridge seemed to do wonders for me. I bought a mr beer off groupon for the sole purpose of acquiring an Lbk. But the deal included several ingredient kits so of course I brewed it up. Only got better with time. From crap, to drinkable to delicious. PersonAlly I have spent more time researching brewing in the last four months thn I ever spent studying in college. And I think the mr beer concept is nice to simplify brewing for the new brewer but as it is now, I don't bother with their recipe directions and I do it with my personal touches. And among those touches I add a dash of extra time. There are even some great videos online how to beer up a mr beer recipe. Toss the booster, steep some grains and add some hops. Even the HME extract they sell is just not hoppy enough for my tastes but the beer is a hit for my family who doesn't have the hop infatuation I have. So have fun with it. I am currently of the mind set that I need several batches going at once, so when I have the problem of beer not quite to peak , I throw it in the fridge and open another bottle from another batch. I hate beer shortage! Worst case lll go to the store and find a micro brew on sale and continue to be the family beer snob. But Iove being that snob, cuz it's delicious!

Ogri Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
I can't figure how people can complain about "stinking" up the house when brewing in the kitchen. It's only grain boiling in water. Ok there are some hops too, but "stink". No Way. I like to stand and stick my head over the boil kettle and breath in deeply thru my nose.
Lol, are you married? My wife says it smells like a feed store.. and I think it smells delicious. I to stick my head over the boiling wort and just breathe in all its goodness. I also like to make her smell my beers and her response is always "It smells like beer." She just doesn't understand... poor soul.

Quick Reply