Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
agcorry00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTiger
Well damn guys. Lol. I pitched my yeast on my first batch (how's that for lingo from the noob...lol) at 8pm and capped the lid. Just went in to look and shined a light in and that bugger is bubbling away! Nice layer of foam on top already. That is a good thing, right?
Yep. Beer is occurring. The hard part is to now ignore it for 2-3 weeks.

"We don't sell Duff, we sell Fudd."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Let's keep personal remarks and off topic chatter out of this forum, ok?

This is the "beginner's beer brewing forum", so let's discuss that. We're not going to talk about personalities, or slam others. Thanks!

Enoch52 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #23
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 20

After brewing many decades ago, I stopped because I had a kid, moved, job change, yada, yada, yada. I had given most of my equipment away and didn't know if I was going to get the bug again so I got a Mr. Beer kit after a friend made up a tweaked recipe. It was very good. I tried the kit and wasn't impressed but added things to it and have made some very good beer.
Is it as good as my all grain and partial beers? No, but it ain't bad if you tweak the kits.
I still use my little brown kegs for small test batches and to teach friends how to do all grain in smaller sizes.
I think the Mr. Beer forum are some of the friendliest folks on the net. No judging or cliques.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

On the topic of the Mr Beer kits, I noticed the other day that Sears had displays of them everywhere. I saw them at the entrance to the appliance section and near the register in the tool dept. I'm sure they have them out for Christmas shoppers. Since they're not expensive I'll bet they get a lot of impulse buys with the displays.

Rick

Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #25
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I noticed that I havent said what I was brewing...It is this from Mr. Beer that came with my kit-
"Classic American Light
Pale Straw color, mild in flavor and lighter bodied with a crisp, dry finish. A true to character representation of our nation’s favorite beer style. Serve ice cold for a clean, refreshing taste that has passed the test of time."

Anyone try this from Mr. Beer? Good, bad, or indifferent?

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #26
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

I just bought one as a gift for my buddy tonight. I started on a Mr Beer about 2 years ago now I think? Brewed about 4 or so batches of completely alright beer with it and then sprung for a 5 gallon kit. I still have the Mr. Beer stashed away in a cabinet and I'm sure I'll find something to do with it at some point. I think they're great to start with and learn! I enjoyed it because prior to Mr. Beer I was making hooch in apple juice jugs with powdered sugar and bakers yeast! I wanted to play with fermentation and learn about it and "see it in action". My GF got me the premium Mr. Beer as an anniversary gift and I hit the ground running. No more apple hooch, lol. I consider Mr. Beer the thing that actually got me into brewing.

Enjoy your time with it, you'll want bigger things sooner than you realize! lol. Most of all, have fun!

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~
GeorgiaTiger Likes This 
Old 11-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #27
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily View Post

Enjoy your time with it, you'll want bigger things sooner than you realize! lol. Most of all, have fun!
And then you'll discover the joys of small batch brewing, and realize that you can do 2.5 gallon all grain test batches on your stovetop and ferment them in your little brown keg, and even lager them in your fridge, and either blow the dust off it, wish you hadn't gotten rid of it, or do like quite quite a lot of folks on here do, search through garage sales and craigslist for more than one of them.

Along with wine jugs for even smaller batch beer/wine making.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #28
bscott1011
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Mr beer was my gateway to home brewing. After my first two batches i started researching on here. Mr beer kits can make decent beer with a little work like using dme instead of booster and steeping specialty grains to add flavor. I still use my lil brown keg regularly.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I challenge anyone that says they made a truly GREAT beer from a [100%] mr. beer kit (and ingredients, with NO modifications)...
I made a GREAT beer with the old Gila Monster Dopplebock recipe.
I believe it was 4 cans of the old type Mr. Beer malt and liquid Wheat yeast.

I also make some great beer with 5 gallon extract kits, so much so that I didn't think I needed to bother with all grain. But yeah, I did all grain too, in 2.2-3.0 gallon batches.

Brewing since '08
1-88) - Gone
89) Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - conditioning

Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #30
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

This is what she looks like 72 hours after capping the lid on it. Looks like something exploded in there. Is that normal?

image-1818767712.jpg  

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Quick Reply