LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
GeorgiaTiger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Mr Beer

After thinking about making wine for awhile and doing a lot if reading here, I decided tonight to just go with beer. Went and bought myself a Mr Beer (don't judge me lol). Well, got home and got my first batch of beer going. Just poured the yeast and sat the keg in a dark room.

Any thoughts on the Mr Beer other than it sucks to be me? We all have to start somewhere, right? I just hope it ends up drinkable.

Allen
"Im an airlock sniffer...I sniff airlocks"
Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1275 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 514

I've never used Mr. Beer, but there's an entire sticky thread dedicated to it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/mr-b...estions-46360/

You'll be surprised how difficult it is to screw up making beer. It's a rather forgiving process.

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Pale Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild (Infected) Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Did you check the date on the extract can?

Good luck with it.

Rick

Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

It doesn't suck to be you, it's awesome to be you. You are making beer. Where no alcohol previously existed, alcohol will soon exist. Congratulations!!

Old 11-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Euripidez
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Have some confidence, man! Many of us here started with Mr.Beer

I made some huge mistakes (A/c went out, ferm temp got up to 85...fusel alcohol city), pitched yeast at 100 degrees, and instead of boiling the priming sugar, I just sprinkled it in the bottles (dont do this..haha) and it still was very drinkable. Not world-class beer by any means, but enough to get me interested.

In fact, I would prefer my butchered Mr.Beer to my first two batches of "real" extract kit beers. I made a bunch of mistakes, but all my beer is drinkable and enjoyable. I also prefer my butchered Mr.Beer to bud light any day of the week.

Just have fun and don't take the jargon and depth of this forum too seriously. Relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew!

Cheers.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Only things I've ever tried that came from such a kit wasn't all that good. Worse than commercial beer in fact. Luckily I didn't make/brew it (someone else brought it with him to a brew-day). The person that made it was happy with it, since his main goal was to get F'd up on it. What he called them, were not even close to what they were (beer styles). Not sure if the kits just suck that badly, or he did.

I would advise going out and getting a decent starter kit (after reading up more on the actual brewing process) and at least brew something from an extract (with specialty grains) kit. Compare the two once finished and I'm sure you'll never buy a mr. beer ingredient kit again.

BTW, I never bothered with a mr. beer kit. Went directly to one of your standard (dual bucket) 5 gallon batch starter kits. Used slightly modified LHBS kits for the first two brews, then a heavily modified for the third batch before making my own recipes from the fourth one on. Very glad I never did the mr. beer stuff.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
agcorry00
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot
It doesn't suck to be you, it's awesome to be you. You are making beer.
Yes. Be proud of your Mr. Beer. Years ago I helped make some Mr. Beer batches and they turned out fine, despite our profound ignorance (my friend stuck his hand in the fermenter to retrieve a wayward spoon, still tasted ok). (edit - the batches tasted ok, but not great.)

"We don't sell Duff, we sell Fudd."

Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
bobot
Recipes 

Brewing one's first beer can be quite intimidating. It seems like there is a lot of stuff to keep track of, a lot of equipment to get just right, a lot of .... ya ya ya.
Mr. Beer.
It is going to make you 2 gallons of beer, and as you've seen, it wasn't that bad. (process wise)
As an icebreaker, it's a wonderful invention. And as a way of dealing with the initial homebrewing anxiety, it's a godsend.
However, you'll soon see that you have no control over the recipe, the process, or the finished product. But so what. Brew a few Mr. Beers, then get a 5 gallon kit.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by agcorry00 View Post
Yes. Be proud of your Mr. Beer. Years ago I helped make some Mr. Beer batches and they turned out fine, despite our profound ignorance (my friend stuck his hand in the fermenter to retrieve a wayward spoon, still tasted ok). (edit - the batches tasted ok, but not great.)
I challenge anyone that says they made a truly GREAT beer from a [100%] mr. beer kit (and ingredients, with NO modifications). Once you progress to at least extract with specialty grains, you're going to be making much better beer. Go all grain and then you'll have total recipe control.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
bobot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I challenge anyone that says they made a truly GREAT beer from a [100%] mr. beer kit (and ingredients, with NO modifications). Once you progress to at least extract with specialty grains, you're going to be making much better beer. Go all grain and then you'll have total recipe control.
I challenge anyone to say they made a truly GREAT beer their first freeking time around, Jeez!???
The OP is new to the game, and you're talking about all grain brewing??
WTF

Quick Reply