Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Moving on up...from beginner to intermediate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Google works best. To search here try this site:homebrewtalk.com key words here
example site:homebrewtalk.com steeping grains how too
still might not find what you really want but at least it will get rid of most of the crap

Brew On!

LTownLiquorPig Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by grem135 View Post
Google works best. To search here try this site:homebrewtalk.com key words here
example site:homebrewtalk.com steeping grains how too
still might not find what you really want but at least it will get rid of most of the crap
awesome, there ya go.

they say 160° for 20-30 minutes, that will definitely work too

tomorrow I'm redoing my very first recipe, which is steeping & extract. the first time I did the boil steeping method and the batch didn't turn out very good, so I'm doing the hot steeping this time.

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2004 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

I did a biab partial boil for my 5 gallon partial mash beers. The 1st was a midwest cascade pale ale kit,the 2nd my own recipe that changed the grains a little from the list of grains from the kit. But it was still 5lbs of grains in 1.5G of distilled water on the first,spring water for the 2nd,same amount. Mashed for 60 minutes,still having trouble maintaining mash temps. But still stayed between 152-160F,mostly about 155F for the majority of the hour.
Sparged with 165F 1.5G of water to get 3 gallons of wort for the boil. I used the same 5G SSBK for the mash & boil as for my AE brews (AE=All Extract,a term I came up with last month). I saved the plain Breisse gold LME 3.3lb on the first,3lb Munton's plain extra light & light DME for the 2nd for flame out late additiions. The fresh wort was great for all hop additions. And the same old equipment I've been using works fine for pm,just got a large grain bag to add to the process. And since the SS stock pot set we bought was 4 nested pots,I used the 3G one to heat sparge water. I got aftermarket heating elements for our electric stove that heat up way faster,which def helped. I posted a link for them in my profile.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
doubletapbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quick question on brew kettle thickness. How thick is a good brew kettle? I have felt some pretty cheap ones and wondered if there are some that are too thin for the prolonged heat exposure.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have a small 2 gallon lunch cooler that i steep my grains in since i can't seem to keep temps stable. I just heat water the water a few degrees warmer and drop my bagged grains in. With 10 minutes or so left i fire up my brewpot to get a head start on the boil. Dump in the "tea" from the cooler and let the bag drain some more ( or squeeze ). Works for me. Got the idea from a brewing TV episode.

Brew On!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #26
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 866 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
I have a small 2 gallon lunch cooler that i steep my grains in since i can't seem to keep temps stable. I just heat water the water a few degrees warmer and drop my bagged grains in. With 10 minutes or so left i fire up my brewpot to get a head start on the boil. Dump in the "tea" from the cooler and let the bag drain some more ( or squeeze ). Works for me. Got the idea from a brewing TV episode.
this is my plan with my steeping grains. have a 16-qt cooler.*

shiny new propane burner, so no idea how fast it will heat water. will get additional water up to 160° and dunk sparge

* have measured the inside dimensions on several coolers, and they're not as much as they say they are. the 70-qt I'm buying is less than 14 gallons (≈55 quarts). my 16-qt is actually 4 gallons

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #27
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Another idea is to preheat your oven to 155F or whatever steeping temp you want, and place the kettle in the oven.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Bottled - HipHOPapotamus IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - Looking for good Brown or Stout

Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #28
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That would work too, but then i would have to heat my oven. Think of it as practice for partial mash. LOL

Brew On!

Quick Reply