Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > mr.beer+ 1lb table sugar!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
redstar89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default mr.beer+ 1lb table sugar!

Okay i added about 1 lb of white granulated table sugar to a mr.beer all malt Oktoberfest kit! and brought the water up to a little over 2 gallons its going wicked in teh fermentation what can i expect from this bath? How much alco the flavor and also how do i get it to carb up good the mr. beer 1 liter requirements hardly carb it at all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

It'll be drier and boozier than the recipe called for. Carbonation won't change - follow your directions to carb per normal.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar89 View Post
Okay i added about 1 lb of white granulated table sugar to a mr.beer all malt Oktoberfest kit! and brought the water up to a little over 2 gallons its going wicked in teh fermentation what can i expect from this bath? How much alco the flavor and also how do i get it to carb up good the mr. beer 1 liter requirements hardly carb it at all!
What is it that you were trying to accomplish by adding the 1 lb of table sugar?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Were you trying to make ethanol to run your car on? You might as well because you most likely ruined your beer.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
redstar89
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

now why would that of ruined my beer?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Adding extra sugar will dry out your beer. If you put more sugars in which raises the ABV, you could go over the alcohol tolerance of the yeast and end up with residual sugars. Additionally if you add too much white sugar you can get strange ciderish flavors. Were you trying to make Malt liquor or something? I cannot personally see the rationale for adding a LB of white sugar to a 2 gal Mr. Beer but that is just me.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
VT-NAV
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 9

We need to cut the guy a little slack. Perhaps he's posting on the beginner forum because he just began? Of course people who've been brewing a long time know that adding a pound of table sugar to a 2-gallon batch is a bad idea, but he clearly does not -- because he's just new to the hobby. The purpose of this subforum is to welcome new people into the hobby with constructive feedback, not make them feel dumb.

In his defense, I'll say that the Mr. Beer directions (at least the version I read several years ago) explicitly state that you can add sugar to adjust ABV, but are very vague as to how much can be added. They are also vague on the potential negative impact of adding too much.

To the OP: if you were brewing a larger, 5-gallon batch, then adding a pound of table sugar would have a much less noticeable effect. The proportion of sugar to extract in your 2-gallon Mr. Beer batch is quite high, and will most likely result in some off-flavors -- chiefly, a strong scent and taste of what can only be likened to cider.

My first batch ever was a Mr. Beer kit I got for Christmas in 2001. I got around to brewing it several years later. Stale extract + ancient yeast + corn sugar that had melted and then hardened into a brick = beer that tastes like a 50/50 mix of Mich Ultra and apple cider vinegar. We still keep a bottle in the medicine cabinet in case we need to induce vomiting.

If the beer does turn out terrible, I strongly urge you to consider trying again with a proper setup. If you have a homebrew shop nearby, stop in some time and look at what a basic brewing setup. After my abyssmal brewing failure, I bought a copy of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian on Amazon. I read up on the hobby, figured out what I did wrong, and got back into it with the proper tools and ingredients.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 504

True. My apologies if I sounded accusing or mocking. It is true that we all start out at the beginning and should not judge. Probably should have worded it slightly different, though usually it is better to ask what effect it would have before rather than after

And Mr. Beer can make good beer. Heck many people here use their Little Brown Kegs (LBK's) to brew up small batch or test batches using regular ingredients and not just the canned worts. OP. Ask and we will answer what we can. Its just oftentimes when we start hearing about pounds of table sugar being added on a first brew we start hearing about bread yeast and hootchmaking and kind of get our backs up. Homebrew is what we do. Prison Wine... yecch.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
agcorry00
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The first time I ever brewed was with a friend and his Mr. Beer kit. Even after dropping a fork in the cooled wort and retrieving it with a bare hand it turned out ok. We called it Stinkfist Ale.

"We don't sell Duff, we sell Fudd."

Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar89 View Post
now why would that of ruined my beer?
1 pound of sugar into a 5 gallon batch could be a disaster, your batch is just a little over 2.........

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Quick Reply