Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr. Beer Canadian Draft

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
chickenpickin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mr. Beer Canadian Draft

I just started a 4 gal. brew of Mr. Beer Canadian Draft refill kit. I actually combined two refill kits to make the 4 gal. I added 1 lb. of rice syrup solids to the mix. I wanted to kick the abv up a little but I was curious as to what to expect taste wise with the rice solids added. Did I screw up by adding that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1086 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

Depends on the type of beer you like... I think it will be a dry beer. I highly suggest fermenting this one around 65 or maybe a little cooler even (fermenter temp, not ambient) and give it some time, like at least 3 weeks in the fermenter so you don't wind up with much or any cidery flavors. I only did about 4 Mr Beer batches before jumping to 5 gal all grain batches and the last batch was 2.5 gallons with 2 cans of the HCCD, 1lb ultra-light DME, and a pack of the booster along with about .5oz Northern Brewer hops. It hasn't carbe'd and conditioned yet so I can't tell you much other than mine is a strong, hoppy monster.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
chickenpickin
Recipes 

I guess I should have let it ferment an extra week. I just taste tested a bottle after only 8 days in the bottle. It tastes like a hard apple cider. It is big time carbonated too. I may have to pour this batch out. I'll give it another week and try one. I should have never used the 1 lb. of rice solids. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.020. After 14 days fermenting I checked the Gravity 3 days in a row and it stayed at 1.020. I just checked the bottle I just tasted and it's still 1.020. It's carbonated like a champagne. I used 3/4 teaspoon per bottle. Granulated sugar.

I do realize that it's still pretty green after 8 days of bottle conditioning but I don't think I'm going to like this one.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenpickin
I guess I should have let it ferment an extra week. I just taste tested a bottle after only 8 days in the bottle. It tastes like a hard apple cider. It is big time carbonated too. I may have to pour this batch out. I'll give it another week and try one. I should have never used the 1 lb. of rice solids. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.020. After 14 days fermenting I checked the Gravity 3 days in a row and it stayed at 1.020. I just checked the bottle I just tasted and it's still 1.020. It's carbonated like a champagne. I used 3/4 teaspoon per bottle. Granulated sugar.

I do realize that it's still pretty green after 8 days of bottle conditioning but I don't think I'm going to like this one.
At 1.020, it got stuck while fermenting- yeast must have not liked the rice much and went dormant. When you bottle, you end up stirring it up a little, and it probably took another couple of points off, leading to overcarbonation. Be glad Mr Beer gives you plastic bottles- glass might not have held.
If you don't like it now, throw it in a dark corner and forget about it. One day, three months, six months, or even a year later, you'll find it again, and try it. I bet it'll improve, but only time will tell if its just less nasty, adequate, or perhaps even pretty good.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon

If you don't like it now, throw it in a dark corner and forget about it. One day, three months, six months, or even a year later, you'll find it again, and try it. I bet it'll improve, but only time will tell if its just less nasty, adequate, or perhaps even pretty good.
+1 for letting it sit a while. If you still don't like it, it is still great for cooking!

Bratwurst, beer bread, beef stew... just about anything that calls for water can sub beer! :-)

Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
chickenpickin
Recipes 

It is in glass bottles.....12 oz....and has been for 8 days. I'm thinking I would have already had bottle bombs by now.......Talk about a head on a beer....man!!I think I'll try another bottle in a couple weeks.

I wish now I had spent the money on another great pale ale like my last one.

Quick Reply