Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr. Beer First Tasting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
ryno1ryno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Mr. Beer First Tasting

Mr. Beer's Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner.

Meh.

I am not sure what taste I am supposed to expect.

It looks beautiful. Smells good. Has continuous bubbles running through, better than beers from commercial brands. The head is nice... started as about an inch at pouring.

The taste though, is a bit bland. Perhaps I was expecting something different. After a few gulps though, I can drink like any other beer. I have no choice but to share with family who is coming in tomorrow... I doubt that they are going to understand that even though I fermented the beer, I didnt really pick the indgredients. I feel like Bill Parcels on this one.

But, I will have my first personal brews by new years. Unless I buy a CO2 kit, then it could be earlier.

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/p...flavor_profile

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It sounds like success to me! Your first beer, looks good, smells good, and it's drinkable. Nice!

Welcome to the addiction (hobby?)!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Is there a way to test alcohol after the fact? I never took measurements before.

I am not sure if I have a buzz or a headache from a bad beer batch :-)

It is pretty cool knowing that you can get drunk off of your own hobby!

Pretty cool and rewarding hobby.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Meh is wonderful!
- you brewed for the first time
- it did not grow an undesireable culture
- it is drinkable
- It may not be great, but put a few bottles aside for a few weeks. They may improve.

Go on to the next one!

Countless other people have started with Mr. Beer, done the basics, then jazzed up the recipe, moved on to extract brewing, and got sucked into the vortex of all-grain.

It's a slippery slope, my friend.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
Meh is wonderful!
- you brewed for the first time
- it did not grow an undesireable culture
- it is drinkable
- It may not be great, but put a few bottles aside for a few weeks. They may improve.

Go on to the next one!

Countless other people have started with Mr. Beer, done the basics, then jazzed up the recipe, moved on to extract brewing, and got sucked into the vortex of all-grain.

It's a slippery slope, my friend.
Yes... I am 3 days early because I want share it tomorrow rather than wait till Tuesday, the 2 week post bottling mark.

Maybe they will hate it and I will have it all to myself next week.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2185 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Mr Beer is your friend, follow him down the path of progression. I started with Mr Beer at Christmas of last year, I made 4 batches (the only really good one was a dressed up Oktoberfest Ale), found a groupon from Midwest for a 5gal kit with ingredients for $64. Went from 5gal extract to 5gal partial mash to 5/10gal all grain. It is a slippery slope my friend.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #7
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenH View Post
Mr Beer is your friend, follow him down the path of progression. I started with Mr Beer at Christmas of last year, I made 4 batches (the only really good one was a dressed up Oktoberfest Ale), found a groupon from Midwest for a 5gal kit with ingredients for $64. Went from 5gal extract to 5gal partial mash to 5/10gal all grain. It is a slippery slope my friend.
My wife saw me staring at the Mr Beer kit in the store one day.

She then bought it for me for my birthday. I procrastinated as usual and finally got around to brewing a batch 3 weeks later. Anyway, fast fwd to now, and I am stinking up the house with steeped grain and hop boiling the wort. She and my daughter were pissed last night that I stunk up the house. I told her that maybe I need to upgrade her kitchen vent to pipe the exhaust outside through the roof. All the while, she cant believe that she has created this monster.

I just tell her that she started it :-)

Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Is there a way to test for fusels?

The other day, I found that the temp in my dark tiled closet is about 75 degrees.

I have an extra fridge in my garage and plan to buy a thermostat temp controller later to temp control future wort.

But I ask, could 75 degree fermentation levels with Mr. Beers yeast cause fusels?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Is there a way to test alcohol after the fact? I never took measurements before.

I am not sure if I have a buzz or a headache from a bad beer batch :-)

It is pretty cool knowing that you can get drunk off of your own hobby!

Pretty cool and rewarding hobby.
Quote:
Is there a way to test for fusels?

The other day, I found that the temp in my dark tiled closet is about 75 degrees.

I have an extra fridge in my garage and plan to buy a thermostat temp controller later to temp control future wort.

But I ask, could 75 degree fermentation levels with Mr. Beers yeast cause fusels?
Quote:
Yes... I am 3 days early because I want share it tomorrow rather than wait till Tuesday, the 2 week post bottling mark.

Maybe they will hate it and I will have it all to myself next week.
These three Items may very well be connected. If you've been reading books and this forum now, I'm sure you've come to realize that even though Mr. Beer is a WONDERFUL way to get started making beer there are a lot of things they intentionally leave out to keep the process as simple as possible. Using measurements instead of, or at very least, in conjunction with time is one of the biggies. There goal (and that of most that begin brewing this way, myself included) is to make drinkable beer as quick as possible. The "fusels" you're tasting may just be the result of being too young (the beer, not you), and may very well go away in time. Patients you will find is your ally, but is certainly hard to come by in the beginning. Once you learn to let your beer tell you its done (hydrometer readings and taste etc) instead of a calendar or clock, you'll find yourself with better beer even if you follow the same recipe's.

BTW - No. Unfortunately you wont be able to get your current ABV without gravity readings, before and after fermentation. At least not without some hefty lab equipment....

Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Quote:
My wife saw me staring at the Mr Beer kit in the store one day.

She then bought it for me for my birthday. I procrastinated as usual and finally got around to brewing a batch 3 weeks later. Anyway, fast fwd to now, and I am stinking up the house with steeped grain and hop boiling the wort. She and my daughter were pissed last night that I stunk up the house. I told her that maybe I need to upgrade her kitchen vent to pipe the exhaust outside through the roof. All the while, she cant believe that she has created this monster.

I just tell her that she started it :-)
I can't figure how people can complain about "stinking" up the house when brewing in the kitchen. It's only grain boiling in water. Ok there are some hops too, but "stink". No Way. I like to stand and stick my head over the boil kettle and breath in deeply thru my nose.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Quick Reply